Sony NEX 5 16mm f/2.8 test shots

Name
Andy
OK it has finally stopped raining and the sun was making a small appearance so i took the NEX 5 & 16mm f/2.8 into the garden just to do a few test shots. To be honest they are not as good as i thought they would be. The 16mm lens is a little soft but a spot of PP in lightroom can make a fair difference. The sensor on this camera is worthy of decent glass which is where it is going to really shine. I'm quite impressed with the wider images i took and i guess it's what this lens is designed for but still it's not Stella!! Mind you the more i look at them the more i think that they are worse than my s95! Also the final images are almost double the file size than canon images that i process in the same way?????? Is it me or are they OK?

Another thing i noticed is that the images are over saturated with colour and quite contrasty and it makes for really good mono shots so wide mono street scenes will be superb!! Also will be good for sunsets too!

These were taken in RAW & using a mono pod just to keep the camera steady.

What do you think?

1: Leaf. @ f/2.8 1/125th ISO200
View attachment 32032

2: My garden. @ f/5.6 1/60th ISO200
View attachment 32033

3: Garden Pond & Seating. @ f/56 1/25th ISO200
View attachment 32034

There was no exposure compensation used from the camera. Perhaps I'm fiddling too much in Lightroom :D

When i 1st look at them they look reasonably sharp but the colour looks a bit odd. I think i need to find a setting to get the colours right in Lightroom and make a preset of that which i can use as a starting point.

I think the images are OK. I really need to go out somewhere on a nice sunny day.......which will be in about 2 months time!!!:(

I have found the NEX to be fun, and great for family snaps, but not perfect. Your first pict looks unacceptably soft. I have not seen that, but I do think the colors are over-saturated, even in RAW!! That can be adjusted, though, with a LR import preset.

I mentioned very early in one of your posts that I didn't want to say what I thought negative about NEX, because I didn't want to bias you, but you've come to the conclusions rather quickly!

I still think the DOF control and high ISO on this camera are great. I love the carry-around ergonomics of the NEX + legacy lens over my m43 and other cameras, but it's got some holes for sure!

I have found the NEX to be fun, and great for family snaps, but not perfect. Your first pict looks unacceptably soft. I have not seen that, but I do think the colors are over-saturated, even in RAW!! That can be adjusted, though, with a LR import preset.

I mentioned very early in one of your posts that I didn't want to say what I thought negative about NEX, because I didn't want to bias you, but you've come to the conclusions rather quickly!

I still think the DOF control and high ISO on this camera are great. I love the carry-around ergonomics of the NEX + legacy lens over my m43 and other cameras, but it's got some holes for sure!

I have ordered a M42 to NEX adapter so hopefully i can get the sharp images i desire. As for the colour, well that can be done in Lightroom. I have 14 days from date of purchase where i can take the camera back for a no questions asked full refund, i really don't want to do that as I'm sure there is a brilliant camera in there somewhere but if i can't get on with the results it's going to have to go back. Let's hope the legacy glass will make full use of the APS-C sensor!

OK I have got my Carl Zeiss 35mm f/2.4 Flektogon nailed to the front of the NEX 5 and WHAT A DIFFERENCE!! Much much better images as you can see below. Image quality has improved enormously. Still not as good as the GF-1 though. This lens makes the 16mm look like a $10 lens!! So at the moment i will have no decent AF lenses to use on this camera. Hmmmm

Comparison shots as above:

1: The same leaf
View attachment 32083

2: Garden. Sky is much better exposed!
View attachment 32084

3: A different leaf
View attachment 32085

4: Tulips
View attachment 32086

5: Narrow DOF
View attachment 32087

My frustration with NEX and m43 is I want them blended!!!

I like the NEX sensor, but I like the m43's lens options. I like NEX's MF control implementation (switch off MF with half-button press), but I want m43's looks (OK, I'm simply partial to the EP1). I cannot stand the sound of the NEX3 shutter, but I actually like their 16mm and fisheye attachment for family shots. I like the NEX LCD, but also like the EP1's aspect ratio options (I use 6:6 quite a bit).

So presently I have both.

This is a very interesting thread. I don't have a NEX, nor have I ever used one so I can only comment regarding what I see in your photos here...and as I already did a bit on Flickr. Reading everyone's posts and seeing these photos is great as an onlooker, however.

This second batch with your Zeiss do look much, much better. They look great. However, I'd like to see the exact same scene taken with both lenses one right after another so we can really compare. Of course, we each have our own monitors and we can get into some differences due to that, as well. If it turns out that it is indeed all about the lens to make the NEX shine, then I can't help but think about Bill's "good glass" thread: https://www.photographerslounge.org/f16/confusion-personal-view-1049/

Due to my own need to wear glasses, specifically "progressive lenses", manual focus lenses just aren't for me. I guess you are going to have to decided whether it is worth your while to keep the NEX or if there's a next camera that might turn out to be better. What are you thinking, Andy?

This is a very interesting thread. I don't have a NEX, nor have I ever used one so I can only comment regarding what I see in your photos here...and as I already did a bit on Flickr. Reading everyone's posts and seeing these photos is great as an onlooker, however.

This second batch with your Zeiss do look much, much better. They look great. However, I'd like to see the exact same scene taken with both lenses one right after another so we can really compare. Of course, we each have our own monitors and we can get into some differences due to that, as well. If it turns out that it is indeed all about the lens to make the NEX shine, then I can't help but think about Bill's "good glass" thread: https://www.photographerslounge.org/f16/confusion-personal-view-1049/

Due to my own need to wear glasses, specifically "progressive lenses", manual focus lenses just aren't for me. I guess you are going to have to decided whether it is worth your while to keep the NEX or if there's a next camera that might turn out to be better. What are you thinking, Andy?

What am i thinking.....

Well i do like wt21's reply there as it is kinda how i feel.

Good Bits:
I like the sensor on the NEX but it is let down greatly by poor Kit lenses which are all you can get with AF. The images from the Zeiss lens are really impressive which proves my theory about glass being so important. In all honesty i don't like how the NEX feels in my hands and the shutter button is too far back. The Screen is the best i have ever seen and the menu system is fine especially after the update. It's built very very well and the flip up screen is great.

Bad bits: All my opinion of coarse.
I have already mentioned the kit lenses and I'm sorry but I'm getting to be a fussy bugger!:D I went for the 16mm as it looked better quality than the 18-55 which i have seen is not great. I don't like the handling and the battery is poor (yes it get's better but by how much?) Also weirdly, for the sort of camera that it is it does feel too small.

The camera is boxed up ready to go back on Thursday. I'm pretty convinced it's not for me but i will have a long think tomorrow. I'm really disappointed as i wanted to really like this camera but it's not for me i don't think.

So what next.......GF-2? E-PL2? maybe nothing at all (Yeah right! :D) The GF-2 and E-PL2 are out within the next few weeks so i may wait and see what the verdict is. I'm not sure i like the GF2 from what i have seen on you tube. Or perhaps back to the GF-1? Prices are falling due to the GF-2. Should never had sold mine really. It's the closest thing to Retro perfection for under £500!

OK...... I have been away from the computer for a bit and got the NEX out the box and nailed some more MF lenses on and i must say it's a jem for MF so I'm going to keep the NEX-5 as a MF body and use the 16mm AF lens for Sunsets and w-i-d-e stuff. I thought that if i sent it back I'd only get a Pen or GF1 and use the MF lenses on them so i may as well use them on the NEX and see what AF lenses turn up later this year.

The images above using the Zeiss are as good as I'm going to get so the NEX is staying! Phew!:D

OK. I'll add a bit more of my personal experience with NEX, just in case it's an encouragement (one way or the other).

The NEX3 and NEX5 have a very different feel to them. Some folks really love the NEX5. It's gotten lots of rave reviews. But perhaps we have the same ailment. The shutter button on the NEX5 forced me to contort my hand. I also find the grip gets in the way of mounted legacy lenses. I tried the NEX5 in I think Oct, and returned it the next day. Then in late Nov (if I remember correctly) I got a used NEX3 for about $400 with the 16mm lens. I find the NEX3 is a MUCH better fit for me. It's small, yes, but not too small (which is my take on the NEX5). I've also found it a great match with some surprising lenses. For instance, ergonomically, it fits fantastically with my 135mm/3.5 Super Takumar, though without IBIS, I have to shoot only in good light at that focal length.

Did you get a chance to hold the NEX3? That might be the body for you. But then again, I am fine with the kit lenses, as my main use of the NEX is family outing photos. YMMV

edit: I see you posted your second post on keeping the NEX5 just before my post. In that case, ignore what I said above :)

OK. I'll add a bit more of my personal experience with NEX, just in case it's an encouragement (one way or the other).

The NEX3 and NEX5 have a very different feel to them. Some folks really love the NEX5. It's gotten lots of rave reviews. But perhaps we have the same ailment. The shutter button on the NEX5 forced me to contort my hand. I also find the grip gets in the way of mounted legacy lenses. I tried the NEX5 in I think Oct, and returned it the next day. Then in late Nov (if I remember correctly) I got a used NEX3 for about $400 with the 16mm lens. I find the NEX3 is a MUCH better fit for me. It's small, yes, but not too small (which is my take on the NEX5). I've also found it a great match with some surprising lenses. For instance, ergonomically, it fits fantastically with my 135mm/3.5 Super Takumar, though without IBIS, I have to shoot only in good light at that focal length.

Did you get a chance to hold the NEX3? That might be the body for you. But then again, I am fine with the kit lenses, as my main use of the NEX is family outing photos. YMMV

No i didn't try the Nex3, funnily enough at the shop where i bought the 5 the 3 was more expensive? Prices were all over the show and it was the 5 i wanted. I have been walking about with various MF lenses and it's not too bad. What i do a fair bit is take a mono pod with me. I have a big thick one for the Canon 500D DSLR and another that is ideal for P&S cameras so I'll use that when out and about on day trips and with longer lenses. It's really only the Kit lens that's bugging me the most but really it's not that bad at all and i think because it's different from what I'm used to i think it's worse but it's not. The images from MF lenses are super and i love the rear screen SO much as well as MF assist which is great. The access to ISO etc is easy now with the soft keys so thing's aint that bad :D

I agree completely -- the sensor is grand, the rear screen (resolution, color and flippiness) are super, and the menus (with the firmware upgrade) are perfectly serviceable. I even find them easier to navigate than my EP1, but I would like perhaps one more physical button.

Happy shooting! Post more when you get them.

Thanks. Can i ask, Why do you have a NEX and an EP1? I kinda see them being similar cameras.

Here are a couple more from the Flek

1: Tried to get the Leica look on this one.
View attachment 32098

2: B+W Version of earlier pic
View attachment 32099

3: Focus was not spot on here..oops!
5366804121_f3017ea47b_b.jpg

4: The beast-of a lens!
View attachment 32101

Well those are really sharp! Nice. I almost traded my NEX for Ricoh GXR 50mm but in the end I just couldn't let it go. As you say, the good glass that I have (the Contax G 45 and 90 and the Hexanons) make a huge difference even though it's a bit tiresome at times. So I kept it and I'm sure I'll use it when the weather gets better. Meanwhile I have the Ricoh to play with and I'm really enjoying the user control on that for sure :) The lens is very sharp and IQ is similar to the Leica X1. So far I'm happy. I also bought an EPL1 body after selling my EP2 purely so that I could continue to use the great Zuiko 50mm f2 lens for macro and the 70 - 300mm for birds in the garden. Am I mad ..... probably :rolleyes:

The only thing from the Nex I'd REALLY like to have is the screen, both the quality of the OLED and the way it swivels up and down without having to swing it out to the side first. I realize the sensor has its advantages, but I find the m43 sensor a better compromise between system size (including the requisite lenses) and quality. The quality of the m43 images is only gonna get better, but the size of the systems with larger sensors isn't really gonna get smaller. One of these days within the next couple of years, Oly or Pany is going to put a screen sort of like the Nex on a Pen or GF series camera with GH2 AF speed and accuracy and I'm gonna want for nothing at that point!

-Ray

Sadly there is as yet no camera that 'does it all' and every camera you have to compromise on something. I guess all you can do is get the closest you can. I may still get a micro 4/3 camera if one pop's up cheap enough but priority at the moment is decent lenses.

Thanks. Can i ask, Why do you have a NEX and an EP1? I kinda see them being similar cameras.

Here are a couple more from the Flek

Nice shots! I like the 3rd one especially.

You asked why I have both, so here are my personal thoughts. Of course, this is all personal, and your experience is likely different.

I have both m43 and NEX for a couple of reasons:

The EP1 has little resale value at this point, so there's no reason to sell it. I could get some money out of my lenses (20/1.7 and 14-150), but I really like IBIS, and the EP1+ 14-150 is a VERY lightweight travel kit. Additionally, when combined with a macro, you can get more DOF from m43 because of the sensor size. I also like the styling of the EP1, and with the 20/1.7, it's a nice compact, indoor kit. I also have a couple of MF lenses that I think render more nicely on my EP1 than my NEX. I also like the aspect ratio options on the EP1 better than the NEX, like my Fujian 35mm/1.7 CCTV lens. The EP1 crops more of the very weak corners out. I also feel the EP1 does better B&W. It's a little grittier feeling (for the same reason, I think the NEX handles color better).

I did buy the NEX to see if it will replace the EP1 in my bag, but it doesn't yet for me. It has a great screen and great sensor, and the NEX3 for me is a great size. But it doesn't have IBIS which is a draw back to me, and I do want some options of AF lenses. I don't generally like kit lenses (18-55), so it really only has one AF lens that works for me -- the 16mm. I also really have fun with the fisheye attachment.

I am hoping one of these makers will come out with a better portrait AF lens or a better normal AF lens. The 20/1.7 is good, but not really fast enough for my tastes (in terms of depth of field control), and it doesn't have great bokeh. The bokeh on the 14mm Panny frankly seems nicer, but I'm holding out for (hopefully!) an Oly 12mm. If Oly released a 12mm lens that works with their new fisheye attachment, and if they released a new body with a better screen and better MF controls, then the only reason left (for me) to keep NEX would be the dynamic range of the sensor. But since Oly has so far demonstrated slowness in further innovation, I'm keeping the NEX instead, so if they release a portrait or macro lens, then I may go that direction, though I don't like the size of the 18-200, so I'm not sure how I'd do with the telephoto end with just NEX.

Zeiss is supposed to be bringing out a lens for NEX this year plus other makes so it will be interesting to see what turns up. I love the E-P1 styling and may get one if cheap enough. With the MF lenses attached it looks Uber retro!!

Check this out!
the pen

Back