new year maintenance suggestions

BBW

Legend
Jul 7, 2010
betwixt and between
BB
Definitely go for the James Bond style. As for the mug of soap and the boar bristle brush (which I am sure Mark does NOT use), my brother used to do this...and come to think of it so did my husband for a while. Luke, there is no way I can imagine dragging a razor over any part of my body without some sort of "glide power"! Of course, I am not one of the male species.:wink:

Oh Steve - I'd missed your post at first! Between your rock shaving and feeding your dog once a year whether he needs it or not, I'm aghast!:eek::biggrin:

stillshunter

Super Moderator Emeritus
Nov 5, 2010
Down Under
Mark
"Wet shaving"? How did you do it before? Electric?:eek:
Sorry BB, a little vague I know since we're all using water. I, like most men around the world, used to squeeze their shaving foam or gel from an aerosol and swipe it off with a cartridge shaver....you know those four or five blade proprietry contraptions.

'Wet shaving' is more about using a shaving brush to build a lather from a puck of soap or tub or cream and slice off the whiskers with the old double edge razor loaded with one of the old double edge blades...remember these things?

So one of my morning shaves looked like this...

Others even venture to using a straight razor/cutthroat

....those days are not far away for me either I suspect.

P.S., sorry BB was typing as you were:
Definitely go for the James Bond style. As for the mug of soap and the boar bristle brush (which I am sure Mark does NOT use), my brother used to do this...and come to think of it so did my husband for a while. Luke, there is no way I can imagine dragging a razor over any part of my body without some sort of "glide power"! Of course, I am not one of the male species.:wink:
Sorry to say this, but there is something special about using a badger or boar brush that can't be bested by one of my synthetics I'm afraid. I know, I know, and my wife doesn't much agree with this choice, but from purely and aesthetic perspective it is true...

Reactions: BBW

BBW

Legend
Jul 7, 2010
betwixt and between
BB
All is forgiven - I'm sure you're right about the badger/boar bristles and like to think they didn't have to give up their lives for this kind of luxurious shave. Thanks for the clarification as well as the photos! I bet this all does make a big difference.

Ray Sachs

Legend
Sep 21, 2010
Not too far from Philly
you should be able to figure it out...
I use an electric. My skin can't handle any sort of "acoustic" shaving, whether soap and brush or modern gels. If I shave every three days or so I can just about handle it, but otherwise it's a nasty scene. But modern electric is VASTLY better than it used to be and so much less hassle than wet shaving, so I don't mind a bit. Well into beard season now anyway, so just have to worry about my neck...

-Ray

Reactions: BBW

Lightmancer

Legend
Aug 13, 2011
Sunny Frimley
Bill Palmer
I've cultivated facial topiary of one sort or another since I was about eight. I don't remember the last time my upper lip saw the light of day - sometime in the last millennium, I think.

Some looks have been more successful than others - we will draw a kindly veil over both the "George Michael" and the "tripod" years.

I am too old to do a full hipster (and I refuse to eat a breakfast of artisan eggs and heritage bacon whilst sipping an enamel mug of LBV hand-rolled cocoa), but I do a nice line in late Victorian/Penny Dreadful at the moment...

Victorian Bill 2 par Lightmancer, on ipernity

N.B. I don't always dress like this... We dress for dinner on Christmas Day ;)

Latest posts

Latest threads

Top Bottom