Sony Nex 5 Firmware...

I just assumed y'all were across the pond so to speak, whenever I get on the forum at 8:00 PM PDT, USA...no one else seems to be up!
Yes Don, it's the same firmware, don't have to operate the camera from the left side of the road or anything like that...

quick and easy

Thank ya for this. Will my camera still speak English after the upgrade.
This could change the fate for my Nex5.
Don
I did this last night using the UK version and it upgraded just fine. I took a few so far, and the peaking is wonderful. There are three different color choices; red, yellow and white, as well as intensity levels.

The new "fun" modes look promising, although probably won't be used much.

Thank ya kindly... Many of us are here in the colony.
That peaking gadget will save my Nex from, well... It'll just save it.

I second that! It's a revelation, not sure if it was my eyes I didn't trust (probably) now I can get razor sharp shots with my Nikkor 105 2.8 and NO guesswork.:D

Now I'm curious what Peaking color and level settings people have settled on...

Well, I'm thinking Red for the best contrast. I keep the screen on B&W so I don't know what will happen.... It'll make me crazy if I have to use a color screen.

Is it possible to use this 'peaking' feature to see depth of field? I've been using my new NEX 3 for a week with version 0.3 firmware. I don't need or want the peaking to accurately focus but I do miss a depth of field scale on the kit zoom.

That's a good question Bugleone.
Myself, I like the Nex better with MF lenses. I use the CanonFD 24mm.
That gives me 35mm FOV and I have a DOF scale on the lens.
The IQ this way is as good as my X100. It's easy to see what's going on by stopping the lens down.
The peaking feature will help immensely with MF.
I look forward to trying it this evening.

Don-tried the B/W jpeg+RAW setting w/red peaking...works fine. The peaking level does need to be adjusted according to the amount of available light and contrast as the brighter the subject, the more the peaking "blows out" and benefits from a lower level setting...

Yeah Bubba..... it works great. No need to us the MF assist at all. the red is great with the B&W screen....
The update went very smooth, in fact easier than any I have ever done...
Thanks again...Cous...

Ok...the good news first....
The Red peaking on B&W works great. There is no need to us the MF assist.
Better news... DOF can be seen with the peaking. As you stop down the lens, more red peaking activates.
Let me say this about the peaking.... I will never buy another camera that does not have this feature. I wish Fuji would install this on the X100.
I tested the Nex with a Canon 50 1.8. Efective focal length 75mm. Even wide open, the focus is tack sharp....
I will keep the Nex as now it's a very good camera for my other lenses.....

Canon 50mm FD 1.8 exposed at 2.8

see them little thingys in the center of the flower....yeah, those little things all the way down in there...well, that's where I had the peaking set....

Oh, the bad news now..... there ain't none.....!

I sold off all of my m43 gear and bought a Nex in anticipation of this firmware update. I'm not disappointed. As Don said, it just works and works extremely well. It makes focusing manual lenses a breeze.

WOW!! This is just a revelation. :eek: This works so well.

Here's one handheld with the CV 75mm f1.8 (at f1.8, of course!):

_DSC1453.jpg

I shoot A-mode RAW and use the LCD set to B&W with yellow peaking set to high (more for my older eyes). Seeing in B&W does wonders for your composition, and the peaking makes MF a snap.

Well done Sony, show us that you are still listening to all our other suggestions too though.

Cheers,

Back