Sony NEX 7 Samples at DPR

Oh my!!!!! Still like to see some high ISO shots, but it looks a serious contender for my dSLR replacement. Can't wait to see and hear more! :clapping:

I'd have been shocked if they were anything short of excellent, given how good the Nex 5 was. And I'm sure they'll be pretty stunning with that Zeiss leading the way. If the lenses worked for me in that size/IQ compromise spectrum we all stake out our points along, I'd be all over Nex. As is, I'm happy enough with the IQ of m43 and love the small primes in a way I don't think I could ever love the Nex lenses unless they figure out how to make 'em with the likely quality of the Zeiss at much closer to the size of the 16...

But if the Nex 5n or 7 DIDN'T turn out great files, THAT would be the man-bites-dog story...

-Ray

Armanius, I had a chance to use A77 which uses the same sensor as NEX-7. It was definitely more noisy than the excellent 16 MP Sony sensor, but I was really pleased by its colors and dynamic range. In two days of shooting in harsh sun, I did not manage to produce a single blown-out highlight or a single blocked shadow.

At ISO 400 :D But I was shooting with DRO enabled, it probably lifted shadows and increased noise somewhat.

BTW, have you seen this NEX-7 ISO 6400 sample? I think it's excellent. It will make a beautiful 20"x30" print.
http://images.alphamountworld.com/nex7-samples/_DSC5909-iso6400.JPG

400....eek! Yes, Unfortunately I saw the sample.
To be truthful, my Nex 5 files are the best I've ever gotten from a digital camera except from the RD1s. The new 7 promises to out perform the 5 by a good margin....
I wish I never looked at that file...

Hmmm ... that 6400 file didn't look that impressive to me. Am I missing something? Nice DR and colors for sure. But looks quite soft and somewhat smeary. Sorry ... must be the pixel peeper in me. Wondering if the NEX5N might be the way to go ...

Yes very impressive.

There are some raw A77 files floating around as well, which will actually convert in Picasa. (free download for mac and pc) Its the same sensor, different lenses of course, but they look impressive. No great shakes at high ISO, the raw files are VERY noisy above 3200, but with some software tweaking they might improve.

At low ISO's they are very good indeed, loads of resolution.

You can find some raw files here.

Sony Alpha SLT-A77 Camera Thumbnails - Hands-On Preview

Sony A77: primeras impresiones y muestras

Hmmm ... that 6400 file didn't look that impressive to me. Am I missing something? Nice DR and colors for sure. But looks quite soft and somewhat smeary. Sorry ... must be the pixel peeper in me. Wondering if the NEX5N might be the way to go ...

Yes, at the pixel level it looks like a watercolor. But that's the beauty of huge files: you can resize it to 6 MP and get a highly detailed and essentially noise-free ISO 6400 picture. Or don't bother with resizing, just print it and it will look excellent.

I've been playing with some NEX-7 RAW files from a torrent file made available at SAR.

Here's an ISO 3200 photo which I processed from RAW using the latest beta of Raw Photo Processor (Mac only). I'm showing the resized version along with a 100% crop inset:

6151004058_c89d07e3c4_o.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Keep in mind that this is the kit lens, a beta version of RPP that doesn't fully support the camera, that the guy who took these samples was rushed and many show handshake blur, missed focus, etc.

I think the NEX-7 will probably not quite match the 5N at the highest ISO values, but it will definitely out-res the 5N and have very decent performance (at least for RAW shooters) at high ISO.

Here's the RAW file I used: Box

Back