Leica Nikkor 50/2 H,C LTM

Paxnobiscum

Regular
Name
Petur Thorsteinsson
It's a well known fact that you can never have to many 50mm lenses. I've recently become a bit obsessed with the Nikkor 5cm/2 H.C, rigid, in LTM and would highly appreciate all information regarding that lens. I was told, on another website, that it's very prone to getting oil on the blades. Is that a known problem of this type of lenses, above other types? What else to look for before buying? According to Photosyntesis.co.nz, the internal construction didn't change from 1950-1962, they are all Sonnar-types, aren't they? Any known difference in the quality of the glass used over the period of production? Does someone have some photos from the lens to show.

With thanks in advance

Petur, Iceland

Oil on the blades- no worse than any other lens of this generation, about average- less than the pre-war Zeiss Sonnars and much less than the Canons. The Nikkor lenses are hard coated, and the coatings/glass do NOT react badly to oil and hazing. The later generation Canon lenses- will destroy the glass.

The Nikkor is based on the classic 6-element in 3-group Sonnar, but is a unique formulation. The coatings may have been tweeked throughout the run, but performance between the early collapsible lenses and latest black-rim is equal.

attached- 5cm F2 Nikkor-HC, late version, wide-open on the Leica M8. I'll take this lens out on the M Monochrome today.

Back from the Museum- we had a great day.

Shots here are wide-open, at F2 on the M Monochrom, Skylight filter used.

Attachments

• shuttle_f2.jpg
    shuttle_f2.jpg
    180.7 KB · Views: 658
  • SR71_F2.jpg
    SR71_F2.jpg
    103.7 KB · Views: 656
  • F105_F2.jpg
    F105_F2.jpg
    134.7 KB · Views: 637
  • F100_F2.jpg
    F100_F2.jpg
    91.1 KB · Views: 677
  • F86_F2.jpg
    F86_F2.jpg
    131.3 KB · Views: 646
  • F86_2_f2.jpg
    F86_2_f2.jpg
    122.3 KB · Views: 672
  • WW1_Front_f2.jpg
    WW1_Front_f2.jpg
    133.6 KB · Views: 666
  • biplane_f2.jpg
    biplane_f2.jpg
    143.3 KB · Views: 644
Last edited:
Can't leave out the T-33 Shooting Star... One was on Columbo last night, Patrick McGoohan -who did it- had a picture of one in his study, and helped Columbo break the case. Leslie Nielson was also in it, the Victim.

Attachments

• T33_shootingstar_F2.jpg
    T33_shootingstar_F2.jpg
    151.2 KB · Views: 592
To sum up- focus is perfect on the M Monochrom, Bokeh is smoother than the F1.4 and F1.5 versions of the Nikkor 5cm. Minimum focus is to 18" for the rigid version. The collapsible has the same optics, but focus is to 3ft. The "look" is very similar to the pre-war Zeiss 5cm f2 Sonnar, but color rendition is different. Which I'll show on the M9 some other day.

Thanks a lot Brian. The 5cm/2 H.C is obviously a great Sonnar, beautifully demonstrated by your shots. One more excellent portrait lens with elegant bokeh. I'm flabbergasted by it's close focus range of 18" - did you modify it to reach such a short MFD? Does it lose the RF coupling at some point? I must admit that my GAS is flaming after studying your shots with the MM - and look forward to see how it performs in color on the M9.

All the best and thanks again

Petur

The Leica mount Nikkor Rigid 5cm F1.5, F1.4, and F2 all focus to 18"- but lose RF coupling at about 1m. You can file the threads down a bit to maintain focus to 0.65m on the Leica, but I have not done it on this one. - It's just too mine, mint condition. I did this on another one that I've had, worked beautifully.

I have been looking for the Nikkor 50/2 LTM and have got one interesting offer. It's an early NKJ copy in good shape, with a click-stop less aperture ring. Now I would like to ask when, and if ever, Nikon introduced aperture clicks to this type of lenses during their lifetime? I actually like to have click stops but don't exclude a good copy at fair price, even though it's click less. I can't find any info regarding this on the web, even not after a quite intensive search,

What is the serial Number? The first few digits will do. Early versions of the rigid started with "5008", later changed the numbering system and went to "61".

The lens in case has a serial number starting with 623xxx. I guess it's similar to the one I'm watching at brooklyncamera (621xxx) - but with a slight oil on the blades and less expensive.

My 61xxxx Leica mount lens does not have click-stops either. The late one does- Sometime adter the 62 block, construction changed and I guess the click-stop was introduced. My regular user is a very late 74 block, with the Black aperture scale. Clock-stops on it.

Can't leave out the T-33 Shooting Star... One was on Columbo last night, Patrick McGoohan -who did it- had a picture of one in his study, and helped Columbo break the case. Leslie Nielson was also in it, the Victim.

Beautiful image! It's a lot harder than it looks to photograph a polished airplane. In some respects its like photographing a mirror. Nicely done!

Ed B.

Back