Sony Nex-7

Picture of NEX-7

At Sony Alpha rumors
senzaolo1sm.jpg

As much as I personally dislike the current NEX body designs, I find this one rather appealing with its RF styling, especially with the LH viewfinder.
Reminds me of the Olympus C-740 from a few years back ...

ZBACK.JPG
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Well, that is indeed a camera I am interested in. However, I am not sure that 24 MP is a good idea. Not only are there no native lenses which are good enough for that, but I am also afraid to see diffraction already at f/8.

The good thing about the Nex is the way it handles MF lenses. It's a breeze and actually a very pleasurable experience. So 24 MP will be nice with MF glass. As far as the Native glass... needs garlic. the Nex files are ver easy to work on and even pushing the ISO doesn't leave you unhappy. Those 24 MP files will be a dream to work on.

Well, that is indeed a camera I am interested in. However, I am not sure that 24 MP is a good idea. Not only are there no native lenses which are good enough for that, but I am also afraid to see diffraction already at f/8.

I'd imagine that Zeiss 24mm f1.8 they're showing on the front of that beast ought to handle it. I'm hoping they're getting set to release both simultaneously, maybe with that lens a a kit option. My Nex5 appears to be on its way out the door and I'm probably not in the market for this 7 since the EPL3 should take care of my flip up screen needs and the X100 covers the same high IQ, 35mm-ish focal length ground as the 24mm Zeiss would, but if they come out with more good glass in time, I could be persuaded to reconsider at some point. In any case, this camera looks like it could be a winner.

-Ray

I take it that's the one with the 12-400 f2.8 Vario-superduper and miniaturised onboard nuclear power plant.

Well - that certainly looks like a fake, but here's hoping it's a fake based on reality, and that the Nex7 isn't just another slr lookalike.

Well - that certainly looks like a fake, but here's hoping it's a fake based on reality, and that the Nex7 isn't just another slr lookalike.

Sony has accomplished two things I give them credit for: They have created a camera with a completely new concept, which they had to refine to get it working, but nobody gets everything perfect from the beginning. All other compact system cameras are founded on something existing. Secondly, they are one of the very few companies which add features by firmware updates. I am far from being a fan of Sony, but I can imagine that my next camera could be a NEX. Well, not before the Zeiss 24mm is available, of course. The combination of the Zeiss 24mm, the Leica 50mm and the Canon 100mm macro is perfect for me. I will continue to use my Olympus for hiking, but I won't invest further in that system. I need a better sensor and I don't like the direction which Panasonic has chosen. I have tried the NEX 5 and it has worked for me immediately. The E-PL1 has much more buttons, but its limitations hinder me too much. The E-P3 would be a great camera, if it had a new sensor.

Back