Leica New Voigtlander Lens: Ultron 75mm F1.9

This new lens looks not like a Sonnar - it is rather a modern type of lens.
- I have a 75mm Summarit-M, has a 6-element, 4-group double Gauss design also featuring anomalous partial dispersion plus it has high refractive index elements. I really like it. I use it mostly very wide open at f2.5. It is modern. But portraits do not look 'flat' because of the thin focal plane.
The new 1.9/ 75mm VM lens to me is also a double gauss, with two elements instead of a true symmetrical one in front of the doublets. This doubling in front is found a lot. The front element is nicely large, often the two min groups have the same size.

A new 'Sonnar' design would be nice, but then the rear elements would have to be three elements in one group, the specialty of the group being a design where if i remember correctly it has intermittent over- and under correction in the three elements, the whole being pleasing in having an extended focal plane sort of but also giving some focal drift when changing the aperture.

The sample images look nice. The images have a bokeh that fits in with my favourite 85mm - the J-9. I see no CA on the leaf by the water - I think that is very promissing.

Sonnar layout.
MC & SC.

For my tastes, it looks fantastic.
The diagram they have is for a Double-Gauss with the front element of a 1-2-2-1 formula split into 2 elements of lower power. This is the same layout as the 1959 Nikkor-S 5.8cm F1.4. Roger Hicks spoke very highly of the Nikkor, I've had one for 20 years now. Very unique rendering in the Nikon world.

The Jupiter-9 is a 1-3-3 Sonnar, 7 elements in 3 groups. Common designs: There are also 1-3-2 (6 in 3) Sonnars, 1-3-1 (5 in 3), and 1-2-1 (4 in 3) Sonnars. There are some unusual ones as well.

Last edited:
I checked the Voigtlander site. It only shows the 75 Nokton. There is no mention of the Ultron. I am curious as to why the Cosina and Voigtlander sites are different
The Voigtländer site takes quite some time to update occasionally; more to the point, it's not until the new lenses go on sale that the Voigtländer site is updated, usually.

I've taken a good look at this lens; FM already has quite a nice review of it. But I'm sticking with one of my favourite lenses, the Summarit-M 75mm f/2.4. I simply don't need anything else. I'd find it hard to resist if I did use the 75mm focal length more often, though.

M.

The Voigtländer site takes quite some time to update occasionally; more to the point, it's not until the new lenses go on sale that the Voigtländer site is updated, usually.

I've taken a good look at this lens; FM already has quite a nice review of it. But I'm sticking with one of my favourite lenses, the Summarit-M 75mm f/2.4. I simply don't need anything else. I'd find it hard to resist if I did use the 75mm focal length more often, though.

M.
Thanks. That is good to know. I currently have the Elmarit 24 and the Voigtlander 35 Classic Nokton MC. I am considering trading in the Voitlander for the Lanthar 35 APO or getting the Lanthar 50 APO or if I can find one, the Summicron 50 Rigid. My son had a copy of it. I tried it on the M10-R and was quite pleased with the results.

Thanks. That is good to know. I currently have the Elmarit 24 and the Voigtlander 35 Classic Nokton MC. I am considering trading in the Voitlander for the Lanthar 35 APO or getting the Lanthar 50 APO or if I can find one, the Summicron 50 Rigid. My son had a copy of it. I tried it on the M10-R and was quite pleased with the results.
You basically can't go wrong with the APO-Lanthars - they're great lenses in every respect; the 50mm is my go-to lens, my favourite for that focal length. That said, I'm into experimenting as well - and the classic Summicron 50mm rigid sounds great; that said, it's not easy to find one with uncompromised optics - it pays to check.

The lens I'm enjoying the most lately is the new Voigtländer Nokton 35mm f/1.5 Aspherical; the new 75mm Ultron is a lens in the same vein as far as I can make out.

The new Nokton is very nice wide open and a very strong performer stopped down slightly; I own both the Nokton Classic 35mm f/1.4 and the second edition as well - they're smaller and cheaper than the new aspherical lens, but the Nokton 35mm f/1.5 renders in a very pleasing way indeed (in my personal opinion). In fact, it's the lens I shot with today ... All images I posted today were taken with it mounted on the M10. Of course, the 35mm APO-Lanthar is a better performer still - but the new Nokton is very charming indeed.

btw. Here's the link to the conclusion of the review for the 75mm on Fred Miranda: Voigtlander 75mm f/1.9 Ultron Review

M.

Back