News Nikon 1" Sensor P&S - P8000

serhan

Hall of Famer
I didn't see this before whether it is posted here or not. Finally Nikon is bringing a 1" P&S, serious competition to RX100 and Canon G1X II, esp if they can keep the size closer to RX100 and have fast af from 1 series:
Updated Nikon Coolpix P8000 camera specifications - Nikon Rumors

Nikon Coolpix P8000

Here are the rumored P8000 specifications:
•The lens could be even faster than previously reported: f/1.8 - 3.0
•Maximum shutter speed: 1/8000 sec.
•The P8000 will use a new 1" Aptina sensor
•Expeed 3 imaging processor
•Magnesium body
•Comfortable grip similar to the Nikon P5100 and P6000 models
•Announcement in April-May 2014
•24- 120mm equivalent f/2.0 - 3.0 lens with 3 ED and 1 ASP glass elements
•1" inch sensor (first Coolpix with 1" sensor)
•3.0" LCD screen
•P A S M mode

Read more on NikonRumors.com: What to expect from Nikon in the next few months - Nikon Rumors

It doesn't say but I am guessing that it might not have one esp if they keep the size smaller to match to that 24-120 lens in comparison to long zoom cameras like Stylus 1/RX10.

viewfinder?

I love hearing about new cameras
means the old ones get cheaper

Well, it's about time someone began using a one-inch sensor in a camera other than a Sony RX100 or a Nikon 1. Moreover, Nikon has to respond to Canon's G1X Mark II. If the Nikon P8000 has an EVF like the P7800, a faster lens than the Canon, and is slightly smaller and lighter, many people might be willing to go with the smaller sensor.

Sounds interesting. I wonder what the price point will be, and will It hurt Nikon 1 sales.

Sent from my HTC One V using SeriousCompacts mobile app

I tried to find my post from a few months back, (but failed) where I said I would like a 1" sensor with 24-120 zoom plus EVF. Originally I said the Sony 1" but if Nikon can improve on that, and provide either an in-built or optional EVF, that this could be a real temptation for me.

Most probably it will have same Nikon 1 v3 sensor and external evf if they have that option, so we should know more about IQ of the sensor before its release...

I tried to find my post from a few months back, (but failed) where I said I would like a 1" sensor with 24-120 zoom plus EVF. Originally I said the Sony 1" but if Nikon can improve on that, and provide either an in-built or optional EVF, that this could be a real temptation for me.

Doesn't the Sony RX10 meet your specs? Does that camera fall short for you?

Back