Nikon Showcase Nikkor AF 35mm F/2D

Matero

Hall of Famer
And the latest acquisition, Nikkor AF 35mm F/2D, and one of the very first images with it. What say you?

74FC4298-895C-4020-AE1C-2C9AC3CFBEE3.jpeg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

I call this a great lens because you don't have to do any PP, it just does its thing. A lens rendering like this on a rangefinder would be very expensive, yet I often see it for $100 to $200 on eBay (bit of a "plastic fantastic" you see). I was going to use it as part of the January 20/20 thread but didn't as there wasn't much of a challenge, it's going to render great every time.

DSC_0308 copy cameraderie.jpg

DSC_0310 copy cameraderie.jpg

DSC_0311 copy cameraderie.jpg

Last edited:
Should I believe my eyes, or is it a bit soft wide open and remarkably sharper already 2.8?

At least I thought so looking my pictures and now Antonio’s pictures seem to reproduce that.
The photo of the young lady has a fair amount of skin smoothing applied in post. You should not judge sharpness based on that photo. The photo of the gentleman may have a bit of noise reduction applied to it as well. Having said that, it may very well be the case that it is softer at F2.0. I simply have never checked.

Regards,

Antonio

The photo of the young lady has a fair amount of skin smoothing applied in post. You should not judge sharpness based on that photo. The photo of the gentleman may have a bit of noise reduction applied to it as well. Having said that, it may very well be the case that it is softer at F2.0. I simply have never checked.

Regards,

Antonio

Yes, I’ve found that fully open it is a bit soft but closing just one click make it remarkable sharper. Very nice lens altogether.

Back