Daily Challenge Nice article on the science of color vision.

Steve, thanks for the link to a most interesting article. I've known for a great many years that I'm partially blue/green colour blind, or in other words as the article suggests I see the blue/green colour divide differently to others. In point of fact I see it the same as my father saw it but differently to how my mother saw it. I was told at the time I was tested (1979) that some 10% of the male population react in this manner but only 1% of the female population, so mother was probably right, assuming there is a right. I wonder if that has something to do with my liking more muted colour images particularly with respect to landscape and reacting badly to what might be called the "Velvia" type landscape with very saturated blues and greens, some of which I find quite distasteful.
Having been processing some of my old 35mm and 120 film negatives over the past few weeks I was also interested to see the thoughts on film v digital, I've certainly been appreciating film output better and am swinging to the idea that it produces a more satisfying image compared to a digital one. I've expressed this idea in a recent post but was totally unable to explain why I had those feelings, most interesting.

Barrie

Steve, thanks for the link to a most interesting article. I've known for a great many years that I'm partially blue/green colour blind, or in other words as the article suggests I see the blue/green colour divide differently to others. In point of fact I see it the same as my father saw it but differently to how my mother saw it. I was told at the time I was tested (1979) that some 10% of the male population react in this manner but only 1% of the female population, so mother was probably right, assuming there is a right. I wonder if that has something to do with my liking more muted colour images particularly with respect to landscape and reacting badly to what might be called the "Velvia" type landscape with very saturated blues and greens, some of which I find quite distasteful.
Having been processing some of my old 35mm and 120 film negatives over the past few weeks I was also interested to see the thoughts on film v digital, I've certainly been appreciating film output better and am swinging to the idea that it produces a more satisfying image compared to a digital one. I've expressed this idea in a recent post but was totally unable to explain why I had those feelings, most interesting.

Barrie
We tend to make the assumption that our senses are essentially identical person to person. Our neuroscience program has a prof that studies taste and smell. He always pointed out that genetically taste could be very different. Broccoli, for example, is really bitter for some. It made me think of all those children and adults who hated broccoli and others didn't understand. I'd love to know the range of color and spectrum of color perception in the general population. There was a little study done by DPR recently to see which cell phones had the most pleasing pictures. The answer was almost completely based on high color saturation. I wonder if we did that with cameras and compared photographers with the general public if we would get different answers.

Back