Sony NEX-3 versatility / trickery

summerkl

Veteran
Name
Kevin
One of the reasons I switched to the NEX was the tiltable LCD - it allows for some very creative angles. The other reason was the panorama function. Here are some of my shots from my recent vacation. I've resized and adjusted for levels quickly.

1 - shooting from the open window in the back of the taxi

Brooklyn Bridge - NEX3 f11 1/320 ISO200
101003_NewYork_0641.JPG
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Brooklyn Bridge - NEX3 f11 1/320 ISO200
101003_NewYork_0639.JPG

NEX3 f7.1 1/500 ISO200
101003_NewYork_0623.JPG

2 - from the ground

Times square wanted to get the cars and the top of the building in the shot - NEX3 f7.1 1/160 ISO200
DSC00312.JPG

Halifax Citadel aka "Canon powershot" - NEX3 f7.1 1/160 ISO200
DSC01356.JPG

3 - horizontal panos - landscape

Times Square - NEX3 f5.6 1/160 ISO200
100930_NewYork_0120.JPG

Jersey as seen from Manhattan - NEX3 f8 1/160 ISO200
101002_NewYork_0499.JPG

Boston Public Library - I'm happy with the fisheye panorama look of this one - NEX3 f10 1/200 ISO200
101005_Boston_0057.JPG

4 - horizontal pano - portrait

Inside World Financial Center Plaza - NEX3 f4 1/60 ISO200
101002_NewYork_0495.JPG

5 - waist level shot

Bar Harbor - I actually planned the horizon shot between the railings :) - NEX3 f4 1/1250 ISO200
101006_Bar_Harbor_0040.JPG

6 - against the tour bus window shooting upwards

MIT campus building - NEX3 f11 1/250 ISO500
101005_Boston_0115.JPG

Kevin thanks so much for these - it's very helpful and interesting to see all the creative options that this set up offers! That through the taxi windshield shot is my favorite of all. I've never had a camera with an articulating screen. I can see its plusses!

These are very nice, the panoramas turned out well. I'm still playing with my NEX5 and trying to decide which third party lens to get for it.

Thanks. The panoramas were quite fun and I'm still learning. Landscape panoramas are great when the opportunity arises. I'm thinking I need to remember to use the portrait panorama mode as it mimics a wider angle than the 27mm of the kit lens.

If you mean legacy lenses, I have tried and like my Canon FD 50mm f1.4 images from the NEX. I will also be trying out a couple of Voigtlander lenses that I recently purchased (40mm f1.4 and 75mm f2.5).

I have to say, even though the Pano is a "toy" feature, I love it! My NEX3 is getting a real workout, while the EP1 sits. But, that might not last forever. We shall see, but the NEX has some lovely little tricks it does. Tilty LCD and Pano are marvelous. I just really, really wish it had IBIS (just too it out with my Pentax m42 mount 135mm lens, and I can get better shots with the EP1 because of the IBIS).

So with the onset of Vancouver's grey, wet and cold weather, I've been putting the NEX through a workout indoors with manual lenses. I echo wt21's post from another thread that manual focussing with the NEX is quite good. I've been playing around with macro shots and have a lot to learn but the tilt screen comes to the rescue again and removes the obstacle of having to bend down to view the LCD screen.

I have been staging my macros by putting the item and the camera on my kitchen counter. I grab a seat, flip up the screen, focus and shoot away. I suppose I'll eventually use a tripod and the like, but for now it let's me explore and learn the in and outs of macro photography before I invest further. Speaking of which, I just bought my first macro lens, a Nikon 60mm F2.8 - hopefully I can take some good shots like the many I've seen on other websites.

Back