Fuji Newly minted X10 owner

D

dixeyk

I had been thinking for a bit that I might reenter the m43 world and pick up a used GX1 or perhaps and E-PL2 as an AF camera snapshot camera. I'm a manual focus user on the NEX (me and my Rokkors) and generally pretty happy with that setup. Of course there are occasions when AF would be nice like when the occasional kids birthday party or Chanukah celebration pops up (like tonight) where AF would be a helpful. There is also the moment when my wife wants to take some photos and she gives me that look when I hand her my 5n with the Rokkor 24 on it...then grabs her iPhone to use instead.

I tried the AF lens route on the 5n (got a very nice Sigma 30) and as far as I am convinced the NEX does not actually come equipped with AF. It's all some sort of mass illusion that they spread by impregnating the camera's packing material with a hallucinogen. AF? PFFFFFFT...the 5n is a manual focus camera like my old OM1. So now that the NEX is happy with it's 40 year old stable of lenses I decided to pick up something to fill the AF need. That and I have always had a thing for the X10 (and Fuji) so on it's way is a lovely X10 (from Ray) and I am really looking forward to it. First order of business is a Gordy strap and soft release button.

Welcome to the club, Kevin..... I just joined last week myself. My initial findings are good. It's been awhile since I had a camera with a zoom function.....how convenient.

Thanks Luke, it's funny you should mention that, I recently have taken to using an MD Rokkor 35-70/3.5 macro on my 5n with excellent results. I am becoming very fond of using a zoom. I'm looking forward to it.

Can you elaborate a bit more on the Sony NEX 5N's AF performance please? Like you, I'm a manual focus user of the 5n but have been considering the Sigma 19mm or 30mm for street work. However, if the 5N's AF is pants then plan B would be an Olympus E-PL3 - I have the 20mm pancake and 14-45mm zoom already.

I had been thinking for a bit that I might reenter the m43 world and pick up a used GX1 or perhaps and E-PL2 as an AF camera snapshot camera. I'm a manual focus user on the NEX (me and my Rokkors) and generally pretty happy with that setup. Of course there are occasions when AF would be nice like when the occasional kids birthday party or Chanukah celebration pops up (like tonight) where AF would be a helpful. There is also the moment when my wife wants to take some photos and she gives me that look when I hand her my 5n with the Rokkor 24 on it...then grabs her iPhone to use instead.

I tried the AF lens route on the 5n (got a very nice Sigma 30) and as far as I am convinced the NEX does not actually come equipped with AF. It's all some sort of mass illusion that they spread by impregnating the camera's packing material with a hallucinogen. AF? PFFFFFFT...the 5n is a manual focus camera like my old OM1. So now that the NEX is happy with it's 40 year old stable of lenses I decided to pick up something to fill the AF need. That and I have always had a thing for the X10 (and Fuji) so on it's way is a lovely X10 (from Ray) and I am really looking forward to it. First order of business is a Gordy strap and soft release button.

Can you elaborate a bit more on the Sony NEX 5N's AF performance please? Like you, I'm a manual focus user of the 5n but have been considering the Sigma 19mm or 30mm for street work. However, if the 5N's AF is pants then plan B would be an Olympus E-PL3 - I have the 20mm pancake and 14-45mm zoom already.

I found the AF on the 5n to be very similar to the AF performance of the Olympus E-P1. In good light it's perfectly useable but it struggles in low light and low contrast settings. The AF on the E-PL3 is loads better than the NEX and the P20 and P14-45 are excellent lenses (although the P20 is not a fast focusing lens by any stretch). That said the cost of a Sigma is around $150. You might try it and see if it is good enough for your needs. It's cheaper than an E-PL3. If I want to shoot street (which I seldom do) I just grab my Vivitar 28/2 close focus and call it good.

I'll be looking forward to your images!

Thanks...I'm pretty excited about putting it through it's paces. I have a couple of weeks off coming up over the holidays and as long as the weather cooperates i want to get out with it a lot. I'm not expecting it to be a replacement for my NEX. I see it as a companion to it, but I can also see where it may open up some new creative opportunities. It should be fun.

Back