Nikon Nikon 1 series officially discontinued

Nikon never gave full support to the Nikon 1 line...1 or two primes and a few zoom lenses.

Canon has done similar with their mirrorless ILCs.....I think they are worried they will just split their core customers into two groups rather than gain new ones. And maybe they're right.

The Nikon 1 J1 was my first interchangeable lens camera. For many reasons I did not bond well with it. Not all of my difficulties were Nikon's fault, and the lessons I learned from that camera help me appreciate my current Panasonic GM5.

I still have many J1 photos that I like.

DSC1587.JPG
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

DSC0704.JPG

If you used to follow the dcresource website you may recognize the above location: Chinatown, San Francisco.

As far as prices go, I have to agree. However, I got my V1 at a huge discount (less than a third of its original price), and I love the 18.5mm f/1.8. Shooting that combo has always been enjoyable (up to a point - but that's true for much more ambitious setups as well), and I have had some nice results. So, I'll keep the little warrior around for the foreseeable future. I'd be more dismaid if I had invested heavily into the system, though.

M.

Nikon and Canon are both set to announce and release full frame mirrorless cameras later this year. So the official discontinuing doesn’t surprise me.

I bought a used V1 + the two zooms for a steal - half of new cost. Added the 18.5mm. Then waited for the system to evolve.
And waited...
and waited...

And then I heard about the two 1" compacts Nikon was planning. I was interested. So I waited for them.
And waited...
and waited...

Oh well, my ex-wife has the V1 kit now...

I bought my V1 in 2013 when Jessops had it in sale for just under £200 and took it to Dubai that year. Got a lot of photos I've really liked in the 5 years I've had it. I only have the 18.5 and 30-110 lenses now and had thought of getting the wide angle zoom for it but glad I didn't now. Sod's law that if I got another lens for it it would stop working!
Such a shame that the 1" DL range was discontinued - that 18-50 equivalent version would have been a killer.

I have been really happy with my 1 series stuff but like John, waited and waited for updates... and I didnt have a wife to give my V1 to, so I still break it out once in a while. Here's some older stuff, since everyone is posting their 1 pix.

18.5 is a lovely lens!
6DD6FCDB-9715-4743-B572-F847CB608F04.jpeg

and the 30-110 does a decent job, too
C4E36CDC-691B-41ED-AAC6-543F7CF44262.jpeg

I also bought mine (both the V1 twin kit and the J1 with 10-30 and 10mm prime) at half the usual retail.

The abandonment of Nikon 1 seems bizarre to me in face of other 1-inch non-interchangeable-lens cameras apparently doing well.

But it is also a cautionary tale: when you are buying an ILC, you are buying a system. Maybe I am wrong, but it seems to me that the heart of any camera system are the lenses . . . you need to have lenses that will meet various shooters' needs. And it strikes me that having an announced, publicly available, lens roadmap is a great way reassure potential early adopters. (This assumes, of course, that you have competent camera bodies.) I wonder what drives the decision-making process at Nikon.

Cheers, Jock

I also bought mine (both the V1 twin kit and the J1 with 10-30 and 10mm prime) at half the usual retail.

Therein lies the crux of the matter. If Nikon had sold them new at those prices I think they would have flown off the shelves and purchased by people stepping up from phones and people already with other systems but looking for smaller packages and/or better AF. But Nikon did not want to cannibalize sales of their entry-level DSLRS and crippled the 1's chances from the start.

I actually advised three people to purchase the 1. They were all happy with their decision. One of them compared the output to a 7D and said there was not much of a difference, only megapickles.

Therein lies the crux of the matter. If Nikon had sold them new at those prices I think they would have flown off the shelves and purchased by people stepping up from phones and people already with other systems but looking for smaller packages and/or better AF. But Nikon did not want to cannibalize sales of their entry-level DSLRS and crippled the 1's chances from the start.

I actually advised three people to purchase the 1. They were all happy with their decision. One of them compared the output to a 7D and said there was not much of a difference, only megapickles.

Over here they were really expensive. The V1 twin kit that I bought had a retail price of $1288AUD and at the time, the exchange rate between AU and US was pretty much 1:1. Of course, ours included our GST. It was still a ridiculous price. I think the J1 kit was somewhere in the vicinity of $1000. I can't remember and its not on the box.

Two of my friends bought into Nikon1 based on photos I was posting on facebook at the time, one got a white V1 but only with a 10-30 and she's never gone further, instead, buying into Canon DSLR, and the other bought the waterproof version and still loves it, she and her husband do a lot of camping, hiking and fishing. It doesnt go in the water but they love it for its resistance to dust and other intrusion. They never take the lens off.

Anyway, a great system, now deceased.

My first Digital camera used a 1" sensor, over 25 years ago. Many people purchase interchangeable lens digital cameras to use with legacy lenses. The 1" sensor and it's 2.6x crop factor compared with traditional 35mm format made it a non-starter for me. Nikon obviously wanted a mirrorless system that would not cut into the sales of their DSLR line. Their traditional Nikon fans, like me, did not buy into it.

Nikon obviously wanted a mirrorless system that would not cut into the sales of their DSLR line.
I agree. I could almost smell the fear (of losing DSLR sales) on my Nikon 1 J1. :)
But, "If you don't cannibalize yourself, someone else will." - Steve Jobs.
Instead of Nikon cutting into the sales of their DSLRs, we have Olympus and Panasonic doing so at the low end, and Sony doing so at the mid and high end.

Back