Nikon 1 System Announced

Well, lots of naysayers, but personally, this is far closer to what I want in a camera than any thing else out there. Let's assume that the specs are reasonably accurate ... speed that blows away pro DSLRs, 5 FPS, standard, all the way up to ... 60 FPS ... why would I need a heavy, obese DSLR, that might be able to do 8 FPS? Images I've seen at 3200 ISO look pretty clean, and I would be thrilled for 1200 ISO clean, as I remember film. At base ISO, any compact can compete with anything else out there ... and add speed for the kids dance and athletic activities, I'm covered. Since my first serious camera, a Nikon F, built like a tank, and sounded like one, too, I've wanted small and quiet. Well, this appears to be small, quiet, and very competent, and innovative, in that confluence of video and still. Complaints, sure, I have plenty, but I can live with most of them. If I'm using aperture preferred, I'm probably on a tripod, so time is not an issue; I can go into a menu to set it, and if I'm street shooting, I would probably use one of the auto settings. Price, well, EVFs are expensive, and the Nikon seems right in there with what is offered elsewhere.

All this negative nattering ... even if the speed is somewhat hyperbolic, say it's only a 1/4 as fast as Nikon says, well, that is almost twice as fast as the big Pro DSLRs, aren't any of you paying attention? It seems to me that Nikon has done some engineering, and all the young whippersnappers are acting like ... well ... luddites. And, we haven't seen real world results, yet. PFUI!

While I would have like to see a EVIL Nikon with an APS-c sensor I suspect one of their main competition would be Nikon dSLR with APS-c sensor and what is the business senses of competing with yourself?

I think the business sense is that there are already APS-C CSC's out there competing with Nikon APS-C SLR's. This camera doesn't change that. If Nikon produced an APS-C CSC then they would also be competing with Nikon but either way Nikon is getting the sale.

Just checked out a few more specs of this compact. Man this thing is a speed demon....max shutter speed "1/16000sec"! That's lightning fast!!!

Nope, not my typo, though I can't vouch for the fingers pressing buttons over at dpreview! :laugh1:

Some test pics and commentary from Nikon.

Well not that impressive IQ-wise, even compared with the G12. Though guys listen up, if you buy one then there's a feather in your cap for liberating your feminine side. Nikon are saying this was geared towards the ladies and designed as a handbag camera.

The target is predominantly female and men have never understood this audience. Nikon have tried and the the J1 is the first Handbag Camera.

Nikon’s Masahiro Suzuki:

Basically, they’re currently compact-only users, but who are eager to step up, seeking a better quality image; but who feel that a DSLR would be too much, because of the complexity, or the bigger size. So, there’s some hesitation for a DSLR.

Really? Notwithstanding these words are pulled from an EOS context. Whomever has provided the spin, it's interesting to note that women are all about form and not function? They've obviously not seen what our ladies on here produce. Welcome back to the 1950's folks!

Well, lots of naysayers, but personally, this is far closer to what I want in a camera than any thing else out there. Let's assume that the specs are reasonably accurate ... speed that blows away pro DSLRs, 5 FPS, standard, all the way up to ... 60 FPS ... why would I need a heavy, obese DSLR, that might be able to do 8 FPS? Images I've seen at 3200 ISO look pretty clean, and I would be thrilled for 1200 ISO clean, as I remember film. At base ISO, any compact can compete with anything else out there ... and add speed for the kids dance and athletic activities, I'm covered. Since my first serious camera, a Nikon F, built like a tank, and sounded like one, too, I've wanted small and quiet. Well, this appears to be small, quiet, and very competent, and innovative, in that confluence of video and still. Complaints, sure, I have plenty, but I can live with most of them. If I'm using aperture preferred, I'm probably on a tripod, so time is not an issue; I can go into a menu to set it, and if I'm street shooting, I would probably use one of the auto settings. Price, well, EVFs are expensive, and the Nikon seems right in there with what is offered elsewhere.

All this negative nattering ... even if the speed is somewhat hyperbolic, say it's only a 1/4 as fast as Nikon says, well, that is almost twice as fast as the big Pro DSLRs, aren't any of you paying attention? It seems to me that Nikon has done some engineering, and all the young whippersnappers are acting like ... well ... luddites. And, we haven't seen real world results, yet. PFUI!

Excellent observations, couldn't agree more.

Well not that impressive IQ-wise, even compared with the G12.

All these comparisons are done with JPEGs out of the camera. Please download the raw files and take a close look. I have done this already. The image quality of the Nikon 1 seems to be very comparable to that of the E-PL1. I have used Raw Photo Processor for my comparisons. Since the sensor is so much smaller, its performance impresses me very much.

All these comparisons are done with JPEGs out of the camera. Please download the raw files and take a close look. I have done this already. The image quality of the Nikon 1 seems to be very comparable to that of the E-PL1. I have used Raw Photo Processor for my comparisons. Since the sensor is so much smaller, its performance impresses me very much.

I have yet to look at the RAW files since I don't have a RAW viewer for it. I might go and see if IR has some converted.....

Not to start a jpeg vs raw war here, but I use Jpeg almost exclusively. OOC jpegs are what I use when comparing cameras. Keep in mind, I completly understand this isn't a complete reflection of the sensor quality. Nikon needs to tone down their NR. They may have a way to do so in camera. The High ISO pictures actually aren't terrible, not too far behind the E-P1/E-PL2 that I have. The ISO 100-400 pictures I've seen though have more noise than they should, and more noise reduction than they should.

Dj

I think people are seeing the nikon strategy wrong,.......nikon are not concerned about any threat to their DSLR range, they are trying to leave the way clear for their APS-C and FF mirrorless models that they know they WILL have to make......

.....The cats out of the bag with mirrorless cameras now and EVERYONE has to take notice!

I think people are seeing the nikon strategy wrong,.......nikon are not concerned about any threat to their DSLR range, they are trying to leave the way clear for their APS-C and FF mirrorless models that they know they WILL have to make......

Maybe, but in the meantime me and most other people will have bought into another brand's system. Furthermore, the longer they wait, the more advanced everyone else's system will be (better technology, more lenses, accessories, etc.) so they're only hurting themselves by waiting.

Nikon and Canon are not too big to fail, or paint themselves into a niche...but they think they are. That's dangerous.

Nice ones retow. The B+Ws are highly evocative....and I have to say the colour ones remind me of my little corner of the Earth.

Love to see more. And I reckon a few more offerings and you'll convert a few folks yet. ;)

Back