New to the forum

William Lewis

All-Pro
Name
William Lewis
New to the forum, found it looking for Nikon info because I recently switched from m4/3 to a Nikon D3200 (and probably an F90x just because). Back in film days I mostly did either rangefinders (Kiev & Canon) or SLRs from Canon with the T-90 & A2E remaining my favorite SLRs though I did use an F2 for a short time before giving in to digital. That F2 probably was the big influence that made me search for a cheap enough Nikon rather than Canon DSLR.

I am doing a Mike Johnston (The Online Photographer) inspired One Camera/One Lens/One Year project with the D3200 and a 35/1.8 DX though I'll probably end up breaking that project if I do get that F90x & stick my 50/1.8 on it.

Goals: get a set of Series E manual focus primes (I have the 50/1.8 and am fascinated by them) and a DX format wide prime (probably 20/2.8 AF that is MF only on my body but I would still prefer over a zoom even though the 18-55 VRII I have is really quite good).

DSC_0061.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Welcome William. The D3200 has, I've read, sort of a cult following with its excellent sensor and light weight. I like the tonal range in your image. Make yourself at home and hope you enjoy it here.

Welcome Aboard!

Feel free to ask any Nikon question you want.

Such as, "Which are the first 20 Nikkor lenses I should pick up?"...

The E-Series 70~150/3.5 Zoom is highly regarded.

These days, many of the Ai and non-Ai Nikkors are going at great prices. Zoom lenses are especially cheap these days. The Nikkor 80~200/4.5 was an $800 lens "in the day". These days: $40.

Such as, "Which are the first 20 Nikkor lenses I should pick up?"...

:LOL:

I am kicking myself for selling the pre-ai's I had with the F2 prior to going m4/3 but that's a typical foolishness.

Right now I have a 50/1.8 Series E, 35/1.8 DX, 50/1.8 AF-S G Special Edition & a 18-55 VRII kit lens that is good enough that I'll actually use it rather than get too worked up about the lack of a cheap DX wide angle solution. I am planning to buy a F90x tomorrow (assuming it doesn't sell first & since the F100's & F4's are out of my budget range) I'll have to start looking for AI lenses. Pity the 45/2.8 AI-P is so bleeping expensive since a Nikkor badged Tessar would make me unreasonably happy.

Pity the 45/2.8 AI-P is so bleeping expensive since a Nikkor badged Tessar would make me unreasonably happy.

I have the original 45/2.8 GN-Nikkor, "it's good"- but not as good as the Nikkor-H 50/2. The latter was also made in Ai mount... would be great on the F-90x. I still have the N-8008s, which used to be a Digital SLR... a dead DCS-200c. Same finder as the F-90x, 4-AA batteries. a bit smaller and lighter. I had the N-90s in the form of a Kodak DCS-420 "Digital SLR"...

35mm: Look for a Nikkor-O or Nikkor-OC that has been "Ai converted", or a Nikkor 35/2 Ai.

Random Ebay Example:

For a 100 range: The Nikkor 105/2.5 Ai version - so many of them, you can usually find a bargain.

Random Ebay Example- but I have bought from this seller, they were very conservative in rating.

And the 28: "In Nikon Land" you are better off getting the 24/2.8, which features close-range-correction. The 28/2.8 did not add this until the Ais series, and it is way too much.

I prefer the older version of this lens, have this version. The one shown here was Ai converted by cutting the aperture ring.

Factory Ai converted:

ALSO on the list to look at: 135/3.5

As far as I know- Nikon's last Sonnar formula F-Mount lens.

Thank you! I just hosed this months toy budget (F90x & MB-10 on the way) but that's a list of lenses that will remain helpful. I should have just stuck with Nikon rather than that detour through m4/3 land. Don't get me wrong, they were good cameras and I got some very good images with them. I'm just finding myself reminded how nice Nikon & Nikkor are to work with.

I bought an EP2 when they were first out, and had one modified for "full-spectrum". Got a lot of use out of the latter. I keep an E-PL2 for my P&S.

But- there is something about the Nikon. I just pulled out the N8008s to test a 28/2.8 AF-Nikkor first series. Almost 30 years old, all working.
n8008s.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Back