Nikon New Z lens roadmap (21-10-28)

Name
Matt
Z 24-120mm f/4 announced, but I'm actually even more excited by another lens that's made an appearance on the roadmap - a Z 24mm DX(!), i.e. APS-C, lens. The one lens I seriously wanted them to make for, let's see ... 12 years now! I don't get the idea behind the 26mm, though - but maybe it's kind of a speciality lens (a real pancake, maybe?).

Here's the roadmap as of today:
NikonRoadmap.jpeg

If the Z 24-120mm f/4 S balances well on the FF bodies (the MC 105mm f/2.8 gives me really high hopes), I might actually move on one or even two Z zooms, the 24-70mm f/4 S and maybe even the 24-200mm as well - though I really like both of them (the 24-70mm f/4 S optically more than haptically, though). The Z 50 can do the portability thing just fine ...

M.

I seem to have been on the right track re. the 26mm ... It's going to be a real pancake, about half the size of the 28mm and 40mm lenses. The 24mm DX is going to be even more compact that the 28mm SE - and that's not a hefty lens by any stretch of the imagination. And the DX 12-28mm is going to be another very interesting lens (look at the size - it's really compact, and a very useful range, too!). So, things are shaping up very nicely for DX as well! However, this state of affairs puts a stop to any plans of going for the 18-140mm DX - the 12-28mm is much more in keeping with my desire to keep the Z 50 (and Z fc) kit compact. And I have no issues waiting, anyway. This in turn means that the 24-200mm FX is going to stay - no problem, either; it's my favourite superzoom lens to date.

Nikon-Z-Roadmap-Oktober-2021-1320x792-1.jpg

The manageable size of the new 100-400mm certainly is another pleasant surprise, though I myself have no plans of getting that lens; however I can see why people would go for it - this is going to be very popular. Crucially, the same goes for the 24-120mm - sizewise, it's actually not a lot longer than the 24-200mm (though clearly larger in diameter), and it's lighter (and slightly shorter) than the MC 105mm f/2.8. Colour me intrigued ... especially since it's actually pretty affordable, too! I think it'll be hard to avoid ... I'll try to go hands-on as soon as possible, and I can't wait for full reviews to arrive.

All in all, I'm pretty impressed with what Nikon is doing - not that I needed persuading in the first place, but this is also going "my way" - very encouraging!

Now, here's to hoping that there won't be any major delays regarding availability in Europe - my Z 40mm f/2 still hasn't arrived, and there's no sign of that changing soon ...

M.

Back