Sony NEX Body and lens leaks on sonyrumors.com

wt21

Hall of Famer
sonyalpharumors | Blog | (SR5) Huge Sony leak!!!

Is it just me (and as an EP3 owner, I think my aesthetic is pretty much defined), or does that NEX7 look boxy and angular? I just don't like the look, whereas I didn't mind so much the NEX3. Also, the e-mount lenses continue to be huge. I'm open to the NEX (or any other compact mirrorless), but these announcements make me feel even better in spending on the ($200 too expensive) EP3.

No judgment here -- it's all personal aesthetics. Others might find the NEX7 beautiful.

I also thought the 24mm lens (shown on the NEX7) was to be reworked to a pancake design? I've read a number of folks comment that the flange back distance of the Sony is too short for good lens design. I wonder if that's true...

If that IS the NEX 7 then I'm enormously inspired and attentive now! I'm not really a camera enthusiast more an image enthusiast,......but that looks like a VERY serious piece of equipement to me,...it's a little bigger than my NEX 3 judging by size of lens mount, which is no bad thing, and has some of the vital parts of the system that we are waiting on,...the accessory shoe could be one of several game changers.

At last the NEX 'system' looks to be moving on from a pair of doubtful compact cameras without identity or complete kit, and we know about some of Sony's marketing disaters in the past.....

If that IS the NEX 7 then I'm eyes down and looking to do what I did with the NEX 3 ....ie., wait until near the end of production and hunt for a good (like half) price deal.

.....Quite excited now suddenly if this really IS the next NEX model because teh NEX 3 has shown me how good things might be with some intelligent design rather than 'more smallness' and styling!

The Nex 7 looks a lot like the rumored image a month or so ago. The Zeiss looks considerably bigger than I'd thought and I wasn't expecting a pancake. I'm sure the new bodies will be very nice and they'll take stellar images with the Zeiss, but there's not near enough in this "system" for me to go back anytime soon. I'll give it a year or two and see how the line develops but the little lenses aren't as good as m43 equivalents and the good lenses are too large for me to want to shoot with everyday. I'm sure the sensors and the IQ will be excellent when paired with decent glass.

-Ray

If that IS the NEX 7 then I'm enormously inspired and attentive now! I'm not really a camera enthusiast more an image enthusiast,......but that looks like a VERY serious piece of equipement to me,...it's a little bigger than my NEX 3 judging by size of lens mount, which is no bad thing, and has some of the vital parts of the system that we are waiting on,...the accessory shoe could be one of several game changers.

At last the NEX 'system' looks to be moving on from a pair of doubtful compact cameras without identity or complete kit, and we know about some of Sony's marketing disaters in the past.....

If that IS the NEX 7 then I'm eyes down and looking to do what I did with the NEX 3 ....ie., wait until near the end of production and hunt for a good (like half) price deal.

.....Quite excited now suddenly if this really IS the next NEX model because teh NEX 3 has shown me how good things might be with some intelligent design rather than 'more smallness' and styling!

I do agree that the features seems nice (built in EVF and accessory port, etc.). Also, Sony does price their products nicely (at least at the moment).

Another E-P3 user here, and it looks ugly to me as well :). I had the same reaction as Ray to the Zeiss - bigger than expected, even keeping in mind how small these NEX bodies are.

Credit to Sony for bringing out a model with an integrated EVF and no "hump". People have been asking for that forever, and neither Pana nor Olympus have seen fit to deliver it.

I don't basically care what cameras actually look like, but that they are functional,....on the other hand, I'm suspicious of any maker who 'styles' cameras to look like something from the 1960's minus viewfinder, in the hope of persuading buyers that they are 'retro' or 'film like'........

.........Like some cars, a bit too 'girly' for me!

I don't basically care what cameras actually look like, but that they are functional,....on the other hand, I'm suspicious of any maker who 'styles' cameras to look like something from the 1960's minus viewfinder, in the hope of persuading buyers that they are 'retro' or 'film like'........

.........Like some cars, a bit too 'girly' for me!

I like girlys.

I bet the Nex 7 has the potential for some very nice files. Perhaps great for landscapes, especially with legacy glass.

But, the native lenses are not just big, they are, proportionally, vast. Even accounting for the planned lenses, the range and physical size causes me to say that the Nex just does not do justice to the idea of mirror-less. It's about a lot more than making the body small and producing great quality from that size - the whole system has to be small, effective and produce the necessary quality.

Love the integrated VF. Will wait to judge when properly released, but nothing here to make me move from M4/3.

Here we go again with the Sony hate. First the NEX-3 and 5 were ugly and now the NEX-7 is ugly. I think it looks great and I consider my aesthetics as refined as anyone else's. I really don't see the point of posts calling cameras ugly, esp. when it's obvious a lot of people are very excited about this camera. It's the image quality that counts in any case. I left m43 for NEX5 due to its better low-light IQ, and have no regrets or plans to return. I can't wait to get my hands on the NEX-7, assuming the reviews are good, and if they are it will be a big seller. The VF is a big plus to many people. The 24mm looks big but I was never interested in that focal length anyway.

I don't hate Sony. I had a Nex 5 and quite liked it. The looks neither thrill me nor bother me (its a CAMERA!). In many ways I thought it was a great camera. If there had been more and better lenses it might have replaced m43 as my primary system, although I think the lenses will necessarily always be too large at the long end. I was psyched about the Zeiss 24, but the X100 came to market first and is a nice size and now that the Zeiss looks like its only a couple or few months away, its much bigger than I expected - looks notably bigger than the kit zoom, although I guess I can't be sure of that until I see one in person. So I sold it and may or may not take another look at it in another couple of years when its had time to mature.

I don't really sense much Nex hate here. Sure, some people think its ugly, but that's a subjective thing - many people probably think any camera is gonna be ugly. To me its about how it works and shoots and what kinds of features it brings to the table that might make it easier for me to get the shot I'm after. By that standard I liked the Nex a lot and I suspect I'd like the Nex 7 even more.

-Ray

Here we go again with the Sony hate. First the NEX-3 and 5 were ugly and now the NEX-7 is ugly. I think it looks great and I consider my aesthetics as refined as anyone else's. I really don't see the point of posts calling cameras ugly, esp. when it's obvious a lot of people are very excited about this camera. It's the image quality that counts in any case. I left m43 for NEX5 due to its better low-light IQ, and have no regrets or plans to return. I can't wait to get my hands on the NEX-7, assuming the reviews are good, and if they are it will be a big seller. The VF is a big plus to many people. The 24mm looks big but I was never interested in that focal length anyway.

I was the one who used the word "ugly", and I certainly don't consider my taste more refined than anyone elses, nor do I harbor any Sony "hate". In fact, I've had mostly positive things to say about NEX from the outset? What's wrong with stating my personal take on the design? I couldn't care less if someone were to call my E-P3 ugly (or girly :)).

The NEX7 body looks promising and its sensor performance will most likely kick butt. However, it will suffer from the same shortcomings as the NEX3/5 did - simply not enough convincing AF lenses. The new Zeiss prime looks way too bulky, the kit zoom and the 16mm pancake mediocre. For MF lens fans, though, it could be the one to buy e.g. as a spare tire type of back up to a M system.

Amazing how nonsense sticks. I haven't used the 16 so can't comment on its performance though many others can. I do regularly use the 18-55 and the assertion that the lens is 'mediocre' is simply nonsense. It is similar in performance to nearly every similar kit zoom from all manufacturers - that is to say, it is perfectly acceptable in 90% of circumstances.

Regarding the 24, why does it fail to be convincing simply by virtue of being 'bulky'? What does this have to do with its capabilities?

And, as I regularly ask those DSLR users who complained endlessly about Sony's lack of A-Mount lenses, exactly how many lenses do you want?

Amazing how nonsense sticks. I haven't used the 16 so can't comment on its performance though many others can. I do regularly use the 18-55 and the assertion that the lens is 'mediocre' is simply nonsense. It is similar in performance to nearly every similar kit zoom from all manufacturers - that is to say, it is perfectly acceptable in 90% of circumstances.

Regarding the 24, why does it fail to be convincing simply by virtue of being 'bulky'? What does this have to do with its capabilities?

And, as I regularly ask those DSLR users who complained endlessly about Sony's lack of A-Mount lenses, exactly how many lenses do you want?

Thanks for confirming my point. Kit zooms are mediocre, including the one for the NEX. And yes, I do have a NEX 5 with both lenses. Bought it in 2010, used it for a few weeks and have not touched it since. It's collecting dust in a closet. A good camera body held back by its mediocre lenses. Did anybody say bulky=lack of performance? I don't think so. The point for all these compact/large sensor systems and cameras is to offer max IQ and performance at an as portable size as possible. With the exception of the 16mm pancake, the Sony A mount lenses do not fit the bill for many in this respect. If I had to choose between between mediocre sensor and excellent glass (mft), versus class leading sensor and mediocre glass, I'd always opt for the former, as sensor technology will continue to improve.

It really depends how one 'measures' mediocrity........

I'm with janis and Olli on this. Since the NEX's are very small and exceptionally thin having only 18mm register distance, it has to follow that any lenses fitted are going to look out of proportion.

The NEX 18 to 55 is actually a very small lens when compared to 18 to 55's by all of the DSLR makers. It's also light in weight and actually not very expensive, so, apart from a serious lack of any depth of field guidance (come on Mr Sony!), what's not to like?

As regards the "mediocre" performance that we keep hearing about, it's probably true that all teh people using NEX with their Leica lenses DO get superior image quality,.......However, I have been nicely surprised by the 18 to 55 which has turned out to be much better than I expected although, as mentioned, some depth of field help would have been nice. I only use it with aperture priority and on f8 but have had some quite crisp prints up to A3 by using good technique and some basic care.

When I read about 'how poor' people consider the kit zoom I usually note that they are not actually users themselves but are just repeating observed 'wisdom' of others. I've yet to read of anyone criticising the kit zoom in any really specific context with provided samples.

Back