Nice afternoon in the countryside with the X-Pro1

Stephen S

Veteran
Name
Stephen Scharf
Sent my X-T1 back to Fuji for the flare effect recall yesterday, so I got out in the countryside with the X-Pro1 today as we had some nice clouds and green hills (which don't last long in northern California).

It was quite a nice afternoon, and it felt great to get out, and do a little hiking and photography.

Norris Canyon Road, fairly close to where I live.
Norris-Canyon1.jpg

Norris-Canyon-Ranch-2.jpg

Pond near Morgan Territory Road Recreational Park staging area...mountain lion country!
Morgan-Territory-Pond-3.jpg

Cheers,
Stephen

Here's a comparison of one of the shots from yesterday, taken with the 14mm, 1) converted with Iridient Developer 2.3.4 to a TIFF, then subtle tweaks applied in LR 5.3, and 2) conversion done with Capture One 7.2.1.

Norris%20Canyon%20Rd2%20IR-LR.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Norris%20Canyon%20Rd2%20C1-2.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

(Note: I was able to correct the keystoning of the 14mm lens in C1, but not in LR in the first photo; this is why the crops are slightly different.

As good as Iridient Developer is (and it's very good), Capture One 7.2.1 still does the best job of RAW conversion, IMHO.

Here's a comparison of one of the shots from yesterday, taken with the 14mm, 1) converted with Iridient Developer 2.3.4 to a TIFF, then subtle tweaks applied in LR 5.3, and 2) conversion done with Capture One 7.2.1.
(Note: I was able to correct the keystoning of the 14mm lens in C1, but not in LR in the first photo; this is why the crops are slightly different.

As good as Iridient Developer is (and it's very good), Capture One 7.2.1 still does the best job of RAW conversion, IMHO.

I like the first three shots a lot, Stephen; what a lovely landscape. Regarding the conversion differences they're pretty obvious, it even shows in the thumbnails, the histograms and some straight BW conversions (see below).

View attachment 19865

The white balance seems about identical even though you can see some local hue shifts, especially in the green areas but also on the barn on the right - cyan > ultramarine / green > yellow (even on the sub-standard screen of my tablet PC). My own XP1 usually errs on the bluer side of the spectrum (same as my X10) and I would expect something like the first image SOOC. The real differences of the two samples lie more in exposure (especially the second image could need some correction, ~1/3 EV up) saturation, distribution of tonal values (local contrasts), and not at last microcontrast!(clarity) and hue separation. To me the first image appears a lot flatter or duller, even though it has more tonal contrast in the sky but the colors are nothing to write home about.
I did a quick,straight BW conversion of both images:

View attachment 19866

View attachment 19867

Pretty significant, huh ?!

I personally don't use either of those two converters but regarding the colors it's almost like comparing Ektachrome against Agfa CT. Interesting samples, thanks for sharing, Stephen

And so forth ... anybody else ?

Beautiful shots. I've seen tons of that area in photos - Rivendell Bicycles is in Walnut Creek and I've been getting their catalogs for years. And they feature all sorts of photos from various bike rides all around there. Particularly the roads and dirt roads and trails on Mt. Diablo. I've never ridden out there but I feel like I have. It's a beautiful area, as your photos so clearly show...

-Ray

I like the first three shots a lot, Stephen; what a lovely landscape. Regarding the conversion differences they're pretty obvious, it even shows in the thumbnails, the histograms and some straight BW conversions (see below).

View attachment 19912

The white balance seems about identical even though you can see some local hue shifts, especially in the green areas but also on the barn on the right - cyan > ultramarine / green > yellow (even on the sub-standard screen of my tablet PC). My own XP1 usually errs on the bluer side of the spectrum (same as my X10) and I would expect something like the first image SOOC. The real differences of the two samples lie more in exposure (especially the second image could need some correction, ~1/3 EV up) saturation, distribution of tonal values (local contrasts), and not at last microcontrast!(clarity) and hue separation. To me the first image appears a lot flatter or duller, even though it has more tonal contrast in the sky but the colors are nothing to write home about.
I did a quick,straight BW conversion of both images:

View attachment 19913

View attachment 19914

Pretty significant, huh ?!

I personally don't use either of those two converters but regarding the colors it's almost like comparing Ektachrome against Agfa CT. Interesting samples, thanks for sharing, Stephen

And so forth ... anybody else ?

Can't get these to load, unfortunately....

Back