NIGHT SHIFT

pictogramax

All-Pro
I have been working a lot lately, but keeping in line with my deadlines so after a days work is done, I treated myself with short outings by the rivers, looking to bag some long exposures. Shot these with Sony RX100 and Panasonic G3, mounted on tripod. As I suffer from "panovision" for sometime now, you'll have to bear it with me :)

full.jpg

full.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

full.jpg

full.jpg

full.jpg

full.jpg

full.jpg

All images of Belgrade. Feel free to add your night photos if you wish.

What Luke said!

What lovely, intriguing images . . . you are, indeed, "the nightstalker."

Come on, give: are these in-camera panos created by panning on the tripod or did you stitch separate exposures together? Was there a lot of post-processing?

Cheers, Jock

Thanks everybody for your kind comments!

It really is kinda therapeutic to wander the riversides after day's work, just enjoying the scenery and thinking of nothing except composition and duration of exposures :)

All of these images are composites, panos made from 2 (the last one) to even 8 (#5 for example) and ranging from 4 up to 30 seconds. All shot at f8 to have sufficient DOF and detail.
I actually prefer shooting at sundown (again the last one) as it is gives the results richer in color and plays along nicely on deep blue sky and warm city lights that start to emerge. But I am rarely free at these moments and usually forced to work later in pitch black. To remedy this I usually push the parts of images to pure black in order to keep the highlights (#4 and #5 being the typical examples).

I shoot and stitch the images manually, convert them from RAW to my taste and then crop to (my now standard "panovision") 2:1 or 3:1 ratio. Then molest it a (fair) bit in PP to enforce the mood I'm after (#4 is pretty much as it was out of camera with just a bit of contrast added, but #1 I deliberately pushed towards violet as I feel it enhanced the atmosphere of the shot).

And that's about it. It's not like I can say a lot as I don't really know what I'm doing - just exploring and having fun along the way :) Sometimes I get a keeper (like these featured in this thread), many times I delete the files after seeing them on computer screen as it turns out I missed the balance of composition while shooting as I didn't see some cables or other parts in the dark...

Special thanks to Jock for participating - feel free to do the same. Maybe I just failed to find it, but I don't think we have a dedicated night photography thread. If that is the case, this could be the start of one :)

Last edited:
Always beautiful pano's... no apologies necessary! I love the deep blues and indigos in these images.. the stars around those lights and ohhh those reflections. Feel free to 'burden' us again. Nicely done!

I like the idea of a dedicated night thread, and night shift seems to be a really excellent title. I had not posted before because one doesnt like to barge in on other people's threads without an invitation... but you issued one, so there we are. I think there will be more. Thanks, Milan :)

I'm really glad that images are starting to arrive and various flavors of darkness are nesting here. Three images, three completely different atmospheres. Keep them coming!

Here are two from tonight's outing; it's starting to get cold here and I was shivering toward the end of the session. Still have to process some images, but I'll call it a night for now :)

full.jpg

full.jpg

Back