Nikon Nikon 1 review at DPR

I only read the conclusion and agree with the scoring. I'm glad that DP didn't score the system higher simply for being a Nikon. I like the system, see tons of potential, but someone messed up on the auto-ISO logic of the camera. IMO, the bad logic kills the camera for most folks, even casual users, because (unless it's a nice bright day) the user is going to get shutter speeds that are slower than it should be. The alternative is to manually control the ISO or use shutter priority. Casual users aren't going to do that. If Nikon comes up with a firmware update for the auto-ISO logic and some customization of the buttons (or a super control panel), both the J1 and V1 would be exponentially better for both casual users and enthusiasts.

I only read the conclusion and agree with the scoring. I'm glad that DP didn't score the system higher simply for being a Nikon. I like the system, see tons of potential, but someone messed up on the auto-ISO logic of the camera. IMO, the bad logic kills the camera for most folks, even casual users, because (unless it's a nice bright day) the user is going to get shutter speeds that are slower than it should be. The alternative is to manually control the ISO or use shutter priority. Casual users aren't going to do that. If Nikon comes up with a firmware update for the auto-ISO logic and some customization of the buttons (or a super control panel), both the J1 and V1 would be exponentially better for both casual users and enthusiasts.

All they need is a complementary minimum shutter speed setting.

I think for the target audience the J1 is actually more appropriate than the V1 due to the flash. The auto ISO issue should easily be fixable in a firmware update, perhaps the CDAF and a quick menu button too, which would earn the cameras a higher score.

All they need is a complementary minimum shutter speed setting.

That's what Nikon does with the D3100/5100/7000 lineup. But that doesn't help very much if I'm using a zoom lens. Unless I tailor the minimum shutter speed to the longest length of the zoom.

In my humble opinion, Nikon should adopt the usual 1/focal length approach that most other manufacturers use.

I actually got a chance to play with the V1 over the weekend. As with the J1, the focusing is really fast. The LCD is nice and bright. The EVF seems on par with the Olympus VF2. I like the feel of the V1 slightly better than the J1. I actually think the V1 is better balanced with the kit zoom than my E-PL2. Even with the larger grip of the pl2, there feels like there is a good bit of weight on the other side of the camera and toward the lens making it awkward to hold for long periods of time. The weight of the V1 feels like its right at the grip. It just feels dense and balanced. Too bad I'm already invested into a system because the V1 would have been a nice camera I think for me.

Back