Fuji nice compact 24 or 28

kevistopheles

Top Veteran
I have a few 24 and 28 lenses that I have been using. I find that 24/28 is a particularly nice match with an APS-C sensor camera as you get 36/42 EFL. I have a few favorite 24/28 lenses like the Rokkor 24/2.8, Hexanon 24/2.8 and Vivitar 28/2 but my recent experience with the Konica 40 has made me really appreciate a really compact lens on the XE1. Any suggestions? Right now I'm leaning toward a Super Takumar 28/3.8 or perhaps an Olympus 28/3.5 but I'm open to suggestions.

No doubt it's more money - even used - than the lenses you've listed but I find the Fuji 27mm f/2.8 pancake works very nicely on all of Fuji's APS-C X bodies. The only drawback is, because it's a pancake, there's no aperture ring. You adjust aperture on the body.

Pentax/Pro Master 28mm 2.8 is the size you are looking for. I have it and the Vivitar 28mm f2. The Pentax is a lot smaller/lighter, with excellent image quality. The RIcoh 50mm f2 in Pentax mount is the same size. Also very nice image quality.

Compact native is the 27, as has been said.

For compact high quality legacy 28mms look at rangefinder lenses from Leica (Elmarit) M mount Voigtlander LTM and M and Minolta M for CLE.

No doubt it's more money - even used - than the lenses you've listed but I find the Fuji 27mm f/2.8 pancake works very nicely on all of Fuji's APS-C X bodies. The only drawback is, because it's a pancake, there's no aperture ring. You adjust aperture on the body.

Out of budget but it is a terrific lens...perhaps another time

3d party compact/pancake? What are you talking about, guys? An adapter doubles the size! Better buy a 3d part "normal" lens with wide aperture. BTW, Fujinon 27/2.8 with 7 blades is great one: sharp, no flare, really compact, solid built, small (i.e. cheaper) 39mm filter, very fast.

3d party compact/pancake? What are you talking about, guys? An adapter doubles the size! Better buy a 3d part "normal" lens with wide aperture. BTW, Fujinon 27/2.8 with 7 blades is great one: sharp, no flare, really compact, solid built, small (i.e. cheaper) 39mm filter, very fast.

I'm looking for suggestions for a legacy 24/28. I have a Konica 40 and even with the adapter it is still pretty compact (and light) and I find that I quite like that. FWIW I really do prefer old manual focus lenses to native stuff (despite really thinking the Fuji native stuff is pretty sweet).

Okay. well that was easy. I picked up an Olympus 28/3.5 in new condition for $18 (the adapter is gonna cost me more). Set that baby on f5.6 or f8 and go nuts. I had an Olympus 28/2.8 years ago and I liked it well enough bit it was a bit long EFL as I was using m43 at the time. I really like the EFL on APS-C cameras based on my Vivitar 28/2. I have also heard that the single coated 28/3.5 does a nice job with BW which I tend to do a lot of. For under $20 I really don't room to complain.

Yashica 28 mm f2.8 ml is a terrific lens, almost as good as zeiss at a fraction of cost. Worth giving it a try no doubt. About compactness,well, it's a 35 mm lens of standard size.

Yashica 28 mm f2.8 ml is a terrific lens, almost as good as zeiss at a fraction of cost. Worth giving it a try no doubt. About compactness,well, it's a 35 mm lens of standard size.

That's a great suggestion. I've always wondered about Yashica lenses. As far as compact goes, there's SLR compact and RF compact. While I do appreciate how compact RF lenses are I find I don't look at them as much because I tend to like close focus ability in a lens (which RF lenses are usually not great at) and sometimes they're just too small for me to use comfortably. The OM 28/3.5 that I picked up is remarkably compact yet still big enough to be comfortable to me.

Back