Micro 4/3 Nice Lens but .....

Recently rented an Olympus 12-45 f4 Pro and in comparison to my excellent Lumix 12-60 f3.5-5.6 the Oly produces images that are a bit better overall ...... just a bit. It is a very nice lens, very well made and sized about perfect. But, in comparison, I'm having great difficulty in accepting the significant price difference. Maybe in the future when many more hit the used market, or when new ones are discounted appropriately will I consider purchasing one. ;)
GX9withOly12-45.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Last edited:
I'm glad you rented one and gave us that report. Saved me about $150, because I've been considering renting one myself. I've owned both the Lumix 12-60 f3.5-5.6 and the PL 12-60 f2.8-4. Both quite good lenses, although the PL 12-60 is pretty hefty for a small camera. I ended up selling mine for what I had in it for that reason, but the IQ was excellent.

I bought that lens; I agree the price can be considered high, but it's the equal of its bigger brother, the 12-40mm f/2.8 in terms of IQ overall, and it beats that lens on the long end optically, which is quite a feat, considering that it's noticeably smaller and lighter. I love using it on the E-M5 III (whereas the 12-40mm, good as it is, feels a tad too bulky); shooting it on the GX9 is on my list. Best acquisition in :mu43: land for quite a while in my case. But of course, if you can't justify it, the Panasonic 12-32mm is diminuitive and punches way above its weight ... Truth is, the three lenses zooms mentioned in this post make the :mu43: system for me - small for what they are, optically superb in their respective class. But the 12-45mm f/4 is the most versatile of the three - not only because of the range, but also because its size is just right. Of course, YMMV ...

M.

I plan on getting one, but the way things currently are, I'll probably wait until they start appearing on resale / refurb / sale. I have no real issue with the price, it's just that I also have no REAL need for it right now.

I plan on getting one, but the way things currently are, I'll probably wait until they start appearing on resale / refurb / sale. I have no real issue with the price, it's just that I also have no REAL need for it right now.
I finally decided to spring for a proper drum sander for my projects, which neatly eats up all of my lens money. Maybe some day when the 12-45 drops in price significantly.

Back