New York, New York

Briar

Hall of Famer
Start spreading the news
I'm leaving today*
I want to be part of it
New York, New York

Actually I'm leaving for New York in a matter of weeks for an 11 night break and I'm so excited as I've never been before. I know lots of you have so I was kinda hoping you would PLEASE post your pics of New York with your thoughts, tips, etc.

My must sees are B&H, closely followed by Nycewheels, then all the touristy stuff. :)

I want you to tell me what cameras/lenses to pack and anything else you think I should know before I go!

How exciting, Karen! You will get many good suggestions.

First suggestion - go to see the September 11 Memorial & Museum. I haven't been yet, but will certainly go down the line.

I love the Upper West Side around Lincoln Center...and, of course, there are wonderful museums such as The Metropolitan Art Museum, The Frick, etc. You will need to plan a walk through Central Park and if the weather is warm enough, you might really enjoy a boat ride...the one that goes under the Brooklyn Bridge, etc. :D

Guggenheim - check opening times
Chrysler Building
other than that it was so long & too long ago

Wide angle may be helpful

How exciting, Karen! You will get many good suggestions.

First suggestion - go to see the September 11 Memorial & Museum. I haven't been yet, but will certainly go down the line.

I love the Upper West Side around Lincoln Center...and, of course, there are wonderful museums such as The Metropolitan Art Museum, The Frick, etc. You will need to plan a walk through Central Park and if the weather is warm enough, you might really enjoy a boat ride...the one that goes under the Brooklyn Bridge, etc. :D

We are staying near the financial district. My hubby wants me to jog across the Brooklyn bridge in the mornings so been out for a test run tonight around our neighbourhood! The verdict is I ain't fit! May have to buy a scooter from Nycewheels to keep up with him. These days I just run for the train. He's a former marathon runner! :rolleyes:

Maybe a show on Broadway? Food? Street Hotdog, Pizza, and some Deli.

I'm gonna see if I can get cheaper tickets for a broadway show when I get there. Very expensive to book them in advance. If you have seen any good shows let me know.

As to the food ... I was thinking about grabbing a "dirty water dog" at Coney Island or at a Yankees game.

Look for the hole-in-the-wall restaurants where locals line up. Never fails and worth the wait (though I usually have food to go and eat at the hotel where I can enjoy the food in peace). :)

Sent from my iPhone

You'll have to see the bright lights of Times Square and be sure to be photographed there ;) Queues for "the tall buildings" can be horrendous (as is age related memory loss!) We paid extra for the fast track and it was well worth it!

Take a couple of tours in the first couple of days and get the touristy stuff out of the way. Then just pick a different part of the city each remaining day and walk it until your feet bleed. But stop to eat and drink along the way. Particular favorites of mine are the West Village (there's no place nicer than Washington Square Park on a nice weekend), Chelsea, Soho, the whole Canal Street corridor with Chinatiwn on one side and Little Italy on the other, Central Park, Harlem, etc. you'll run out of time before you'll run out of city. I spent a month there and could easily spend several more. You have to walk through mid-town and Times Square once, but then I'd avoid it like the plague - it's an absolute zoo most of the time.

The Financial District isn't the place to spend a lot of time, but it's close to some cool stuff and there's good subway access down there.

Have fun!

-Ray

Yeah the sheer number of people there is gonna be challenging for me. I don't do so well in crowds! I get grumpy!

I do have a good pair of walking shoes so hopefully my feet won't be tortured too much.

Yeah the sheer number of people there is gonna be challenging for me. I don't do so well in crowds! I get grumpy!
Well, then don't go ANYWHERE near mid-town anywhere near the afternoon rush hour. The sidewalks are so crowded it's occasionally difficult to even move. I get claustrophobic and I'm not typically inclined that way...

-Ray

Well, then don't go ANYWHERE near mid-town anywhere near the afternoon rush hour. The sidewalks are so crowded it's occasionally difficult to even move. I get claustrophobic and I'm not typically inclined that way...

-Ray

I'm gonna see if I can get cheaper tickets for a broadway show when I get there. Very expensive to book them in advance. If you have seen any good shows let me know.

As to the food ... I was thinking about grabbing a "dirty water dog" at Coney Island or at a Yankees game.

Karen, once you're in New York, find a tkts ticket booth for Broadway theater tickets on the cheap. It's what the locals do. Tickets are usualy sold on the day of performance.

Discount Tickets for Broadway, Off-Broadway and off-Off Broadway Shows | Theatre Development Fund – TDF

Also, find time to take a Circle Line cruise around Manhattan Island.

Circle Line Sightseeing Cruises | Guided Boat Tours NYC

Thanks, Steve - right, The Circle Line is what I was referring to but couldn't remember the name!

And Lawrence is right about the Cloisters - beautiful views from there... http://www.metmuseum.org/visit/visit-the-cloisters. If the weather improves and we really start to have spring, it will be lovely...but we are quite a ways behind when it comes to flowers, so far. The Cloisters may not be something you'll go for since you're so used to ancient structures...however it is a really special place, if you have time. I've been in love with is since I was a little girl.

I've been thinking - Take a zoom / telephoto - so much detail up there that can't be seen with a wideangle

All & Everything will be a feast for your eyes & I can't wait to see what you get out of it

Spend as little time as necessary for the touristy stuff.
But take time to:
1. Walk the high line early in the morning and around sunset.
2. Rent a bicycle as Manhattan has become bike friendly and this a great way to get around and see a lot.
3. Walk or bike across brooklyn bridge and back.
4. Go to Battery Park to watch the sunset.
5. Have dinner at the hip Fig and Olive, there are about 3 or 4 of them in Manhattan, my favorite is the one in the Meatpacking District.
6. Have Sunday brunch at Pastis in the Meatpacking and feel like being in Paris (make sure to reserve a table as this place is always crowded with New Yorkers on Sundays).
7. If you like ethnic food and don`t mind not to be in a fancy place, walk down on 9th Ave (starting on 56th street) until around 33st street and you will find all the ethnic food you might ever have dreamed about.
8. Don`t miss a visit to some of the hip NYC rooftop bars for drinks.
9. The top of the rock (Rockefeller Center rooftop) is great for sightseeing. Usually much less crowded than the Empire State Building.
10. B&H and Adorama are worth a visit, though visits to these gear and gadget candy stores can get pretty costly.
11. And of course, a boat ride and visits to Central Park (great on a bicycle) are a must do when in Manhattan.

Back