Sony NEX news from Messe Berlin (with pics)

teshi

Rookie
These are from yesterday whilst I was there. A lot to see from the Sony booth so will be heading back on Saturday so any other pic requests/questions you want answered, please drop me a PM and will do what I can.

dsc05213b.jpg

dsc05247hs.jpg

New NEX-7 with zoom lens
dsc05254ox.jpg

NEX-7 with Zeiss 24 1.8 which was wow
dsc05255g.jpg

NEX-7 EVF - It is good!
dsc05257rx.jpg

NEX-5n
dsc05261h.jpg

New accessories. EVF not backwards compatible with NEX-3 and NEX-5 but no matter
dsc05262ey.jpg

dsc05271x.jpg

New A77
dsc05276z.jpg

Im not a fan to plug Facebook but the rest of my photos here
IFA 2011 - Sony Press Day | Facebook

Blog and read up are here from NEX and a few other bits
Sony at IFA 2011 – Reborn | clarity-rebirth / the:revision

Awesome shots, teshi! Welcome to S.C. and thanks for sharing these. Did you get to handle the NEX-7 and Zeiss 24/1.8? How did they feel?

Thanks Amin. I tried out all NEX-7's since that is my next purchase. If you are a current NEX-3/C-3/5 owner, the 7 WILL take some getting used to. It still has the dial on the rear but the top dials are something new to me but have no issues in getting used to them.

It was amazingly responsive, I expected it to be quick but focus and lag where next to nothing....as for the Zeiss, well sadly I could not get any photos taken with it due to the products being sealed but will see if I can speak to the relevant people to get a working sample or giving it a try when I can. It was nice and light to start with and build was what I expected and feels as good as the other NEX e-mount lenses. The final results on images, sharp and bokeh was appealing considering the size.

The biggest issue is going to be price which was not mentioned or quoted so I am not a fan of rumours but if it comes at about £500 or so then fine, anything higher is going to put me off and rather go for the SAL35F18 which I would have to say is just as good in its IQ compared to the Zeiss since I got to compare them both side by side.

I am going back to spend more time on the NEX-7 and NEX-5n so will update this and my blog on Sat or whilst I wait for my plane on Sunday.

Overall, more impressed with the new NEX lineup than I was with the A77 which was expected.

Thanks for the images Teshi. I'm particularly glad to see the shot of the 55-210 on the camera since I was wondering how big this would be. If there are any examples of this lens on the NEX3/5 sized body a shot of that would be great too. Thanks also for the info on the Sony tablets on your blog.

I suspect you are going to be out of luck on the price of the 24mm. There is nothing yet on the Sony UK website but there is a price for the NEX-7 - 1129GBP which compares to the US price of $1199. So given that the US price on the 24 is $999 I think the best you can expect is 899GBP.

Thanks for the images Teshi. I'm particularly glad to see the shot of the 55-210 on the camera since I was wondering how big this would be. If there are any examples of this lens on the NEX3/5 sized body a shot of that would be great too. Thanks also for the info on the Sony tablets on your blog.

I suspect you are going to be out of luck on the price of the 24mm. There is nothing yet on the Sony UK website but there is a price for the NEX-7 - 1129GBP which compares to the US price of $1199. So given that the US price on the 24 is $999 I think the best you can expect is 899GBP.

No worries. I been speaking to some internal staff and that seems to be the same verdict. We all fear the UK price will be a lot more so be rare to see which is a shame but keeps in line with that exclusive brand. It's not the end of the world like I said since the A mount 35 1.8 comes very close IMO to sharpness and IQ so not going to lose too much sleep over it.

I will head back on Sat and try and get some more NEX pics and anything else from the show for everyone. :)

Not 100% sure on that but I will put that question to the staff on Saturday. If you do not hear from me, pester me. :) I will ask. I did find it difficult since with glasses, it did not always recognise that my eye was there but maybe it was me. Will try again.

cool

Great to hear your perspective and see a few pics of the NEX-7.
I agree that the estimated price seems quite steep. I understand that the 7 has a lot of new features, and could be the best compact ever built. However, a lot of people bought into the NEX platform because it did not have the heavy DSLR price tag.

Great to hear your perspective and see a few pics of the NEX-7.
I agree that the estimated price seems quite steep. I understand that the 7 has a lot of new features, and could be the best compact ever built. However, a lot of people bought into the NEX platform because it did not have the heavy DSLR price tag.
Agreed but the NEX-7 is not really following the same lines. Personally as I see it (my opinion may vary) is a side step creating a "prosumer" version of a consumer product. The majority of average joes wont want the extra creativity and flexibility especially if all they want is a screen to use to take and view photos.

The main reason why I would go for it is the EVF, its performance in a small travel sized body making it ideal to mount onto camera rigs for automotive work vs when I used my 5D and prayed every time.

I think the hardest thing is going to be explain, you really need to try it for yourself but at the same am concerned about its pricing BUT the other reason could be to maintain an exclusivity since most people will go for the NEX-C3 and NEX-5n. Same with Zeiss, not everyone can afford it and creates its own unique class. Possibly the same route with the NEX-7. Either way, im not putting any money down for pre-order just yet...I rather play with it some more before my final conclusion.

I guess it is at the shiny new period at the moment so hard to say just yet.

Sadly as an invite from Sony, the only booth open was for the Sony Press Conference so additional stands, well I have to visit on Saturday so will report back.

As for the Sony 3D, well it is pretty much on a level where it has become more flexible including 3D personal viewer which was amazing for gaming and a Vaio which had a regular screen but with an attachment, turned it into a 3D screen which was pretty cool. Not to mention a Playstation 3D split screen monitor. Oh a techies heaven.

Either way, I will go visit Fujifilm whilst I am there and anything else I can get to see before I run out of time. :) (added you on Twitter so I can keep you posted if I can)

Back