Sony Nex 5 the NEXt Camera!

go figure, i bought one

Yes, I know, after reading all the nex threads and finding myself without a camera, (ive been using my cell phone cam) I decided I just couldnt pass a deal at costco. Bought the demo for $500 and they took an extra $50 off. Kit include the 16mm and 18-55 kit lens. I had this kit once before last year, briefly, but after re-reading all the enthusiastic comments I have hopped on the band wagon.... I'm so weak...but what a price!

So far after 2 days things seem grand....only problem is I can't find an exposure lock button anywhere....is it me? or is there none? someone let me know..

Pictures forth coming,
cheers all,
Pete

Pete my friend, your not giving up on the Leica M Phone are you?

Nah.... There's no AE AEL lock...yet.
Make sure you update the firmware.
It gives options in button setup.
I'm glad ya got the Nex....
Don

I really glared at this camera over at the big box store over the weekend. I played with it a bit, and I just cannot get over the large zoom lens. In comparison to the E-PL1 sitting next to it, I knew that with my PEN I can throw it into my jacket pocket and just go. The focus was fast, and the UI was reasonable once I started playing with it. The screen is really nice. The only big turnoff is the size, mainly of the lens. Maybe Panasonic or Oly can get some of the sony mojo and put it on a GF or Pen camera.

DJ, what lens on the Nex? I have no problem with it fitting in my jacket pocket with the 18-55. I'm liking it more every day.
I sneak over here to read and post about it cause the admin across the street can be a hard butt sometimes...
Don

Don,

The 18-55. I wear a 3x jacket, and they got some big ole pockets. My PEN barely fits with the collapsable zoom. Maybe I need to buy a new jacket with bigger pockets:eek:

Yeah, I'd image folks might get all stirred up across the street since that is a mFT forum:rolleyes:

. Honestly, I think its great that folks shoot with different equipment. In many cases, I'm not going to give gear a serious look unless someone else has had favorable experiences.

DJ,
Do not hold a Nex 5 for more than 1 minute.
Do not put the screen in bright light with the Sunny setting.
Do not put a 16mm Lens on it.
Do not upgrade the firmware to make it easier.

DJ my friend.... You are forewarned.
Oh..., 1 more thing....
Under any circumstances, do not open a raw file in any software...
That is taboo!

Don lent me his NEX and I took a bunch of photos on a walk with my dog... I think he is trying to let that NEX work its seductive powers on me. I'll tell you what - that screen is amazing!! Next, I will have to see if I can produce a worthy image or two from the pictures I took. If they can look as good as that screen, I may fall in love.

Also just wanted to apologize for not being around so much as I would like. I hope to catch up with everyone's photos over the weekend! Today, I'm off to pick up my daughter from college...it's going to be a long driving day.

Enjoy your cameras you all!

BB, I am loving the NEX!

I have just shot about 4 pics in RAW and RAW+Jpeg and thankfully a couple in Jpeg but LR 3 would not open them; the Jpegs are ok, I've updated LR but it doesn't appear to suport NEX 5 any ideas anyone? please.

What version of Lightroom are you using? If it's Just version 3 it may not support NEX RAW. I have version 3.3 and it opens RAW on the NEX just fine. Check out Lightroom at the Adobe website and upgrade if necessary OR click on HELP and Check for updates in the top menu.

Thanks Andy have done as you instructed now have LR3.3 wonder why I havent had a update offer? however the difference using raw is amazing; thanks I new you wouldn't let me down..

Bye the bye I have ordered a Sony Macro 30mm lens which I will pick-up tomorrow, that's interesting about your lens hood and the 16mm lens I wonder if it will fit my 30mm.
cheers Penny

OK, so remind me the mathematically challenged one here - can you translate what the 30mm macro translates to in 35mm speak? I know, I know...I'm still in the USA mind of inches vs metric mode, too.:blush:

It seems that the lens I ordered is not an E mount; confusion on my part (easily achieved) and of course does not fit NEX5; however I have read (somewhere) that a Macro lens for the the Nex series is due to be released in March.
So I will return the wrong lens and await the correct one in due time! I double double checked the Sony website before ordering because I would have thought that Sony would have emailed all potential buyers of any new lenses available.
Like BB I can't wait to see what I do with a macro lens either!

Back