Sony Nex 5, help the poor ole shooter out

Streetshooter

Administrator Emeritus
Allrighty.....
Simple question.
My favorite f-stop is 6.3. My favorite starting ISO is 640.
See the relationship, how the heck do I set either on the camera?

Do not be afraid of making me look stupid.
I do a good job myself sometimes...

Shooter

I'm not having any trouble finding f 6.3 - it lives right between f 5.6 and 7.1 on the friendly neighborhood aperture dial. But the ISO seems to jump directly from 400 to 800 and I don't see anywhere to change that or to find any of the intermediate settings not on the dial as a default...

Half an answer OK?

-Ray

nah Andy... I'll chisel a notch before I give up....
still searching......

Thanks Ray....I said sometimes I was stupid.... anyway, the fstop is fine but I gotta figure out this ISO business

I think you are out of luck. Google search turned up nothing, and there's nothing in the manual about partial stops. Can't find any menu picks, either, for partial stop settings.

keep mine at 600

I'm getting the camera next week and I find that ISO issue very weird! Are there any other big jumps in ISO like that?

So far I have kept mine mostly at 600, jumping up to 1600 at times. I guess they figure you don't need to be that precise. I know I don't really need it.

Not what you want to hear but it jumps in intervals of 200. To get around this would require hacking the software, something I have not skill enough to do.

Janis,
Don't panic. I'm just weird about things like this.
I always find missing the thing I want with any camera.
The Nex is great and I'm really into it.
I'll come up with an answer tomorrow as I walk the streets with it....
Stay tuned....

So far I have kept mine mostly at 600, jumping up to 1600 at times. I guess they figure you don't need to be that precise. I know I don't really need it.

Not what you want to hear but it jumps in intervals of 200. To get around this would require hacking the software, something I have not skill enough to do.
You have 600 and intervals of 200? I just have full stops - 100, 200, 400, 800, 1600, 3200, 6400, 12800.

Don, this is the kind of thing I don't think about. Between shutter speed, aperture, and ISO I always seem to be able to find the right exposure. And there's so much information lurking in the shadows and highlight of this camera I always seem to be able to find what I need in PP if its not dead on when I first pull it up...

-Ray

As far as I know the camera will pick any number of in-between ISO settings if it needs to when in A mode.
I have shots at 250, 320, 500, 640 etc , but I don't know of any way to set these yourself via the ISO dial.

As for wondering about these things - no I don't. The difference in speed between 400-640 0r 640-800 is 1/2 a stop. I shoot in RAW so can adjust half a stop either way without a problem. The difference in quality/noise between 400-800 is nearly non-existent so either and anything in between is fine.

You have 600 and intervals of 200? I just have full stops - 100, 200, 400, 800, 1600, 3200, 6400, 12800.

Don, this is the kind of thing I don't think about. Between shutter speed, aperture, and ISO I always seem to be able to find the right exposure. And there's so much information lurking in the shadows and highlight of this camera I always seem to be able to find what I need in PP if its not dead on when I first pull it up...

-Ray

Oops, I ment 800. Sorry.

It's not a big deal. I just like to know everything about the camera I'm working with. I like to know how it thinks.
I like to understand how it makes me think and work. I don't see it as a limitation, I see it as an adjustment in thought process....

I do that all the time.....

Back