Sony Nex and Macro

summerkl

Veteran
Name
Kevin
Here is my Nikon Micro 60mm f2.8 at play again. Interesting exercise in changing apertures and focus points. I couldn't decide which of the various views to post so I came up with this LR3 template.

Focal_Fun.jpg

The last one is the best for me, without doubt! Very nice presentation too. I need a macro lens! I have the Zuiko 50mm f2 and I've heard of some people using it on the NEX even though it's not right for the sensor size. I don't mind any vignetting it may cause as I nearly always add it anyway! Waiting to see some examples before I go searching for an adapter.

Hi Bill,

My template was a lot of trial and error. There must be easier ways but I'm too stubborn/lazy to read the manual. So forgive my coarse solution.

First to create the Layout, I had to create a custom paper size (I chose 10"x10"). To do this, I had to go to the Printer Properties for my printer (Canon MX340) and choose Page Setup. From the list of paper sizes, there was an option for Custom. Once chosen, it gives the option to enter in page dimensions.

Now I get fuzzy as to the exact order of things. In the Print module of LR3, there is a Page Setup button (also in the File Menu), where you choose the page size - Custom is chosen and a 10x10 blank layout is on the screen now. On the layout commands on the right of the screen, my settings are Custom Package for layout, Inner Stroke checked 3.8pt, Grid Snap "Grid", Cells (4.6"x4.6") - to create the 4.6" cell, click the arrow by any of the "Add to Package" buttons and a menu pops up where you choose "Edit" and enter in the dimensions. As you click the Cell button, it is added to the blank layout.

From there, it was a case of trial and error of moving the cells around - making sure they were aligned.

The images must be square and I think they will zoom to fit. If the image is not square it will size for height but not width and overlap other cells.

On to printing, in the Print Job section of the right hand panel, there is an option to choose "Print to:". I chose JPEG File.

If you want I can email you my template, as coarse as it is. Someday I will learn the elegant way of creating templates but for now a blunt hammer is my approach.

I'm a Windows user by the way.

If you have any questions, I am glad to help as much as I can.

Cheers

Thanks, I like the last one best too. Macros have been a very enjoyable adventure on my photo journey - just right for cold, wet, and grey weather. I've been having a blast with LR3 as it makes me develop keepers as opposed to snapshot proliferation (at least to my humble standards). I've been getting used to the various LR3 processing tools so I am now on to learning all about LR3 layout tools. So much to learn and do ... but so much fun at the same time :)

The last one is the best for me, without doubt! Very nice presentation too. I need a macro lens! I have the Zuiko 50mm f2 and I've heard of some people using it on the NEX even though it's not right for the sensor size. I don't mind any vignetting it may cause as I nearly always add it anyway! Waiting to see some examples before I go searching for an adapter.

Still loving the Nikon 60mm Micro. Obviously I have been setting aperture and focus manually on my NEX but I will be borrowing a friend's Nikon DSLR over Christmas to see if how the lens performs within an integrated system.

Until then, here's a few more macro shots - some taken outdoors on a recent outing - nothing spectacular just learning/mimicking other images around the web.

Not quite ready to try water drops in motion:
20101206-DSC02770-1.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Testing out the bokeh - I like it :)
20101206-DSC02793-1.jpg

Interesting to me as a Vancouverite - I've always viewed moss as a minor nuisance but up close like this it is quite intriguing:
20101206-DSC02791-1.jpg

I completely missed this thread, Kevin! You are very witty with your Focal Fun. I don't know why, but for me, I like the first one the best...though I do understand what you were getting after with the others.

The red water droplets image reminds me of some sort of being's face, a very cute being, at that. Nice bokeh, yes, and as for moss - I think it's beautiful!

nex+macro

Hello here..I'm new here. And I'm really excited with macro, unfortunotely, NEX5 isn't comfortable for macro than Canon EOS, I always have tremor. Well at least I try
Kiron 105
maem.jpg

Volna 50/2,8
DSC00243.JPG

Wow, iaza! Amazing closeups! I know what the first insect is, but who/what is that diabolical looking second one? It's easy to see why science fiction writers and film makers love to model their characters after the insect world.

Those are fantastic shots! I have a 50mm macro but I keep reading and seeing photos like yours that are convincing me that I need to get a 100mm macro lens.

Believe me, shoot macro with NEX + 100mm macro isn't easy. The rate of success is very low compare to using Canon EOS DSLR. Tremor/handshake is main problem. So even this Kiron 105/2,8 have 1:1 maginification. I cannot use it in closest distance, yet. except for still object.
@BBW, Itsn't easy to find this insect. I don't know what it is. That night it came to my home. Last time, I saw it the bigger one in 2000 when I still shot with film.

here's it detail 100% crop with Kiron no flash
kumbang.jpg

Back