Ricoh New Zoom coming Tomorrow

It was supposed to be announced today, late already?
What interest me is the m43 module. That would draw interest more then the zoom.
M43 has great glass available, so think about a 1 1/2 crop on a 12 or 17....
Nice if it really happens. I'm not a zoomie guy but the new one will get me to sell a few things not being used.

It was supposed to be announced today, late already?
What interest me is the m43 module. That would draw interest more then the zoom.
M43 has great glass available, so think about a 1 1/2 crop on a 12 or 17....
Nice if it really happens. I'm not a zoomie guy but the new one will get me to sell a few things not being used.

The "announcement" was clarified in this post. Announced January 5 2012, available late January. What was announced today was the new roadmap, with only the new zoom being the newest addition.

New to Ricoh here and was wondering what the lack of GR designation means? Is GR only for their primes? Higher quality?

I guess we are still waiting, also, to find out if this is constant aperture?

I see the death of M4/3 or close to it in the next few years. If Olympus doesn't survive that just leaves Panasonic who's cameras leave something to be desired with the touch screens. Sony came up with their own system and did Ricoh, Nikon, Samsung, Pentax and soon to be announced Leica and fuji. I also doubt Canon would jump on the M4/3 bandwagon either. Since Ricoh purchased Pentax it would make sense that a Pentax mount would be next.

I see the death of M4/3 or close to it in the next few years. If Olympus doesn't survive that just leaves Panasonic who's cameras leave something to be desired with the touch screens. Sony came up with their own system and did Ricoh, Nikon, Samsung, Pentax and soon to be announced Leica. I also doubt Canon would jump on the M4/3 bandwagon either. Since Ricoh purchased Pentax it would make sense that a Pentax mount would be next.
The Olympus problems are a definite monkey wrench, but I think there will still be a lot of demand for a mid-point between the best compacts and APS sensors. Particularly as sensors get better, it shouldn't be long before m43 catches up to where APS has been until now. Yeah, APS will always be somewhat better, but it may get to the point of being too small a difference to matter. And for a full system, I'm gonna have to see an APS system camera with glass that's both good quality and reasonably small. I had a Nex for a while and liked the sensor but found the glass, except for the 16, to just be too big. Sony says they're gonna address this - if they do I'll take another look. Maybe the new Fuji system will be great, but I have to see it too. Meanwhile, m43 sensors are easily good enough for my purposes (as are the compact sensors like the GRD and now the X10 is a pretty serious leap forward) and the size of the cameras AND lenses is just right. Best travel gear I could ever want. So I suspect m43 or something very very close to it survives. Just a hunch, though. And a hope.

-Ray

Andrew, I will say this my GXR brother....
that zoomie ....well I'll be all over it.
I've been reading your thoughts about it and those thoughts have infected me like a virus.

I doubt m43 will ever fold. If a module is made for the GXR, lenses will get scarce quick.
Some great glass lives in that format. This no doubt will help Panny & Oly with sales. The once Ricoh user try's this stuff, get a body for backup.
I'm not crazy about m43 sensors but I do love the glass.

Andrew, I will say this my GXR brother....
that zoomie ....well I'll be all over it.
I've been reading your thoughts about it and those thoughts have infected me like a virus.

I doubt m43 will ever fold. If a module is made for the GXR, lenses will get scarce quick.
Some great glass lives in that format. This no doubt will help Panny & Oly with sales. The once Ricoh user try's this stuff, get a body for backup.
I'm not crazy about m43 sensors but I do love the glass.

I recently bought a used GXR body for $150. :)

I gotta say. A GXR with an m43 module - THAT's intriguing... At some point I'm gonna want a second m43 body. To be able to make it a GXR with Ricoh's interface and the ability to slap an APS 28mm in there.What's the downside to THAT?!?!? And who knows, maybe Ricoh would be the one to give the m43 sensors a bit of a kick in the butt? Probably not, but stranger things have happened.

-Ray

I see the death of M4/3 or close to it in the next few years. If Olympus doesn't survive that just leaves Panasonic who's cameras leave something to be desired with the touch screens. Sony came up with their own system and did Ricoh, Nikon, Samsung, Pentax and soon to be announced Leica and fuji. I also doubt Canon would jump on the M4/3 bandwagon either. Since Ricoh purchased Pentax it would make sense that a Pentax mount would be next.

I've heard comments like this being made on just about every camera system whether new (CSC) or old (DSLR). Too be honest, most of it comes across as a little more than soap-boxing to either support or deride whatever camera system we happen to like or dislike at the time. If you find yourself facing a lack of choice in cameras a few years down the track, just remember: you wished for it.

Back