Nik collection = free

Dang, Luke... I never thought of that :-D
I haven't used Niks Denoise in years. I'm using Topaz Denoise now - doing selective noise reduction via painted PS layermasks when I need it.
But the Upoint thing could be a nice timesaver... Will give that a try sometime!

I rarely am bothered by noise anymore....unless I'm way up in the stratospheric ISO range.... and even then I just live with it. Now that I'm reminding myself (and you) about it, I may apply it to shadow regions. Also, out of focus areas that are really noisy can be bothersome, but if you denoise the whole image, you lost all the detail of the in focus area. But that is likely just me projecting my own personal tastes.

I rarely am bothered by noise anymore....unless I'm way up in the stratospheric ISO range.... and even then I just live with it. Now that I'm reminding myself (and you) about it, I may apply it to shadow regions. Also, out of focus areas that are really noisy can be bothersome, but if you denoise the whole image, you lost all the detail of the in focus area. But that is likely just me projecting my own personal tastes.

That's one main use for it anyway (-> selectively hitting out of focus areas).
And High Iso noise...
I guess most of the time the raw-converters or jpg-engines do a good enough job at denoising.
But with m43 every little bit helps sometimes. So I'm lately setting the denoising and sharpening in Capture One to zero and doing that in Photoshop as a final step.

Probably a bit over the top, but I can see the difference. Capture One's default settings are just a bit too strong.
I'm tending to gentler denoising and very little/selective sharpening these days.
(My Topaz denoise setting never goes over 0.10, usually around 0.04.)
</OCD>
:)

I got the Nik set several years ago but last year I got the OnOne collection and prefer using that over the Nik stuff. The thing that really sets Nik apart are the point controls which can be really handy. It's a shame that Google hasn't done anything with the Nik collection though.

Back