Nikon Nikon 1 V1 vs. Sony NEX 5R

Hoff-

Hello everybody.

I have just ordered a V1 which is planned to arrive tomorrow.

I was pretty sure that the V1 was the camera that filled my needs.

But in the meantime I noticed Sony NEX 5R with 16-50mm lens only a few coins more expensive. This freaked me out because I thought that I finally had decided the V1.

But what do you think? Does the Sony NEX 5R have better image quality because of the larger sensor? Will I get more value for the money? I will miss the viewfinder, but image quality is also important.

I own a Nikon DSLR d5100 at the moment so I was planning on buying the FT1 adapter so I could use my current lenses.

I'm confused - any help would be appreciated. :)

Thank you in advance.

Greeting from Denmark. Sorry for eventually spelling mistakes. :)

Sendt fra min Samsung Galaxy S3 med Tapatalk

I guess it probably depends on why you decided to buy a compact in the first place. Here's something you might not have thought of... the lenses for the Sony are massive by comparison with those for the Nikon 1 system. If you want a fairly lightweight system to use instead of or as a backup to your DSLR, the V1 will be fine. Also, it has a viewfinder which your selected Sony does not.

IN the end, it really does depend why you wanted it in the first place...

Without doubt the image quality from the sony would be a lot better but i am sure you will not be disappointed with the Nikon output.
And the viewfinder is great.

I think the NEX6 with 16-50 (6 has a viewfinder) is $799 at B&H and Adorama you get a nice kit too. I would rather have that than either of the others.

Nikon has much faster AF in good light, I got stellar results using the FT-1 adapter and an 80mm 1.4. The Sony on the other hand, should be the NEX 6 as LisaO recommended, much larger sensor, adaptable lenses and nice built in EVF.

Actually I bought the J2 first but regretted in the last minute because I thought the viewfinder on the V1 would be useful when using my zoom lenses from my DSLR. I have a consumption that it's easier with a viewfinder on long distance.

The NEX6 is unfortunately over my budget. It looks very nice though.

Does anyone btw know if you are able to use the Nikkor lenses from my DSLR on the NEX-series with an adapter of course, and if so will the autofocus work or is it full manually?

Sorry for bringing NEX talk into the Nikon 1 area. :)

I'm sure no one minds the comparison and NEX talk.

The NEX will give better IQ, especially in low light circumstances. The V1 will be almost unbeatable in autofocus speed at the moment, and that may make the difference for some. No matter how good the IQ is, if you miss the shot, it's gone. Hence, it really depends on your use.

The Nikkor lenses won't autofocus on the NEX (to my knowledge), however you will get single point autofocus using the Nikon FT-1 with just about any lens that will focus on your D5100.

Having a D5100 & lenses already, the V1 sounds like a good companion camera! I find the Viewfinder on the V1 really nice, and you should get similar number of shots from a single charge on the V1 as you would on the D5100.

Thank you very much. I tried the NEX 5R a couple of days ago and concluded that I really couldn't live without viewfinder.

I have decided to spend some more money. This time looking for the V2, NEX6 and 7.

I must say that the Nikon autofocus speed is fantastic. But I think the image quality looks better on the NEX. Arrrgh, I want both. :)

I don't know where you are located, but B&H has some used nex 6's if you are looking for a deal, starting from $550:
Used Mirrorless Cameras | B&H Photo Video

I bought mine used from B&H after a couple of months of its release and no problems so far... I can af Canon ef lenses with adapters but it is very slow. However, it is one of the best cameras for manual focusing and you can adapt pretty much every lens. Nex-7 has better resolution but corners have problems, eg lower resolution then even 14MP nex-5 with nex-lenses per photozone tests. DSLR lenses might not have that problem with long distance from sensor to the lens but rangefiner/nex lenses have lower resolution and/or color changes on the corners. New nex-7 will not have a AA filter which may resolve these issues but it might be more expensive then already reduced nex-6/7 prices.

I'm very hooked on the NEX 6. I'm located in Denmark. The price here is $1100

A very interesting thread.
I had a NEX5.
Image quality was excellent. High ISO performance was better than my D300S.
I used it at night.
I never carried it otherwise. I am a photographer, not a collector. :)
At the time, Sony only had the NEX7. I resisted paying more money, after buying a camera that did not meet my needs.
I returned my camera, two lenses and bought an Olympus OMD.

So I have been there.

Since then, I have bought an N1V1 and two lenses. Rest assured, the gear acquisition monster is never satisfied. I gave in to fire sale prices.

Dave

Back