Nifty Fifty

drd1135

Zen Snapshooter
Name
Steve
Canon has posted prices for new RF lenses, and the nifty fifty is only $199:
Good for them. That suddenly makes the RF body a more attractive proposition.

Definitely. According to comments on rumor websites it lacks weather sealing, which is a shame, but other than that, the combination of pretty fast 50mm, small size and low price suddenly makes the entire Canon R system more attractive, since there's now an 'always with you' lens.

That's what already baffled me about the RF 35mm f/1.8 IS STM Macro: no weather resistance. This lens would make one heck of a carry-around - but not in harsh conditions.

Canon is on a roll - but somewhat inconsequential in my view (or too consequential in keeping every desirable option reserved for their top-of-the-line glass). As much as I like many of the things Canon has brought out (a 35mm f/1.8 Macro lens with I.S. that's small and light *and* has good IQ ... Wow, just wow!), I'd rather have the peace of mind offered by Nikon's Z system. And that's what I'm going to stick with. That said, I'm really looking forward to smaller primes - 2021, maybe? I sure hope so. The Z 35mm f/1.8 isn't big as such, but much, much bigger than Canon's (and Sony's) 35mm f/1.8 primes; the Canon being the overall champion in that field - but for sealing ...

There are some merits of going affordable and compact - as always. And it seems Canon is going to give Sony, of all brands, a run for their money. Good for them.

It's raining here - and quite a bit, too. I'll head out for a spell (ha!), carrying ... well, the Olympus E-M5 III ;)

M.

Agreed with the comments above. The 50 1.8 will be a great addition to the Canon RF lineup.

If one was a novice with a limited budget and asked me for a FF recommendation, I’d guide them to Canon. The RP 24-105 bundle with this new 50mm is a very attractive and economic option. Add a little godox TT350 for indoor TTL lighting for that slower zoom, and you’d have a versatile FF kit for less than $1300.

That was always the point of the 50. They were almost always good lenses and reasonably fast at a low price point. Much of my film photography was done with the Pentax FA50 1.4. I also had the old M50 1.7 and the M50 macro. Sadly, the digital crop made them all the wrong FOV. I never did buy the FA35. The equivalent lens came back with the Olympus 25 1.8.

I struggle with smaller gear. I honestly quite like the size of the Nikon z primes in 35 & 50 mm field of views.

I need something to hold on to with my sizable mitts.

When ultimate in convenience is not needed, I’d rather have a bigger prime anytime.

To each their own. I’m still curious about the pancake primes Nikon has listed on the roadmap. Is not for me, really just to see what they can do with the Z mount.

Last edited:
It’s always that trade off. I like the feel of a bigger camera, but I like to carry the smaller one. :rolleyes-74: Since much of my photography occurs while I am primarily doing something else, e.g., walking between classes or going to the zoo with my family, small usually wins.

It's a bit of bummer that the only camera the new fifty would really create a small package on is the RP - so, no I.B.I.S. ...

Anyhow, the lens fits the bill for a nifty fifty like nothing else we've seen for mirrorless FF. I also like the fact that it focuses down to 0.3m - neat for a 50mm, regardless of size and price.

M.

It's a bit of bummer that the only camera the new fifty would really create a small package on is the RP - so, no I.B.I.S. ...

Anyhow, the lens fits the bill for a nifty fifty like nothing else we've seen for mirrorless FF. I also like the fact that it focuses down to 0.3m - neat for a 50mm, regardless of size and price.

M.
No Ibis isn’t the end of the world in my opinion, in fact part of the reason I went from m43 to Fuji was to wean myself off the dependency of it. I’m glad I did as I reckon it improved me technically.

No Ibis isn’t the end of the world in my opinion, in fact part of the reason I went from m43 to Fuji was to wean myself off the dependency of it. I’m glad I did as I reckon it improved me technically.

I think the marketing in the VR & IBIS have given people a false sense of security with its capability. I quite like having it, but a “need” is very rare for me.

If I’m shouting stills in low light, great to have. If in shooting sports, then I don’t need stabilization as my shutter speeds are high enough that it doesn’t require it.

Even in low light, if i have a moving subject, the stabilization doesn’t help me.

It’s a matter of education and not falling for the magic bullet from the marketing department.

We all fall victim to it from time to time. I learned my lesson on believing in it when I got burned by Olympus on the promises of the em1 mark II.

I think Canon has laid down a nice foundation for the "affordable FF" system.

An RP.2 with the 5D4 sensor. Add budget RFs in 24, 40 pancake and 70-300.
Third part support. And adaptable EF.

Sony's A7C is cool but the A7B had better come out soon.

I think Canon has laid down a nice foundation for the "affordable FF" system.

An RP.2 with the 5D4 sensor. Add budget RFs in 24, 40 pancake and 70-300.
Third part support. And adaptable EF.

Sony's A7C is cool but the A7B had better come out soon.
I'm not arguing with you, I am curious what things you want changed about the A7C or Sony's lenses in the hypothetical A7B.

For me the cool, compact feature holds too much of a premium and the C should've been the B.

Sale pricing right now on an A7Rii is $1298(cheaper than the 7ii). A7iii is $1698 - $100 cheaper than the C.
It's not a new tech FF for $1299 but still ticks many boxes.
I guess Sony doesn't need a B.

Maybe if there's enough success in the RP/RP.2 it will create a new category for FE and Z. Maybe not.

For me the cool, compact feature holds too much of a premium and the C should've been the B.

Sale pricing right now on an A7Rii is $1298(cheaper than the 7ii). A7iii is $1698 - $100 cheaper than the C.
It's not a new tech FF for $1299 but still ticks many boxes.
I guess Sony doesn't need a B.

Maybe if there's enough success in the RP/RP.2 it will create a new category for FE and Z. Maybe not.
Got it. You really don't care about a compact body, you want an updated entry level body. I agree with that.

That's what already baffled me about the RF 35mm f/1.8 IS STM Macro: no weather resistance. This lens would make one heck of a carry-around - but not in harsh conditions.

Canon is on a roll - but somewhat inconsequential in my view (or too consequential in keeping every desirable option reserved for their top-of-the-line glass). As much as I like many of the things Canon has brought out (a 35mm f/1.8 Macro lens with I.S. that's small and light *and* has good IQ ... Wow, just wow!), I'd rather have the peace of mind offered by Nikon's Z system. And that's what I'm going to stick with. That said, I'm really looking forward to smaller primes - 2021, maybe? I sure hope so. The Z 35mm f/1.8 isn't big as such, but much, much bigger than Canon's (and Sony's) 35mm f/1.8 primes; the Canon being the overall champion in that field - but for sealing ...

There are some merits of going affordable and compact - as always. And it seems Canon is going to give Sony, of all brands, a run for their money. Good for them.

It's raining here - and quite a bit, too. I'll head out for a spell (ha!), carrying ... well, the Olympus E-M5 III ;)

M.
Looking forward to the 28mm on the z mount

Back