Fuji Nik Silver Efex Pro 2 processing example

Tdp

All-Pro
Here is an example of how I use Nik SE 2 for processing B&W images with minimum fuss. It comes down to a few simple steps:

1. Import your photo (my example is via LR4) and do basic edits. I hit "auto" under the Tone section, that often times makes the image close enough to middle of the road to work with. I do no other edits.

2. Then I tell LR to edit the photo in SE 2, this makes a tiff copy of the image which it opens in SE.

3. I keep the conversion as neutral (left side), on the right side under film types I click on the drop down arrow for neutral and pick a film type. I have a few go-to types I like, this example I picked Fuji Neopan 100

4. Back in the right hand column at the top under Global Adjustments I often add structure and sometimes adjust brightness.

5. Save the file, it pops you back into LR then export to the specs you like.

That is all there is to it. Maybe I'm cutting corners or cheating a bit but I like the results so why not? Here are some screen caps and the final image.

- tdp

8657199033_12bd21fd6a_b.jpg

1 by Photos By 夏天, on Flickr

8658306154_536771bf8a_b.jpg

2 by Photos By 夏天, on Flickr

8657199303_c62c085374_b.jpg

3 by Photos By 夏天, on Flickr

8658306498_cb12df21bb_z.jpg

4 by Photos By 夏天, on Flickr

8658307232_b672b7a2f5_b.jpg

Head To Head by Photos By 夏天, on Flickr

Thanks! I never would have found them otherwise. I wondered that there didn't seem to be much to Silver Efex :doh:

Wherever you see a right pointing arrow in the left margin of that right-hand panel, click it and it will reveal entires worlds of controls to you. There is SO MUCH to Silver Efex Pro. And its relatively easy to get on top of it, once you start playing around with the options.

-Ray

Similar workflow to what I use. I usually make most of my adjustments in LightRoom first as if it were a color shot before exporting it to Silver Efex, which usually means exposure, contrast, clarity etc.

When it comes to SFEX, I have found over time my tastes have boiled down to 2 slightly modified presets I use as a base ("Fine Art" and "Neutral"). I have each one of those with just the tiniest smidge of grain added saved as a custom preset, and use the Fine Art as my default for everything unless it's something that needs a softer look closer to Neutral.

From there I will often adjust vignetting and/or brightness - often I like to use vignette but turn up the global brightness to offset darkening of the frame while eliminating distracting corners & edges. Occasionally I adjust contrast, usually to reduce a smidge to lighten up an image. Structure I will leave alone unless it's something that looks either too finely detailed/crispy, in which case I will bring it down a bit, or if it's something with a lot of detail and texture I may crank up the Structure to emphasize.

I very rarely use the film types anymore but I will have to give them another try not that you've mentioned it. There are some really nice ones in there, though I prefer less grain than a lot of them add by default.

Here's a couple from this weekend of mine processed using this workflow:

8649826743_b5d1814ecc_c.jpg

For Whom? by jloden, on Flickr

8650622530_3f4ed8fbbe_c.jpg

Silo by jloden, on Flickr

Here's one where I softened the structure and contrast a bit to keep my wife's skin looking more natural:

8649529957_12a6933352_c.jpg

Parasol by jloden, on Flickr

And one where I used the same workflow, with the only difference being I've chosen a sepia toning instead of the default neutral tone.

8649825975_6ecf545cd1_c.jpg

Olde Boots by jloden, on Flickr

Thought I would give it a try, shot this one this morning after late April snow here in Colorado

View attachment 1514

Attachments

• John Otto statue with snow b&w (1 of 1).jpg
    John Otto statue with snow b&w (1 of 1).jpg
    394 KB · Views: 333
Not a day goes by that I do not think to myself "nothing brings out the snot of a child like a good B&W film simulation" :)

Just picked up the program and I'm going to go through these workflow options tonight when I get home. Thanks so much for all these tips!

just tried out this workflow and was fairly happy with my first result. Used an artistic filter to bring out a lot of structure. Looking at it now I should have played with the sliders a bit more so his arms don't look so....bronzed.

8739544419_0ea286008a_b.jpg

Day 14 - Need by dacalac, on Flickr

Back