Micro 4/3 Nikon 1 Mirrorless camera announced - M43 can rest easy

wolfie

Veteran
Tiny sensor and big price ($900 US)

Nikon_V1_BK-001.jpg

Somehow when there is a global recession, with a second dip predicted, I would not see this being a value for money purchase ... maybe they used the Pentax Q marketing team as design consultants :D

But on the plus, they did work in an internal EVF

V1_back.jpg

Nice attempt

I'm up late this evening/morning(cst) and saw this and was thinking I was halucinating. It's a nice attempt, I think.

Given the size and price similarity to M43 and Sony NEX cameras, I'm surprised they didnt go for similar sensor. All they'd need to launch with would be a fast prime, a wide and a tele zoom and they would have sold plenty on the Nikon reputation all by itself.

I dare say it that in good daylight at base ISO these Nikon CSCs will deliver results comparable to a G10, LX5, XZ1, S95, GRD. But honestly - I really can't see how someone made a credible business case for such a small format at such a high price.
And then there's buying the lenses on top on that initial set up!:confused:

If I'm not mistaken this V1 doesn't even have a pop-up flash and the available accessory flash is way too large to keep on the camera at all times (unlike the NEX flash)... add to that the fact that it isn't all that small and doesn't really have a big sensor or fast lenses, nor other USP's like rotating screen, lots of manual control or proper wide angle lenses, and I'm thoroughly disappointed. Quick hybrid AF, high fps and a max shutter speed of 1/16000 are nice but don't cut it for me.

They have some features aimed at compact camera upgraders such as simultaneous movie and photo making (which is admittedly nice), but other manufacturers have features that are probably equally appealing to P&S upgraders such as prettier looks, smaller size, and simply a larger sensor.
The only thing that I see that is truly new is Motion Snapshot, which seems to be a sort of Harry Potter-like photo that has some limited slow-motion movement (and sound), it would be neat to incorporate this into one of those digital photoframes, but it's obviously useless for printing.

Nikon will have to rely very heavily on their brand name, because to P&S users I don't see it as sufficiently different from or better than the competition to warrant anywhere near its price, and to enthusiasts it simply lacks in just about any area of importance I can think of.

Also their press release is just ridiculously arrogant and blind to reality, even for a bunch of marketing people:
This Nikon 1 system represents a new category of camera that challenges conventional thinking, emphasizing a pocketable form factor with unbelievable speed, combined with the high image quality that only Nikon could create.
as if they're the first ones to think of mirrorless cameras!

When it was just announced, I said to a friend of mine that Micro 4/3 users now finally have something to ridicule because it's the first serious ILC with the sensor smaller than 4/3. Guess I was right.

It's a 1st step in the right direction. Anything in the format will force others to step up the product line. This will sell. The lenses should be the strength of the system as Nikon can make great glass but not always. If they think about this as they did the E System, well nuff said. Let's wait and see how it goes. Dont forget, the launch of the Pen1 was thought of the same way by many.

Canon has a world wide earth shattering announcement coming soon also.

I'm glad that Nikon goes mirrorless. I like what I see (integrated EVF), but I don't like the price tag.
How does size and weight against the competitors?

Firstly, I'm not a Nikon guy. Even if I was, the format chosen for this camera would seem a bit odd to me: neither here nor there. I am a Canon guy. It seems inevitable that Canon has to release a mirrorless camera system of their own. If they come up with something as oddball as this, the decision NOT to buy it and stick with what I've got will be so much easier. My nightmare is a Canon APS-C mirrorless in November.

So now we await Pentax Q, Fuji X10 and the New Nikon 1, when the X10 was announced and a suspected large price tag a few people said I won't buy one at that price, fair enough however the rumoured prices for a lot of new cameras end up much less (thank goodness).
Rule one don't buy on release..give a few months and the price uaually comes down..a bit.
One thing that I don't think anyone has mentioned about the Nikon 1 is the lack of any type of grip..it looks very smooth to me?
But to coin a phrase 'the proof is in the eating' its what the camera can produce, and also whether it will be on screen or printed, then as has happened to me is the Printer up to the job..mine isn't.! which is another issue altogether.

Nikon has shown with the D3s, that they are able to design and produce excellent sensors. This sensor is a Nikon sensor and although it is smaller than µ4/3, it can be equally good or even better due to modern sensor technology. If the lenses are fine, this system will be very fine. I like it.

Nikon has shown with the D3s, that they are able to design and produce excellent sensors. This sensor is a Nikon sensor and although it is smaller than µ4/3, it can be equally good or even better due to modern sensor technology. If the lenses are fine, this system will be very fine. I like it.

I don't, not because of the sensor, but because of its price. For pretty much the same money, I can get the same advanced technology in MFT or APS-C from other manufacturers. And that's an opinion based on the assumption that Nikon's sensor will indeed be cutting edge, which still needs to (and I'm sure will) be proven.

Back