Fuji New to the XF1 - now X30..gone..now X100T..gone. I’m back

well, the X100T has been sold so the journey pauses / concludes ( again ). I took it out a couple of times last month but mainly felt that i needed an ICL camera and as much as i enjoyed the Fuji, i couldn't justify having it sit round for much of the time.

This weekend, I have the E-m1 mk2 and the Nikon D500 + 70-200 F2.8 on loan to test

Nice one, Damian :) But...I’ve learned that cameras don’t provide mojo. It comes from within. I lost mine too, ages ago. Now I just buy a camera if its one I have wanted for other reasons.
I know what you mean. Still, I can "give myself a shake" by picking up a new lens or an old used camera. I really like using my A7R3 for family pictures and new things. The AF and high ISO are really helpful. For "Challenge" pictures, however, the older bodies slow me down a bit and I have to shoot more carefully to overcome the limitations. The older bodies only have so much technical perfection so I have to compensate with subject and technique. Sometimes I want Ansel Adams' perfection, sometimes I want Avedon's portraits, and sometimes I want Cartier-Bresson's immediacy. Of course, what I always get is Steve's best effort. :redface:

Last edited:
Nice one, Damian :) But...I’ve learned that cameras don’t provide mojo. It comes from within. I lost mine too, ages ago. Now I just buy a camera if its one I have wanted for other reasons.
I completely agree and want to make one little addition (which will sound like a justification for buying new gear - but it's not as simple as that unfortunately :-D )
When one is lacking mojo and is at the point where just a little bit of mojo is coming back - the "right" camera (whichever one that is - that's where it gets tricky) can support and foster that little plant... and the wrong camera can squash it...

For me the right camera (at this moment) is the Sigma DP3m, because with it you can make beautiful images of mundane things - and it focusses close enough to be almost macro-ish... Since I'm not getting out into nature much right now, having a camera that allows to explore a "smaller world" helps...

(I always liked cameras that allow capture of everyday details - that's why I didn't get along with the Ricoh GR... It was a great camera - except for not being able to focus close enough for my needs/wants...)

The GR would frustrate me right now, where the DP3m inspires me to try things...
Unfortunately we mostly find out what works for us through trial and error... So it takes a lot of time. (which means we shouldn't try to rush ourselves neither :) )

Back in days of yore when you had a film camera for a decade, you got very familiar with it’s “personality”. That’s hard to achieve if you upgrade every year.
My parents gave me my first camera, a Praktica SLR, when I was 18. Perhaps I was more mature back then, but GAS was never an issue. I used that camera for almost 20 years until I discovered digital. I think that was also about the time I discovered the Internet. I'm not certain those were completely positive developments. No pun intended.

My parents gave me my first camera, a Praktica SLR, when I was 18. Perhaps I was more mature back then, but GAS was never an issue. I used that camera for almost 20 years until I discovered digital. I think that was also about the time I discovered the Internet. I'm not certain those were completely positive developments. No pun intended.

In all fairness, digital cameras are only now reaching the maturity of design and features that film cameras had for decades. I think if one picks up a new digital camera today, one can easily own it a decade without missing out on too much offered by new cameras during that time.

True, i've had the d500 for a few years now and whilst i'd ( sometimes ) like something lighter, that comes with more money and as a hobbiest i don't have deep enough pockets to move systems for a minor inconvenience.

The d600 that i got last year for not much money does the FF stuff perfectly well when needed

In all fairness, digital cameras are only now reaching the maturity of design and features that film cameras had for decades. I think if one picks up a new digital camera today, one can easily own it a decade without missing out on too much offered by new cameras during that time.
It is my hope that the 2 digital cameras that make up my collection will last for a long time.

Another 2 and a half years have passed and I’m back ( again ) with Fuji.

Yesterday I received an X-T20 from MPB ( described as “excellent” condition but there is literally not a mark on it, it’s mint ) and the Viltrox 23 f1.4 and 33 f1.4.

One thing I’ve noticed with the Viltrox is that adding a filter makes putting the hood on pretty tricky. User error or commonplace ?

My aim is to also add an 18mm f2 as my walkabout / jacket pocket lens..

Hopefully I can produce some reasonable images soon to post here…

Another 2 and a half years have passed and I’m back ( again ) with Fuji.

Yesterday I received an X-T20 from MPB ( described as “excellent” condition but there is literally not a mark on it, it’s mint ) and the Viltrox 23 f1.4 and 33 f1.4.

One thing I’ve noticed with the Viltrox is that adding a filter makes putting the hood on pretty tricky. User error or commonplace ?

My aim is to also add an 18mm f2 as my walkabout / jacket pocket lens..

Hopefully I can produce some reasonable images soon to post here…
What keeps you coming back to Fuji? And what keeps you giving it up?

I imagine a perusal of this quite long thread would fill in some answers, but how about a TL/DR recap?

- K

It’s probably a mixture of rose tinted glasses and GAS

I‘ve had a Nikon set up for years and this had several lenses years ago. That meant that I lost the portability and the “always with me” of something pocketable., which is why I bought the XF1 originally.

When that died, I got another small Fuji but was not always happy with the IQ so that went and I got the X100T. I loved the output and the fact that it made me think about what I was doing but the lack of articulated screen meant that it just wasn’t really suitable for my needs.

So I went back to m43 with an e-m10.2 and a p20. At the time, I didn’t have the money to go full Fuji and I’d had m43 before.

I’ve long had this thing in my head that it’s not the gear but the person holding it that makes the photo so I would champion the underdog. M43 can’t do sport ? Meh, let’s see

Rationally, it made no sense - I have a d500 after all…

The 10.2 was replaced with a 1.2 and then came a new more lenses. Over the last few years, and possibly due to Covid restrictions, I’ve taken less landscape and travel photos and more car show / meet photos. So my “want” list changed, more subject isolation but not at the cost of kit size or image quality. Due to GAS, my m43 kit often stayed at home in favour of iPhone snaps but I got no joy from that…

10 days ago, I decided to make the change back to Fuji again. Limit my purchases this time, don’t buy lenses that sit in the cupboard. So my m43 kit was packed up, along with a hardly used d3400, and sold.

and that’s where I am now. I need to change the settings on the X-T20 and get the quick menu to my needs… and then get out and take some photos..

A couple of snaps from north Greece last week

Snapseed.jpeg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)
Snapseed.jpeg
IMG_2174.jpeg
IMG_2170.jpeg
IMG_2186.jpeg

I had a Kodak Instamatic before I got the Praktica Super TL, Tony. For many years that was a satisfying tool till I realized that I needed spot metering and some other features. That was the time when OM-4 took over, and 16 years later EM-5. Next might be OM System OM-1.

Last edited:
Back