Sony Nex 5 the NEXt Camera!

Streetshooter

Administrator Emeritus
How do you have your Nex 5 set up? I'm looking for the best configuration for street...(Ray)...

Still charging the battery.....
what a drag....

figured it out in 5 minutes.... gotta say, Ray... thanks....

The IQ is very good and tomorrow on the street should prove an interesting day...
Me, always 1st image with a new camera... 1600

Tanya 12800 processed the way I like low light...GRAINY!

I'm assuming you have the up to date firmware...

The things you have to customize (in the menu under 'setup') are your "Soft Key B Setting" and "Soft Key C Setting". I set "B" to "Shoot Mode" - basically the mode dial as the default, but its over-ridden at times by focus controls. I set Soft Key C (the big one in the middle of the dial) to "Custom", which then lets you individually set Custom 1, 2, and 3. I have Custom 1 set to ISO (so that's the first thing that comes up when you hit that button). I have custom 2 set to Autofocus Area, but you don't need that on the softkey if you're never gonna change the AF mode.... And I have custom 3 set to White Balance just to have something there - I don't change this that often on the fly. Play with it a little bit - it gets really automatic really fast - or did for me...

Have fun!

-Ray

Ray, your very right. The camera is very intuitive with the new firmware in it. I have the buttons set for ISO and Shoot Mode....
other than that...it's make images....
Thanks Pal...
don

The only drag is that when you're in that "flexible spot" AF mode, which I'm guessing you'll be living in, the Shoot Mode on that bottom button is over-ridden and becomes the trigger to move the spot around the screen. I'd love to over-ride this because I never move it, but I don't think you can... But its just one extra click on the menu to get to the mode dial so its not a huge problem.

Look forward to seeing what you'll come back with after a day in the field. Oh, did you get a spare battery? It will go through them, particularly if you set the screen to "sunny day" or whatever they call it.

BTW Don - you're holding it wrong... :cool:

-Ray

View attachment 33059

Ray,Yessir. I see what you mean. I have ISO on the bottom button and Mode in the center of the jog dial. The center AF patch is not that much bigger and does nor effect any other function like the flexible spot....soooo,
I'll manage like that. I barely read the manual and the camera is set up for tomorrows shoot.....
should be nice.
Don

Anybody used the self-timer yet? it seems once I used it (after a lot of fuming) it seemed to get stuck in that mode; however it was only after I reset the camera to its default settings did I realise that it has to be reset to take single images manually! seems a bit strange to me.

I've used it too Penny. Same thing, once you set it to self timer it stays there until you switch it back. Another little niggle that they might iron out for us with a new firmware.

Anybody used the self-timer yet? it seems once I used it (after a lot of fuming) it seemed to get stuck in that mode; however it was only after I reset the camera to its default settings did I realise that it has to be reset to take single images manually! seems a bit strange to me.

Well, you have to manually set the "drive" mode to put it on the self-timer (or burst mode, or 3 second delay, or whatever) and you have to set the drive mode to put it on single shot. So, after you change it to self-timer, you have to change it back to single shot or its gonna stay on self-timer. The same is true of the GH2 and the GF1, btw, the only difference being that there are physical switches to change the drive mode on those two cameras and the Nex requires a touch of the "drive" button and a turn of the wheel to get to the mode you want.

The only camera I have that automatically switches back to single shot mode after using the self-timer is the LX-5, and I wouldn't be shocked if that can be customized given how much else can be customized on that little camera (edit - nope, just checked, that seems to be the default and only way it works)...

-Ray

I just wanted to say howdy to everyone and say that I have been busy since Monday when Don AKA Streetshooter arrived at our house with his son and a friend. We had one brief "photo shoot" together but it was so damn cold that we couldn't handle being outside for more than about 5 minutes. That said, you know full well that Don got a great photograph!:rolleyes::D

Don lent me his NEX and I took a bunch of photos on a walk with my dog... I think he is trying to let that NEX work its seductive powers on me. I'll tell you what - that screen is amazing!! Next, I will have to see if I can produce a worthy image or two from the pictures I took. If they can look as good as that screen, I may fall in love.

Also just wanted to apologize for not being around so much as I would like. I hope to catch up with everyone's photos over the weekend! Today, I'm off to pick up my daughter from college...it's going to be a long driving day.

Enjoy your cameras you all!

Back