Nikon Showcase Nikon 1 Samples

Oooh. Chunky! Didnt it feel a bit unbalanced?

Quite unbalanced. ( :
Even with the lightweight 35 1.8DX.
I had a D7000 and a few of the CX lenses (18.5/10-30) at the same time so the adapted lenses were mainly for kicks.
The 85 1.8G, Sigma 30/50 did make for some nice and unique imagery with their new crop factors.

I actually got a chance to plug the V1 onto one of the Sigma super teles for a few minutes - forgot which one.
Wish I would've kept the image of that.

There's something immensely satisfying shooting with the V1 even though I also have the J5. Not sure what it is, but the raw files I actually find quite malleable. Also the 10-30mm PD VR is the sharpest power zoom I've tried compared to M43 and Sony power assisted kit zooms. Anyways, a couple snaps from yesterday!

Nikon V1 + 10-30mm PD VR:
32092692588_a07a776a63_b.jpg

181119_NIKON_V1_FRIOLO_002
by Jonathan Friolo, on Flickr

44146976500_5ee17243a7_b.jpg

181119_NIKON_V1_FRIOLO_007

45914483082_f6714c4a24_b.jpg

181119_NIKON_V1_FRIOLO_001

I haven't been shooting much lately, but here are a couple snaps with the J5 and V1!

Brought the kids horse carriage riding:
46213348341_5717c2476a_b.jpg

181201_HORSE_CARRIAGE_FRIOLO_002

45489422334_1eb085a090_b.jpg

181201_HORSE_CARRIAGE_FRIOLO_001

45489418714_f9f4e8d25b_b.jpg

181201_HORSE_CARRIAGE_FRIOLO_003

Christmas tree making decorations:
46213345311_ca4de14d9a_b.jpg

181201_HORSE_CARRIAGE_FRIOLO_004

45489415104_8dc9eb069e_b.jpg

181201_HORSE_CARRIAGE_FRIOLO_005

31274166707_f6be658001_b.jpg

181201_HORSE_CARRIAGE_FRIOLO_006

A very good organic grass-fed burger with a side of sweet potato hash and kale salad :D:
31274164117_c134cf1195_b.jpg

181201_HORSE_CARRIAGE_FRIOLO_007

This thread needs some new photos! Shots taken this weekend with the V1 + 10mm + 18.5mm lenses!

48737547818_fcd183bcde_b.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Manhattan Beach, California - USA by Jonathan Friolo, on Flickr

48738064412_d3c49ff318_b.jpg

48738033967_214f91daf5_b.jpg

48737850396_8596737a22_b.jpg

48737529783_a7af0240eb_b.jpg

48737847871_f80d28356f_b.jpg

Last edited:
I think this thread needs some fresh photos! I've been shooting with my Nikon 1 J5 quite a bit lately! Here are some recent photos - ;)

49083389032_347a3b14fc_b.jpg

Shots taken with the Nikon 1 J5 + 10-30mm PD VR Lens by Jonathan Friolo, on Flickr

49082647658_d79a20797d_b.jpg

Shots taken with the Nikon 1 J5 + 10-30mm PD VR Lens by Jonathan Friolo, on Flickr

49130191178_535abfb56a_b.jpg

Photos taken with the Nikon 1 J5 + 10-30 PD VR by Jonathan Friolo, on Flickr

49130815207_5e31cc66cb_b.jpg

Photos taken with the Nikon 1 J5 + 10-30 PD VR by Jonathan Friolo, on Flickr

49136187667_90cfe7352b_b.jpg

Photos taken with the Nikon 1 J5 in DTLA by Jonathan Friolo, on Flickr

49161074368_04e51ed640_b.jpg

Photos taken with the Nikon 1 J5 + 10-30 PD VR and Nikon 50mm 1.8 G Lens by Jonathan Friolo, on Flickr

49161067858_d869e1e86b_b.jpg

Photos taken with the Nikon 1 J5 + 10-30 PD VR and Nikon 50mm 1.8 G Lens by Jonathan Friolo, on Flickr

49161540531_5b46a9e0e1_b.jpg

49161773897_68d4135132_b.jpg

I hang on to my 1 V1 - it was a great little camera in its day (though vastly overpriced - I got it after its shelf life had ended, for a song), and the lenses (10mm as well, but mostly the 18.5mm for me) are nice as well. I prefer other cameras as daily drivers - but that doesn't take away from the fact that I still enjoy shooting the V1 at times, and I use it as my default documentary camera around the house ... (i.e. if I just need a quick shot of something, it's the camera I pick).

M.

I had one briefly earlier this year, but decided not to keep it. I thought m4/3 was a better platform for me.

My brother has a couple of Nikon One's and still loves them. And apparently they still deliver the goods.

I hang on to my 1 V1 - it was a great little camera in its day (though vastly overpriced - I got it after its shelf life had ended, for a song), and the lenses (10mm as well, but mostly the 18.5mm for me) are nice as well. I prefer other cameras as daily drivers - but that doesn't take away from the fact that I still enjoy shooting the V1 at times, and I use it as my default documentary camera around the house ... (i.e. if I just need a quick shot of something, it's the camera I pick).

M.

I actually sold my V1 bodies this year. The J5 to me is the defining Nikon 1 camera. The 20.8mp BSI 1" sensor + OSPDAF makes it one of the best sleeper/budget pocket cameras.

I only wish Nikon did a fast 35mm FOV lens. Also the video, while nothing fancy actually deliver very sharp and contrasty results. The only lenses I keep for it are the 10mm, 18.5mm and 10-30mm PD VR + the FT1 adapter when I feel like adapting my F-mount glass.

@Jonathan F/2
Your daughter is tall now.
And it looks like you've shot up on your bench press.
Do you have a home set up?

Yeah I think sleeping in and eating home cooked meals for 3 months made my daughter shoot up in height! In fact everyone has been telling me she's getting tall! I joke with my wife that as she gets taller, we start to look shorter! :roflmao:

I have a makeshift workout area in my backyard. It's just enough to keep muscle memory active. I have to do like 20+ reps to get a burn. I actually swung by the gym this week just to see how the safety measures are being implemented. My opinion is that LA gyms are a big petri dish of infection. I was surprised how many young people were there with no masks and the gyms safety measures at best are just for show. I didn't even want to take my mask off to drink water. I'll probably put my membership on hold or just cancel it and invest in more home equipment. At least in LA, we have the luxury to be outdoors almost year-round!

More Nikon 1 goodness with the J5 and 10mm 2.8! Again more hiking, that's all we seem to do as a family nowadays! :D

View attachment 226681
Hiking Fiji Hill in Eagle Rock by Occidental College - Los Angeles, California USA - during the 2020 Global Covid-19 Pandemic. by Jonathan Friolo, on Flickr

View attachment 226682
Hiking Fiji Hill in Eagle Rock by Occidental College - Los Angeles, California USA - during the 2020 Global Covid-19 Pandemic. by Jonathan Friolo, on Flickr

View attachment 226683

View attachment 226684

View attachment 226685

View attachment 226687

View attachment 226686
Really nice series, Jonathan! The processing is very appealing, as well.

Nikon really messed up with the 1 Series. The astoundingly high initial prices, pretty much doomed the system from the start. It’s a shame, because there is/was a lot to like and reasonable pricing would have given it a much better chance to develop and succeed.

Nikon really messed up with the 1 Series. The astoundingly high initial prices, pretty much doomed the system from the start. It’s a shame, because there is/was a lot to like and reasonable pricing would have given it a much better chance to develop and succeed.

The 1 Series came out at a time when I believe Nikon had lost its way. The company was still obsessed with protecting its traditional line of full-frame DSLRs even as the photographic world was changing around them. As a result, they crippled almost all of their other products. They also never developed a full line of lenses for their APS-C DSLRs.

The skimpy external controls on most of the 1 series cameras are evidence of Nikon's priorities. And yet, the internals were great and so were the lenses. Evidence that the company was also confused.

And then were were issues with engineering chops, R&D and the priorities of the bean counters... as demonstrated by the formally announced and later-canceled DL cameras.

And, finally, we discovered publicly how much financial trouble Nikon was in.

Nikon still has its DSLRs but as also embraced - even if somewhat grudgingly - mirrorless cameras with the Z6, Z7 and Z50. Time will tell whether they follow through with complete lens line-ups and steady improvements to the cameras.

I hope so. Because I don't think they'll get another chance to save themselves - or at least remain independent. I have no inside information, but my gut tells me we may ultimately only have three major camera companies left in a few years. Canon and Sony are likely to be two of them. The jury is still out as to whether Nikon will be the third.

Really nice series, Jonathan! The processing is very appealing, as well.

The 1 Series came out at a time when I believe Nikon had lost its way. The company was still obsessed with protecting its traditional line of full-frame DSLRs even as the photographic world was changing around them. As a result, they crippled almost all of their other products. They also never developed a full line of lenses for their APS-C DSLRs.

The skimpy external controls on most of the 1 series cameras are evidence of Nikon's priorities. And yet, the internals were great and so were the lenses. Evidence that the company was also confused.

And then were were issues with engineering chops, R&D and the priorities of the bean counters... as demonstrated by the formally announced and later-canceled DL cameras.

And, finally, we discovered publicly how much financial trouble Nikon was in.

Nikon still has its DSLRs but as also embraced - even if somewhat grudgingly - mirrorless cameras with the Z6, Z7 and Z50. Time will tell whether they follow through with complete lens line-ups and steady improvements to the cameras.

I hope so. Because I don't think they'll get another chance to save themselves - or at least remain independent. I have no inside information, but my gut tells me we may ultimately only have three major camera companies left in a few years. Canon and Sony are likely to be two of them. The jury is still out as to whether Nikon will be the third.

I bought the J5 cameras because they were discontinued and the equipment heavily discounted. The Nikon 1 to me was a complete failure. The only reason I bought it was due to the J5 being the cheapest 20.8mp BSI 1" sensor in an ILC body. If I had the cash, I'd buy the latest RX100 camera! Saying that, the J5 is where the Nikon 1 was showing promise, due to the improved sensor and Nikon sorting out their OSPDAF. Also there are times when I miss having a smaller sensor camera, but I didn't feel like reinvesting in M43, but I wanted a few fast/cheap primes and a decent kit zoom. I can also slap on my Nikon F-mount lenses using the FT1 adapter when I want some reach. Honestly I think the best telephoto lens you can get for the FT1 is the 70-200mm f4/ VR. That lens is ridiculously sharp, contrasty and lightweight!

I bought two J5 bodies and I'll shoot them until they break. The J5 cameras are actually shutterless (e-shutter only), so there are really no moving parts. theoretically the bodies should hold up for quite some time. That reminds me I should probably invest in spare batteries!

Last edited:
How does the AF & Burst Rate compare with similar era m43's cameras ?
I occassionally see used ones crop up for sale and I'd be interested in dabbling with the family (the AW1, J5 & V3 seem to be the ones to get). For comparison the best AF camera I have is probably the E-M1 but I still tend to use single-point AF 90% of the time (or centre/manual-focus for adapted lenses and macro).

Back