Nikon Showcase Nikon AF Nikkor 28-85mm f3.5-4.5

Coksic

All-Pro
Name
Mladen Čoko
Grad D90 (457).jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

_DSC6481.jpg

_DSC6469.jpg

Grad D90 (401).jpg

Last edited:
Beautiful pictures. The third image of the men in the boat really leaps out- the clarity of color of the men and the boat against a hazy background is hard to capture.

I always liked this lens- first one traded with an N8008 for a Nikon RF that the owner was told my the camera shop- it's too old to be worth anything. That was over 20 years ago. Second one- picked up cheap, and gave it to a student.

Reminds me to look on Ebay for another one for my Df.
Edit- Found a 28~105 AF-D on Ebay at a good price, remembered that last vacation wished I had one of these. The 105 on the Df will be a bit closer to the 85mm focal length on the D90 that you used you the picture of the boat. I paid over $400 for the first 28~85 Af-Nikkor for my N8008, almost 30 years ago.

Last edited:
Beautiful pictures. The third image of the men in the boat really leaps out- the clarity of color of the men and the boat against a hazy background is hard to capture.

I always liked this lens- first one traded with an N8008 for a Nikon RF that the owner was told my the camera shop- it's too old to be worth anything. That was over 20 years ago. Second one- picked up cheap, and gave it to a student.

Reminds me to look on Ebay for another one for my Df.
Edit- Found a 28~105 AF-D on Ebay at a good price, remembered that last vacation wished I had one of these. The 105 on the Df will be a bit closer to the 85mm focal length on the D90 that you used you the picture of the boat. I paid over $400 for the first 28~85 Af-Nikkor for my N8008, almost 30 years ago.

Thank you, Brian! I got mine for 50 Euros. It is more than reasonably sharp for a zoom lens of that time. It is also quirky, giving me problems with focusing, sometimes. Especially at 28mm. I have to turn the zoom ring to ''macro'' to be able to focus at 28mm. I don't know if this is the problem with my copy or if it's universal..
I was actually looking for that 28-105mm for a long time. But now, it makes no sense, since I've got this one.
I'm glad you liked the photos. Cheers!

It is also quirky, giving me problems with focusing, sometimes. Especially at 28mm. I have to turn the zoom ring to ''macro'' to be able to focus at 28mm.

I don't remember my copy doing that- but wide-angle lenses give Autofocus a hard time in general. I typically zoom in, focus, hold the focus, then zoom out.

I recently picked up a minty used copy of this lens for $40 USD. It's a clanky lens from the 80s and I'm pretty sure I was in 2nd grade when it was released! :D The serial number on my lens dates it to one of the last production runs before they stopped making it. On an FF camera: it has terrible minimum focus, vignetting at it's widest FL and there are better lenses on the market. Saying that, this sucker is sharp and it's quick to focus. It's a Nikon classic!

A couple samples with the 28-85mm + D750:
50212626667_aeac5c50db_h.jpg

Test samples with the Nikon Nikkor 28-85mm f/3.5-4.5 AF Lens (Late Model). During the 2020 COVID-19 Global Pandemic.
by Jonathan Friolo, on Flickr

50211837443_898a1bf5a4_h.jpg

Test samples with the Nikon Nikkor 28-85mm f/3.5-4.5 AF Lens (Late Model). During the 2020 COVID-19 Global Pandemic.

50200930638_163c993b21_h.jpg

Test samples with the Nikon Nikkor 28-85mm f/3.5-4.5 AF Lens (Late Model). Purchased for $40 USD.

50211834653_df0d8ef8e6_h.jpg

50211835233_04f116ca52_h.jpg

On an FF camera: it has terrible minimum focus
I thought at first that this was a problem with my copy, but it seems to be this way by design! It just doesn't pick up the target, sometimes even when the subject is pretty far away. It's definitely a quirky lens, but I love it! When it catches focus, it rivals some primes of that time. Like you said, it's a classic!

I thought at first that this was a problem with my copy, but it seems to be this way by design! It just doesn't pick up the target, sometimes even when the subject is pretty far away. It's definitely a quirky lens, but I love it! When it catches focus, it rivals some primes of that time. Like you said, it's a classic!

Stopped down it gets ridiculously sharp, making it very good for things like studio or strobe photography. My copy focuses quickly on the D750, probably due to the more advance focus system. I could only imagine how well it would do on something like the D780 or even a D500. The D850 might be pushing the lens too hard though!

Still with the same copy, with front lens element so scratched, that I'm amazed this lens churns out a single discernable pixel. Yet, I keep putting this lens back on my camera.
DSC_6783.jpg

DSC_5867.jpg

DSC_3989.jpg

DSC_3895.jpg

DSC_3446.jpg

DSC_1775-Pano.jpg

Back