New York Street

Ray Sachs

Legend
Name
you should be able to figure it out...
I've pretty much gotten away from posting a new thread every time I have a few new photographs I like - I'll usually put a photo or two up under an existing thread on a topic or for a particular camera. But a trip to Italy or even a full weekend in New York City seems to be worth a thread of it's own. So here are a bunch of shots from New York City this weekend. And old high-school buddy (also best man in my wedding) was in town from New Mexico and we stayed down by Washington Square, which is a whole lot nicer than the mid-town area IMHO, and got together with a couple of other very old friends. A great time. I only brought the Nikon A and RX1, shot mostly with the Nikon during the day and mostly with the RX1 in the evenings, but had both available pretty much all the time. There are a bunch more on Flickr, a few have already showed up in the street shooting thread, and I'll probably post a few in the Nikon A thread, because that camera doesn't get enough love around here, living in the shadow of it's slightly younger nearly twin brother, the GR...

Many processed with Snapseed on my ipad mini - others at home on my Mac...

10276221645_5441f25be2_b.jpg

New York 10-2013-985-Edit by ramboorider1, on Flickr

10257403083_af50f61492_b.jpg

NYC by ramboorider1, on Flickr

10276321073_d1e2a112db_b.jpg

New York 10-2013-897-Edit by ramboorider1, on Flickr

10257581464_532c1c1bd8_b.jpg

10276216275_64a887e723_b.jpg

New York 10-2013-1204-Edit by ramboorider1, on Flickr

Yes, her pants WERE that blue!
View attachment 78234

View attachment 78235

View attachment 78236

10257277444_985081e2da_b.jpg

View attachment 78238

10257283886_486b113d18_b.jpg

10257262976_5166b8881a_b.jpg

-Ray

These are great Ray. I'm gonna have to hunt down your month long thread of New York. My hubby has booked our flights for next year. He's been before but it will be my first visit. Nycewheels and B&H are my must sees when I get to New York and then ... here's hoping your pics will inspire us.

Thanks folks. Pete, you're WAAAAAAY too kind. I look at your work the same way. I think we view our own stuff as sort of mundane because it's what WE see naturally and other people's work as more interesting since we DON'T see that way, so it looks more impressive to us.

Karen, I just took the time to whittle down my very very many NYC shots taken over the years into one set of about 130-140 images, out of the many hundred I have scattered about on Flickr. Might save you some time, although I'm sure my diary thread from that month I was there last April is around here somewhere if you're a masochist! Here's the Flickr set:

New York City

-Ray

I need more Ray ... I'll hunt out your April thread in the morning.
I went and found it and was going to post a link, but unfortunately ALL of the Flickr links seem to be shot and every photograph just shows a "REF" and then the link language - not even clickable or anything. I think I've noticed that with another older thread recently so I wonder if something happened either during one of the forum's software updates or, seemingly more likely, when Flickr re-did it's site back in the Spring. I checked and my Italy stuff from this summer is still working, but the older stuff isn't. So I guess looking through the Flickr set directly is about all that's left of that...

-Ray

Wonderful series. What really impresses me are the colors which the Nikon A has captured. In particular the shot of the man in the golden jacket with the pork-pie hat and the crucifix. I had already gathered that the A is a fine B&W/monochrome shooter, but these colors....are extraordinary.
Thanks Miguel. The Nikon colors are very nice, but in the interest of disclosure, that shot was processed in Color Efex Pro and the colors altered somewhat. That said, the file certainly gave me plenty to work with.

-Ray

They are great! I like the depth of field you get. Do you typically use f8 or f11 to get that?
Thanks for sharing.
Thanks!

I rarely shoot smaller than f6.3. My standard street shooting setting for decent light is f6.3 with a manual focus distance of 2 meters. For really tight shooting I might pull the focus distance in closer and close down to 7.1. And in low light I leave focus at 2 meters but open the aperture to f3.5.

-Ray

Back