Next gear wish list

Leica type 240, but far to expensive for me, maybe I can afford it in about 8-9 years time :rolleyes:

I really like the nice Sony RX1, but I don´t like the price, maybe I can get it used in a couple of years time.

But I will try to get a nice used Leica M9 maybe next year, if I can save up the money.

And I plan to get a pre-asph 35 Summicron..

But I don´t really NEED new gear :)

My trouble is that I don't know what I want anymore! I'm in the middle of selling off my stuff and find myself with two half systems and a Fuji X100. I really want to love the Fuji X Pro 1 but I don't think it's going to focus fast enough with the 60mm macro for portraits. I've tried using continuous focus which works faster and gives green focus confirmation. When I look at the pictures though, very few are in focus after all. The EM5 has great focus but I find the tiny buttons really irritating. I need someone to tell me what I want I think :D

I've put down a deposit on the M but I would need a really great portrait lens for it as that would be my main use I think.

My trouble is that I don't know what I want anymore! I'm in the middle of selling off my stuff and find myself with two half systems and a Fuji X100. I really want to love the Fuji X Pro 1 but I don't think it's going to focus fast enough with the 60mm macro for portraits. I've tried using continuous focus which works faster and gives green focus confirmation. When I look at the pictures though, very few are in focus after all. The EM5 has great focus but I find the tiny buttons really irritating. I need someone to tell me what I want I think :D

I've put down a deposit on the M but I would need a really great portrait lens for it as that would be my main use I think.

Leica don't make a bad portrait lens. Even the Summarit range are quite stunning. So unless you need a 90mm f2 that's what I'd be getting. In fact that's exactly what I did.

Gordon

Christilou..... don't forget that the Pentax FA77 you have been using on a cropped sensor. The M is a full frame camera. I don't think there is any normal sort of equivalent M mount lens in a focal length of 115mm. Perhaps one of the Leicaphiles can make a recommendation to you (although having zero in body stabilization......those longer focal lengths may make you wish for your Pentax or OMD back). Forewarned is forearmed.

I've managed to tame my gear hunger (to some extent) by going back to shooting medium format film, alongside digital mirrorless. There's a lot that's good about it... Having said that I would like some nice glass:)

m43 focal length x 2 = full frame
Pentax x 1.5 = full frame

the Oly 75 would be equal to a 150mm on a full frame...... not very hand holdable in poor light. Big sensors are great for image quality.....less so for other things. Good luck.

equivalent to what?
a 75mm focal length lens has the same angle of view on m4/3 as a 150mm lens on what gets called "full frame" (i.e. a sensor the same size as a 35mm film frame)
What many people traditionally regard as a "portrait" focal lengths (for 35mm/"full frame") would be somewhere between 75mm and 135mm.
If you like your 75mm on m4/3 best as a portrait lens, you'd want a 150mm on a "full frame" camera ... only you'll struggle to find one in M mount and have to settle for a 135mm.
I wouldn't worry too much about IS. Jane Bown used to manage rather well without it.

To get the same field of view on a current Leica M body as your FA77 on a current pentax body you'll need a Leica lens in the 115mm range.

To get the same field of view on a current Leica M body as the Olympus 75mm 1.8 on an Olympus/Panasonic body you'll need something like a 150mm Leica lens.

Leica don't make either of these. The closest are 90mm or 135mm. The 135mm lens is stunning but hard to focus easily as it's right at the tolerances of the rangefinder. And it's over $4000.00. I have one and it's fantastic, but I revert to 90mm in the studio because it's just much easier to use. With my 135mm I also need to shoot at around 1/200 to get critically sharp images. The 90mm does balance better on the camera.

gordon

Back