Next up - ROME!

HeatherTheVet

Top Veteran
Name
Heather
I am off to Rome for a day or two next week. I have never been to Italy so I'm really looking forward to it, started reading up on what to do and where to go today.

What are your top tips? What should I not miss, and are there any special photo tricks I should know?

The Crypt of Santa Maria della Concezione dei Cappuccini. Wild place - you can't take it's worth seeing. More here. We also did a tour of the catacombs which was fascinating, though with only a couple of days it might not be ideal since it really needs about half a day.

Hi Heather

I loved Rome. You can see my pictures from my trip here: Rome - a set on Flickr

I'd recommend you keep your valuables close too. No matter where you go!

You'll love it, loads of photo opportunities just walking around the streets.

Take an espresso in the Piazza Navona, so you can watch the passers-by, but don't eat there. Go to La Fiametta, great food, good prices.

And keep your camera on hyperfocal, Rome is even better than Paris for street :)

Well, Rome is pretty amazing.

8553592998_594af949e0_b.jpg
[/url] Proportions by heather_t_vet, on Flickr[/IMG]
8552486937_15f274b241_b.jpg
[/url] St Peters Square by heather_t_vet, on Flickr[/IMG]
8553561100_fd19339a48_b.jpg
[/url] Rome in the Rain by heather_t_vet, on Flickr[/IMG]
8553551988_1b5ec57f82_b.jpg
[/url] St Peters by heather_t_vet, on Flickr[/IMG]
8553546602_0fda0e056b_b.jpg
[/url] Castel Sant'Angello by heather_t_vet, on Flickr[/IMG]
8552428729_27482c6fc9_b.jpg
[/url] How high is your column? by heather_t_vet, on Flickr[/IMG]
8553525440_811421edb6_b.jpg
[/url] Pantheon by heather_t_vet, on Flickr[/IMG]
8549428935_8af50df7e7_b.jpg
[/url] Trevi Fountain by heather_t_vet, on Flickr[/IMG]
8550511272_e2097e9304_b.jpg
[/url] Forum by heather_t_vet, on Flickr[/IMG]
8549399481_75edfc9314_b.jpg
[/url] Piazza Navona by heather_t_vet, on Flickr[/IMG]

I guess you'll see the Spanish steps, the Colosseum, the cathedral of St.Paul and Vatican... most do, I did. There are many grand spots, it's the eternal city, after all. But there are equally many beautiful little spots, everywhere, and what I liked the best was that you can literary feel the history on it's streets.

You can walk around and touch the marble columns where Ceasars once walked, enter the arena of the gladiators, or enjoy the masterpieces of the Renaissance. The city redefines the meaning of the word "old" - we usually consider the thing of 50 or 70 years in those terms; there they consider the remnants of antique times as old and the buildings from, say, 16th century are still used:)

I am off to Rome for a day or two next week. I have never been to Italy so I'm really looking forward to it, started reading up on what to do and where to go today.

What are your top tips? What should I not miss, and are there any special photo tricks I should know?

Dear Heather,

It is obvious from your images that your trip to Rome was very successful and that you have considerable ability as a photographer, a real aesthetic sense. You obviously don't need advice as to what and where to shoot, but I would like to offer advice to other photo enthusiasts who are going to Rome for the first time.

I will offer not what is best in Rome, who can say that, but what I have found to be my favorites.

Piazza Navona, is often considered the best urban square in the world, and it is especially fascinating at night with all the activities, artists, street entertainers, cafes, restaurants, and of course the world famous Bernini Fountains.

My favorite is nearby, the Piazza del Rotunda, which is in front of the Pantheon, the oldest building still in continuous use in the world, and an architectural masterpiece.

The Piazza itself is a delight, sit in a cafe for a while and observe life there.

Around the corner from the Piazza is the Basilica di Santa Maria sopra Minerva, where Galileo was tried by the Inquisition. In the front outside is and elephant sculpture by Bernini, with a small obelisk on its back. Many tourists to the Pantheon never notice this church, which has a important art inside, including a sculpture of Christ by Michelangelo.

If a visitor has lot and lots of of money, they could stay in the Hotel del Senato at P. della Rotunda, in a small room in the front with a balcony overlooking the P. della Rotunda. The views of the P. are spectacular.

I advise people to avoid American hotels. Rather, they should look for a hotel near P. della Rotunda or P. Navona or the Spanish steps, or Trevi, in that order.

Il Foro Romano is the Roman Forum, a ten minute taxi ride away, the most important site in ancient Rome, the center of ancient Rome. If a person gets there at the right time, while it is open, they can walk down in it.

It can be viewed from above at any time from the Tarpean Rock, which is accessible from P. del Compidoglio, designed by Michelangelo and combining intimacy and grandeur in an incredibly beautiful way.

The Trevi Fountains are remarkable and are beloved by tourists. They are especially romantic at night.

The Spanish Steps are another interesting piazza, with a fountain sculpture and monumental steps where people gather, including Romans, at all hours, as at Trevi.

The Campo dei Fiori, a flower market at certain times of day, is a gathering place for Romans. The towering statute of the philosopher Giordano Bruno, stands on the exact spot where he was burned alive by the Inquisition, shortly before the trial of Galileo.

I enjoy taking photos of the places I have mentioned, plus outdoor cafes, street entertainers, and the exterior or even the interior, of stores that interest me, and restaurants where I am having a meal, and street scenes, and the interiors of churches. I use lots of establishing shots at 28m or 35 mm to give a sense of the locale and the environment, and a few short telephotos shots of details of buildings. Long zooms I find useless, Rome is too crowded.

For some really lovely and inspiriing photos of Rome by an artist, a teacher of the history of art, and an accomplished travel photographer, I enjoy the images posted by Carolyn Hammett on the web.

Krugman

:popcorm2: Well I dinnae ken about that Tam, it looks like Heather's trip was blighted wae the rain. If that's no reminiscent of Fife, along with the odd bit of rubble, then I can nae longer caw myself a Fifer!

Braw pictures though Heather. Rome needs a bit of time to see aw it's sights, like me, you need to go back!

Now, I'm goin to bed and see if I can sleep off ma Fife accent. It's no as broad in real life!

Aye it is that, mine's been better in Edinburgh, mind it's gaw be worse the morn. Ma new Q's still sittin' in its box no kennen wit to dae wae itself, its nae water proof! Nor am a come to think aboot it. My hubby wants to go up the hills, so not sure what kinda language is gonna come oot me tomorrow if it rains as forecast! Flowery Fife me thinks!

Off topic, no quite a Glesga kiss, but have you seen this smiley? :nutkick0:

Hi Krugman,

It took me a wee while to realise that you are new to Serious Compacts. Sorry I didn't say hello. Welcome aboard. I've been to Rome before but it was a good few years ago. Hoping to tour around Italy next year. It's a place you need plenty of time to relax and explore.

Back