Sony NEX 7 with Sony/Zeiss 24mm

Country Parson

Top Veteran
Name
Dan
My NEX 7 just arrived this afternoon. So I put the Zeiss 24mm on it and got some quick shots around the farm. My first impression of the controls is very positive. I like to two dials since I almost always shoot aperture priority. I have the three controls I use the most, Aperture, Exposure comp. and ISO right at my fingertips. Works for me. The screen is the same as the NEX5N so far as I can tell, and the viewfinder is good, but I prefer to use the screen. It is nice to have the viewfinder there when needed, but I did not need it this evening. Here are three samples.
DSC000031.jpg

NEX7Z24.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

DSC00022.jpg

I think I'll cut and paste my comments from Ray's thread about "God" onto here. Hehehehe! :)

Congrats Dan! I knew you'd cave in!

The NEX7 is a very very nice camera. I would have kept it, if I was going to use it as an AF camera. That sensor can resolve soooo much detail!

I saw the comments on Ray's thread. :) The Samsung is up for sale now. I like being able to adapt my Nikon and Pentax lenses on the NEX. The focus peaking continues to be a major attraction for me. But it appears that it does not show up in the viewfinder, unless I have missed that setting someplace. I'll post some with adapted lenses later, but wanted to start with the Zeiss 24mm.

Dan, the peaking's shimmer is less pronounced on the EVF, which was one of the reasons I sold the NEX7. I like using the EVF over LCD. The shimmer is non existent when magnified.

Lookin' good. It's early days for you but when you've had it for awhile I hope you'll post more about living with the camera, how AF is working out for you, etc. I came this close to allowing my pre-order to stand but cancelled it when my GXR showed up. I do miss the responsiveness of the NEX cameras.

Lookin' good. It's early days for you but when you've had it for awhile I hope you'll post more about living with the camera, how AF is working out for you, etc. I came this close to allowing my pre-order to stand but cancelled it when my GXR showed up. I do miss the responsiveness of the NEX cameras.

I plan on starting a thread comparing the NEX 7 with the Xpro 1 as I am using both alternately these days. I like them both, but each has strengths the other lacks. Here are a couple of shots from this weekend with the NEX 7 & Zeiss 24mm. I like the close focusing capabilities of the Zeiss 24 as can be seen with the chicks.

TwoChicks1.jpg

HearstTower.jpg

Nice images, Dan! Very cool on the close focus.

I can't remember if you owned the X100 before? I am guessing it was somewhat planned, but interesting how well the X100 fits in with the XPro1 primes at launch. A nice little progression there and a compact option.

On the other hand, it would be nice to have 1 camera that was blazing fast, AF and operations (NEX or m4/3 in my case).

Krugorg, I did own the X100, but sold it a few months ago. Yes it would be nice to have one camera that satisfied every criteria, but I am afraid we have to think of them as tools, each good at some things but none good at everything. Here is another shot with the NEX7 & 24mm taken this afternoon in Charlotte, NC and very heavily cropped.

BeardedMan.jpg

Dan, how do you compare the shutter sound on the XPro1 versus the NEX7?

Krugorg, I did own the X100, but sold it a few months ago. Yes it would be nice to have one camera that satisfied every criteria, but I am afraid we have to think of them as tools, each good at some things but none good at everything.

I meant to say that it would nice to have at least 1 body/camera in your kit that gives you fast AF/operations. I agree with you... funds permitting, it is nice to have a couple different tools to work with, each with their strengths. I think it is going to be a while before one compact/mirrorless system can cover everything (or even nearly so). Of course, the mythical unicorn/Canon CSC could emerge at Photokina. :D

Krugorg, Both shutters a pretty quiet. I think the NEX7 is slightly quieter, but I have not done a side-by-side comparison under controlled conditions. OK, I just pulled them out and tried them at my desk. They are about the same. They have a different pitch, the XP1 being a deeper sound. No significant difference for practical purposes. On the street no one would hear either one.

Back