Sony NEX Body and lens leaks on sonyrumors.com

For the kind of street shooting I mostly did with the Nex, it was more about variety than quality. I didn't mind the quality of the kit zoom, but I don't generally like shooting with a zoom for that kind of stuff. I'd rather shoot with a prime that's at least reasonably fast. The 16mm was good enough and fast enough and small enough for my purposes - its just wider than I wanted to shoot with as an only lens. Something in a 28mm and 35mm equivalent would have helped a lot, but the 28 wasn't even projected to exist and the 35 (in the form of the Zeiss) kept being delayed and it turns out looks really quite large - larger than I'd want to carry as a daily shooting on a very small camera. I'm sure it will be excellent, but its not what I had in mind. A lot of people don't like the quality of the Nex lenses and I'm sure they're not that great, but they're good enough for me. It just that there's only one that useable for what I like to do and its too wide for use as a primary/only lens. I love shooting with that little camera, but it needs a couple more decent little lenses before I'm going back there. And I don't see ANY small lenses on the horizon. I guess its just a limitation of the sensor size, but it doesn't appear to be anywhere close to meeting my personal set of needs/wants.

-Ray

I think, retow, that you and I have a different understanding of the meaning of the word 'mediocre'. The Sony kit lens for me and many others is, as Ray says, good 'enough'.

As regards the 24 and bulk - in what sense is it not 'portable'? I keep reading comments from people saying that the Sony lenses are too big or too heavy or too bulky. But what exactly do you want? What size, what weight?

Another E-P3 user here, and it looks ugly to me as well :). I had the same reaction as Ray to the Zeiss - bigger than expected, even keeping in mind how small these NEX bodies are.

Credit to Sony for bringing out a model with an integrated EVF and no "hump". People have been asking for that forever, and neither Pana nor Olympus have seen fit to deliver it.

Congrats on your E-P3, Amin!
Beauty must be in the eye of the beholder. I find the NEX-7 gorgeous: an modern, elegant, minimalistic and functional design (as far as can be gleaned form the leaked photos).
Yes, the Zeiss is larger than expected. That wouldn't be a problem for me as long as the optical quality is excellent. I use my GH2 mostly with the 20mm pancake, so for me as long as the NEX-7 + 24/1.8 isn't heavier than the GH2 + 20/1.7, that would be OK (around 550g). I would really like a rangefinder shaped body with integrated EVF and articulated screen. I'd like to continue using MFT lenses, so a pro GF would be my preference. But if the Panasonic doesn't feature an articulated screen, then I may look into the Sony.

If this is an accurate or semi-accurate rendering of the finished product it is looking good to me. I don't care what it looks like but the presence of the standard Mionlta/Sony hot shoe suggests that it will work with existing Alpha flashguns and the viewfinder - presumably electronic - gives that option when needed. The critical question remaining is speed - both in general and AF. If Sony have cracked this and got anywhere close to a DSLR speed I think my DSLR kit will finally be going on the market.

This camera together with the G standard zoom, the Zeiss 24, and the wide angle zoom and 55-200ish zoom will be all I need. Now we just need to see how accurate these reports are and how much it's going to cost.

I think, retow, that you and I have a different understanding of the meaning of the word 'mediocre'. The Sony kit lens for me and many others is, as Ray says, good 'enough'.

As regards the 24 and bulk - in what sense is it not 'portable'? I keep reading comments from people saying that the Sony lenses are too big or too heavy or too bulky. But what exactly do you want? What size, what weight?

I wished it was cargo pant/jacket pocketable. The form and size of the NEX7 with integrated EVF look great. All it needed was good quality pancakes such as e.g. the Samsung 30mm f2 (45mm equiv.) and the Pentax 70mm f2.4.

OK. Understand. From my point of view I've never worried about a camera being pocketable since I know how much junk there is in my pockets and the last thing I want to do is transfer it all to my camera:)

I just carry a small messenger bag with me - lightweight and unobtrusive. The big benefit of the CSC approach for me is not so much size but weight. The NEX-7 will clearly weigh more than the NEX-5 and the Zeiss looks like it will probably be similar to the kit zoom but even at that the combination is still a lot lighter than my DSLR + zoom combination.

OK. Understand. From my point of view I've never worried about a camera being pocketable since I know how much junk there is in my pockets and the last thing I want to do is transfer it all to my camera:)

I just carry a small messenger bag with me - lightweight and unobtrusive. The big benefit of the CSC approach for me is not so much size but weight. The NEX-7 will clearly weigh more than the NEX-5 and the Zeiss looks like it will probably be similar to the kit zoom but even at that the combination is still a lot lighter than my DSLR + zoom combination.

The Nex 7 is certainly interesting. As a camera it appears it may have some of the things I like: a good (even great) sensor, probably a very good screen, integrated EVF (and I bet it's a beauty) and lots of direct controls. I don't know about the look and feel, and I don't think anyone does just yet. What Sony does not yet offer is the range of prime lenses that I prefer. Also, I find the rumored lens roadmap really odd.

But these are my needs, and not a criticism of a camera we have not yet seen or used. I will certainly look at the camera when released, and probably even envy the sensor - but those lenses...

agree

I totally agree, who is putting an NEX into a pocket? Even with the lens completely off, it would never fit into any of my pockets. Nor would I trust it there if it did fit.

Now a jacket pocket, maybe.

The NEX-7 looks to be a move to more mainstream, hopefully to gain more support. We will see as it comes closer and we see working models.

One thing about Sony design is that they sure are consistent. From the original Mavica to the MVC-FD91 to the DSC-F707, it's easy to trace the design lineage of the NEX-7.

NEX has tremendous potential, and the availability of a tele zoom and the Zeiss lens will be a giant step in that direction. Hopefully the Zeiss lens will be reasonably affordable. I have to say, the NEX-7 design is growing on me :D.

On some sites it's being suggested/reported that the Zeiss 24mm will hae it's own blade shutter,...not sure of the significance of that but both quietness and advanced (or at least better) flash synch come to mind......

The reported price for the Zeiss is 1000 US dollars,...so, given 'twice' the price here in the UK of £1000, it seems unlikely that I will ever get my hands on one. However, it's a great developement for NEX that won't do us users any harm at all,....And i doubt it's optical quality is too much less than some carefully chosen manual lenses from previous SLR systems, and i'm not fussed about auto focus for much of what I want to do.

The camera has me more excited than the lens. I think the Nex 7 will rattle a few cages especially the Fuji one. If the EVF lives up to the expectations, well that camera will be the camera that Fuji has to compete with.
The X100 is a great camera but the lens thing will attract many to the Nex from the Fuji.
Can't wait to see it in person.
My Nex 5 is nervous....

The camera has me more excited than the lens. I think the Nex 7 will rattle a few cages especially the Fuji one. If the EVF lives up to the expectations, well that camera will be the camera that Fuji has to compete with.
The X100 is a great camera but the lens thing will attract many to the Nex from the Fuji.
Can't wait to see it in person.
My Nex 5 is nervous....

I agree. The camera itself looks interesting (at least from what we know) for the things I value. The lens situation sucks a bit from my perspective, but we shall see.

Fortunately, with the Nex, your not married to any lens. I use my Leica M and Canon FD glass and it's great. So anything Sony comes out with for glass, is maybe a temptation at most.
The camera can mate with almost anything. That is a distinct advantage especially the new body. I'm hyped to say the least.

I did a garden party last night. I used the Nex 5 with my 35 Lux and Canon 50 1.8 at iso 12800. I think it's against the law to be so happy with the results.

Fortunately, with the Nex, your not married to any lens. I use my Leica M and Canon FD glass and it's great. So anything Sony comes out with for glass, is maybe a temptation at most.
The camera can mate with almost anything. That is a distinct advantage especially the new body. I'm hyped to say the least.

I did a garden party last night. I used the Nex 5 with my 35 Lux and Canon 50 1.8 at iso 12800. I think it's against the law to be so happy with the results.

Fair point, of course. I should have been more specific. While I use, and enjoy, a variety of 'legacy' glass, I still want AF lenses, and the Nex range does not yet have what I prefer to use.

I agree. The 16 and kit zoom leave something to be desired. I have used both and got acceptable results but not outstanding. I like AF also but the Nex with the peaking is ideal for MF. The new Zeiss can go either way.
We'll know soon.

I disagree with the assessment regarding the kit lenses that came with the NEX3/5. They are not great. But for the price, they are good. Both had quiet AF systems. AF is pretty fast on both. The zoom has IS. IMO, they are no worse than the kit zoom 14-42 that came with my EP2 in terms of IQ, but the AF was much better. I've seen some great photos taken with both kit lenses.

Yeah, the NEX is kinda square looking and a bit odd looking with the new Zeiss 24 on it. BUT, that's primarily because the body is so small. Stick any micro 4/3 lens (other than the 14/2.5) on the NEX, and the combo is still odd looking. I suppose Sony could make the NEX bigger to make the combo more balanced looking. But then, I'm sure the complaint would be about "why is the NEX about the same size of an A55" and how "there is no advantage to getting a NEX". I do wish Sony would make the Zeiss 24 smaller, but I suppose there's probably some physical limitation. Sony needs to ask Pentax how they make the Ltd lenses.

I'm pretty excited about the NEX7 and hope that it does well. I'm excited about the A77 too!

Armando, don't get me wrong brother. I like the 16 and with the UWA adapter, it becomes a great lens. I have a lot of good images from the 16.
I'm talking how good the camera is for MF glass.

The Nex 7 is a game changer for everyone. It's a camera that pushes the envelope and then pushes again.
I'm excited. On my m43 stuff... I absolutely hated me M glass on those cameras. On the Nex, it's a whole new ball game.

I disagree with the assessment regarding the kit lenses that came with the NEX3/5. They are not great. But for the price, they are good. Both had quiet AF systems. AF is pretty fast on both. The zoom has IS. IMO, they are no worse than the kit zoom 14-42 that came with my EP2 in terms of IQ, but the AF was much better. I've seen some great photos taken with both kit lenses.

Yeah, the NEX is kinda square looking and a bit odd looking with the new Zeiss 24 on it. BUT, that's primarily because the body is so small. Stick any micro 4/3 lens (other than the 14/2.5) on the NEX, and the combo is still odd looking. I suppose Sony could make the NEX bigger to make the combo more balanced looking. But then, I'm sure the complaint would be about "why is the NEX about the same size of an A55" and how "there is no advantage to getting a NEX". I do wish Sony would make the Zeiss 24 smaller, but I suppose there's probably some physical limitation. Sony needs to ask Pentax how they make the Ltd lenses.

I'm pretty excited about the NEX7 and hope that it does well. I'm excited about the A77 too!

Armando,

I probably wasn't clear. I am sure the kit zoom is fine. For my preferred way of shooting I want good AF primes, around 28, 35, 50 and 70 or even 90 in 35mm equivalents. new just does not offer the option.

I think the camera will be very good, and I would even be a possible buyer, but without the primes I need, it can't happen. Unless of course I review how I shoot etc.

We shall see. The one thing I don't doubt is that given good glass, the sensor will really perform.

There's 2 key things for the Nex.
The Screen is unreal in any condition.
The sensor is great.
The third yet to be seen thing will be the EVF. I think that feature alone will turn heads.
I imagine it will be the best EVF so far.

Now add those 3 things up, stir in the peaking feature and ya come up with the best camera ever on this planet.

If they dont screw up the interface, ok.. We have liftoff.
This will either be the Kertesz of cameras or it'll be the Henry Smith.

Back