Feedback Nice bright look at new site

you may also want to check out the other color "themes"....those are accessible at the bottom left of the page. One of the Dark Themes is kinda unusable, but I quite like the other dark theme. And I also am fond of the Medium theme. Try them all and see what works best for you.

I was wondering if anybody noticed. 😁 I was a bit under the weather, so to speak, and rather than stare at the ceiling I took the plunge and did the site upgrade.

I have to post an 'announcement' type thread yet, so I'm sorry for springing the changes on everybody without full explanations when we came back online, but it was a good time to do it.

If you notice anything, let me know. There is a bunch of tweaks to be done yet but I'm slowly knocking them out.

you may also want to check out the other color "themes"....those are accessible at the bottom left of the page. One of the Dark Themes is kinda unusable, but I quite like the other dark theme. And I also am fond of the Medium theme. Try them all and see what works best for you.
Wait, you can see all of them? 🤔 Only the 'Light' and 'Dark' themes should be viewable at the moment. {Kevin adds an item to his list to check out.} [EDIT: OK, temporarily disabled the other themes until I have a chance to go through them to make sure they're working, I know some of you guys would want the "Medium" choice back.]

Wait, you can see all of them? 🤔 Only the 'Light' and 'Dark' themes should be viewable at the moment. {Kevin adds an item to his list to check out.} [EDIT: OK, temporarily disabled the other themes until I have a chance to go through them to make sure they're working, I know some of you guys would want the "Medium" choice back.]
That explains where the other choices went.

I only see Light Theme as an option, and I dont much like either of them. The fonts have shrunk, too, making it difficult for those of us with visual issues to read. I'm probably the only one who doesnt like the new look. Sorry.

Dark Theme request

The orange bar below the timestamp is distracting, drawing too much attention to itself and away from the text and photography. Please tone it down (thickness and/or color).

Oh and +1 for increasing font size.

Thanks

Some quick items, pardon me if I missed anything...

Font Size - Looks like, at least for the "Light" theme, that both old & new are using 15px for the font size in posts but old was using Verdana while new is using Helvetica Neue/Helvitica/Arial/San Serif (for anybody not familiar with CSS, the multiple font definitions cascade to what is available). In a bit I'll go through and swap in Verdana on the "Light" and will check out the Dark theme font while I'm in there.

Theme Colors - Everybody should be seeing a choice of "Light" and "Dark" styles at the moment. The current "Light" theme really isn't much different from the old "Light" theme, they both just minor tweaks from the default software themes. For the "Dark" theme the only major difference in color pallete is the orange highlights (which, if the general opinion concedes, can be swapped out). With the "Light" theme being so close to the old "Light" theme, except for the font family I see now, I was expecting more complaints about the "Dark" theme. 😕

Sidebar when viewing Posts - The default is not to show a sidebar when viewing posts but that'll be back as a user controlled option again soon. The option is still in the preferences page but I need to configure sidebar itself yet to show it. Should be by tonight.

Verdana @ 15px...

Software default font @ 15px

I've got the font family defined currently then as 'Segoe UI', 'Helvetica Neue', Helvetica, Roboto, Oxygen, Ubuntu, Cantarell, 'Fira Sans', 'Droid Sans', sans-serif which is the software default font list with Verdana now in the #1 spot.

It's still 15px but Verdana appears to be slightly larger and it what the old "Light" theme was using as the default so the text show now be the same as it was before.

To be consistent the parent settings of both the "Light" and "Dark" were changed to use Verdana in the #1 spot so the text size & font is the same.

For those who want the sidebar when viewing posts again...

In your account preferences (https://cameraderie.org/account/preferences) turn the "Show right sidebar when viewing threads?" option. This will then show the sidebar when viewing threads, identical to the old method. The default is "No selection" which won't show the sidebar.

View attachment 193779
Kevin, only 5 or so recent posts are visible in the sidebar. Is that configurable? I'd be happy to do without the profile posts to make room.

Kevin, only 5 or so recent posts are visible in the sidebar. Is that configurable? I'd be happy to do without the profile posts to make room.
Thanks for catching that. The default is is 5, I bumped it up to 10 to mimic the old version. You'll see 10 when viewing posts, I need to go update it in the other spots as well now from the defaults.

I could also see them all. But now only light and dark 😞, I used medium.

I have to agree with Christilou that it's quite a busy look, especially on a phone. Lots of different shades of grey, dividing lines in grey, blue and orange, arrows both pointing to the poster's name and just randomly up for quotes, "new"/share/bookmark/post number indicators at the top of each post, an overlay on each one of the featured threads images on the front page... It's information overload for me, and it does feel a bit aged, I'm sorry to say.

Back