Nikon 1 System Announced

Stop, stop...I don't want to want to buy anymore! Well, not quite yet. Reto, these are looking very good. I'd like to hear what you think about the camera as a whole and whether or not these photos are fairly straight out of the camera and more. I have to admit right now that I have not yet read a detailed review of this camera so there's quite a bit that I don't know.

How many lenses did you buy or are you using a zoom?

I have a pal on Flickr who recently bought one - and he's got the X100, too, and I'm guessing several other cameras.

So tell us the pluses in your view, Reto and is there anything you wish it did that it doesn't do?

The ability of this camera to freeze action in Af mode is impressive. Something I usually would use zone focusing for. But not with the V1.

Stop, stop...I don't want to want to buy anymore! Well, not quite yet. Reto, these are looking very good. I'd like to hear what you think about the camera as a whole and whether or not these photos are fairly straight out of the camera and more. I have to admit right now that I have not yet read a detailed review of this camera so there's quite a bit that I don't know.

How many lenses did you buy or are you using a zoom?

I have a pal on Flickr who recently bought one - and he's got the X100, too, and I'm guessing several other cameras.

So tell us the pluses in your view, Reto and is there anything you wish it did that it doesn't do?

I have the V1 with 10-30mm kit lens (27-81mm equivalent), the 30-110mm and the 10mm pancake. Of the lenses I have, the pancake and the 30-110mm get used most. I'm usually a raw shooter and use aperture for conversion of raw files. However, since aperture does not support N1 files yet, these are ooc jpegs, the B&W ones simply converted in iPhoto. To some minor PP has been applied in iPhoto. To me, the N1, i.e. J1 or V1 redefines the point and shoot category. Performance is on par with mid market level dslrs and IQ in good mft territory. The N1s are both, the perfect family fun still and video cameras and the best compact AF street shooters yet. Sure, the files of my GXR or the X100 are better, but the output from the V1 is "good enough" and the camera is so much fun to shoot with as it does not get into ones way. AF speed and accuracy and metering are truly impressive and the Nikon colors are really nice. A few quirks and warts will hopefully be addressed in FW upgrades, but all in all, I think Nikon did a remarkable job with the N1. Fast primes are allegedly in the works, which will make the system even more attractive.

Reto, thank you so much for taking the time to write your mini review. I really appreciate your views and like the idea that even as a RAW shooter that you are so happy with teh out of the camera jpegs and have done very little in post processing. As a matter of fact, as much as I enjoy enhancing my pictures, it's great to have the ability to get one's pictures as is with very little need to do much else. You're not the first to mention how fast the auto focus is. Auto focus is a must for me, or I'd be limited to statues due to my eyesight.

Thank you so much and please continue to add your thoughts and/or begin a whole new thread with your own personal review.

Retow, what AF mode are you using for street photos? And are you using multi points vs centerpoint vs face detect? Do you use burst or single photo? Thanks!!

Retow, what AF mode are you using for street photos? And are you using multi points vs centerpoint vs face detect? Do you use burst or single photo? Thanks!!

I tried center point and multi points and settled for the latter (for street, that is) and have the camera set to mechanical shutter burst mode (10 fps). Although I take single shots and burst very rarely. As you may know, with the completely silent electronic shutter, the V1 can take up to 60fps
at full resolution.

BB, Mark, Amin ... I think we need to create a subforum for Nikon 1 under the "compact system camera forum".

Does anyone else have a Nikon 1 other than Retow? Anyone, anyone, anyone? Bueller?

Back