Nikon Showcase Nikon 1 Samples

How does the AF & Burst Rate compare with similar era m43's cameras ?
I occassionally see used ones crop up for sale and I'd be interested in dabbling with the family (the AW1, J5 & V3 seem to be the ones to get). For comparison the best AF camera I have is probably the E-M1 but I still tend to use single-point AF 90% of the time (or centre/manual-focus for adapted lenses and macro).

For day-to-day snap shots I get a fairly good keeper rate and I believe the OSPDAF plus deeper DOF help in that regards. Though I don't shoot any fast action with my J5. Regarding sensor performance, the J5 has quite a bit of malleability with highlight recovery and high ISO performance.

All other Nikon 1 bodies use a variation of the Aptina sensor, which actually has it's own unique look, but it doesn't do as well at high ISO versus the J5's Sony based sensor.

If you're curious the Nikon 1 system has it's own strengths versus other mirrorless systems. I think the best starter lenses are the 10mm, 18.5mm and 10-30mm PD VR. The 6.7-13mm VR wide angle zoom is my favorite, and the 10-100mm non-PD VR is the smallest super zoom lens you can buy.

Last edited:
For day-to-day snap shots I get a fairly good keeper rate and I believe the OSPDAF plus deeper DOF help in that regards. Though I don't shoot any fast action with my J5. Regarding sensor performance, the J5 has quite a bit of malleability with highlight recovery and high ISO performance.

All other Nikon 1 bodies use a variation of the Aptina sensor, which actually has it's own unique look, but it doesn't do as well at high ISO versus the J5's Sony based sensor.

If you're curious the Nikon 1 system has it's own unique strengths. I think the best starter lenses are the 10mm, 18.5mm and 10-30mm PD VR. The 6.7-13mm VR wide angle zoom is my favorite, and the 10-100mm non-PD VR is the smallest super zoom lens you can buy.

Any issues with the electronic shutter, Jonathan? Any banding when shooting indoors with artificial light?

Any issues with the electronic shutter, Jonathan? Any banding when shooting indoors with artificial light?

Yeah, there's banding. I think the work-around is to use the pop-up flash. I don't think Nikon intended for the J5 to be their "pro" Nikon 1 body, I have a feeling they probably had a V3 follow-up in the pipeline before they axed the whole division.

My dream Nikon 1 body would of been the V1 (build quality and EN-EL15B battery) + V2 (integrated EVF and hot shoe mount) + J5 (20.8mp BSI sensor) combined with 5 axis IBIS. Add in the latest Sony RX100 VII OSPDAF and throw in a fast 13mm 1.8 lens and a fast 6.7mm 2.8 prime VR lens, and you'll have the ultimate pocket ILC camera worthy of legendary status!

I give Olympus credit though, they created an Olympus "God" camera worthy of Zeus himself in the E-M1X before going under. Nikon always holds back a little, instead of going all out (ex: NIkon Df with awesome sensor, but so-so auto focus module OR making the Nikon 50mm f/.95 S lens, but manual focus only). I have a feeling there will be quite a few Olympus collectables. I already see the Pen-F is rising in price!

I give Olympus credit though, they created an Olympus "God" camera worthy of Zeus himself in the E-M1X before going under. Nikon always holds back a little, instead of going all out (ex: NIkon Df with awesome sensor, but so-so auto focus module OR making the Nikon 50mm f/.95 S lens, but manual focus only). I have a feeling there will be quite a few Olympus collectables. I already see the Pen-F is rising in price!

I own two Pen-Fs. I like my silver one so much that I picked up a refurbed black one when Oly had a 20-percent off sale. I'm really not sure what to do with my Oly gear. E-M1 II, E-M1 I, two Pen-F's and a lot of lenses. All of the fast, small primes and almost all of the PRO glass.

Yeah... that's the thing that has always bothered me about Nikon. My brother swears by Nikons -- and they are excellent. But, at the end of the day, if you wanted the best sensor AND autofocus module, they pointed you to one of their traditional (and boat-anchor heavy) full-frame DSLRs. And that's how they got into trouble. They never noticed the world changing around them -- or wouldn't admit it to themselves until the losses threatened their survival.

Its your J5 shots, Jonathan, which have caused me to jump on a refurb J5 just a short time ago. It comes with the 10-30, and of course I already have some other lenses due to earlier purchases of the J1 and V1. I actually like the Aptina sensor, it seems to generate a particular look that appeals to me, but I’m now looking forward to receiving the J5. I wish Nikon had kept on developing these...

Its your J5 shots, Jonathan, which have caused me to jump on a refurb J5 just a short time ago. It comes with the 10-30, and of course I already have some other lenses due to earlier purchases of the J1 and V1. I actually like the Aptina sensor, it seems to generate a particular look that appeals to me, but I’m now looking forward to receiving the J5. I wish Nikon had kept on developing these...

I actually like the Aptina sensor as well. The Sony BSI sensor has more of a modern look, different for sure. Though after weighing the pros and cons I kept my J5 and sold the V1 mainly due to better low light performance and greater dynamic range! Post some photos when you get your new camera!

I actually like the Aptina sensor as well. The Sony BSI sensor has more of a modern look, different for sure. Though after weighing the pros and cons I kept my J5 and sold the V1 mainly due to better low light performance and greater dynamic range! Post some photos when you get your new camera!

LOL I will. I can’t seem to sell cameras, so I hang on until they are dead. Hence, still have both J1 and V1.

Still learning to drive the J5. Its a different experience to the older models. eg I had no idea that the touch screen would actually fire the shot, as opposed to just placing a focus point (I suppose theres a way to get that sorted but this refurb did not come with a manual, so flying blind, so to speak) 10mm lens in use. I’ve put the kit zoom away for a bit.

Aloe in flower.
70C92E90-B618-45A6-BA02-2014371F9F71.jpeg

A couple more from earlier this evening. This time I took the 18.5mm f/1.8 for a spin which I normally neglect! FYI - We've been walking this trail for several months now which is about 2 miles uphill. It's pretty much our daily exercise and on the weekends we tend to tackle bigger hikes!

All shot with the J5 + 18.5mm f/1.8:
50165213351_c138bd996b_h.jpg

Walking around Eagle Rock - Los Angeles, California USA - during the 2020 Global Covid-19 Pandemic.
by Jonathan Friolo, on Flickr

50164670958_099bed2dc0_h.jpg

Walking around Eagle Rock - Los Angeles, California USA - during the 2020 Global Covid-19 Pandemic.

50164671133_c557130feb_h.jpg

50165214886_4193d6df8c_h.jpg

A couple more from earlier this evening. This time I took the 18.5mm f/1.8 for a spin which I normally neglect! FYI - We've been walking this trail for several months now which is about 2 miles uphill. It's pretty much our daily exercise and on the weekends we tend to tackle bigger hikes!

All shot with the J5 + 18.5mm f/1.8:
Those are all good, but that last one is my favorite. I always like the processing of your images. Almost makes me want to get a J5 + 10mm . . . almost. I think I'd be sleeping in the garage if I got another camera!

Those are all good, but that last one is my favorite. I always like the processing of your images. Almost makes me want to get a J5 + 10mm . . . almost. I think I'd be sleeping in the garage if I got another camera!

I just checked what J5 bodies are going for...no way would I pay those prices! I was lucky to buy my cameras when they were on fire sale. I only carry the J5 around when I'm too lazy to carry my FF bodies. For what J5 bodies are selling for (currently) you can get a RX100, Canon G9X or Panasonic ZS100 with the same 1" sensor for less than $400 USD!

A couple new ones with the J5 and 10mm f/2.8 lens! The 10mm f/2.8 is fun due to being a pancake and it's ridiculous close focus. It's like the 1" version of the classic Nikon Nikkor 28mm f/2.8 AI-S lens. Nikon 1 FOREVER! :D

50635413003_3e338ab7f9_b.jpg

Griffith Park Bike Ride - Los Angeles, California USA

50636235502_1084ab07be_b.jpg

50636233687_7be90e67ed_b.jpg

50635391593_e5103174bb_b.jpg