Leica Showcase Nikon 10.5cm F2.5 Nikkor-PC LTM

Brian

Product of the Fifties
This is a Sonnar formula lens, first introduced in 1952. It was produced in Nikon S-Mount, Contax RF Mount, Leica Thread Mount, and Nikon F-Mount. In 1973 or so, the Nikkor 105/2.5 changed to a Planar formula, supposedly a little bit sharper.

This 1952 lens is known for it's out-of-focus background, was purposely designed under-corrected for spherical aberration. This makes it a great portrait lens.

These are all at F2.5, on the M9. Relatively low shutter speeds, shots were close to sunset.
L1007543.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)
L1007554.jpg
L1007552.jpg
L1007551.jpg

Last edited:
Lovely shots, Brian. Very smooth character to the blur - I can see how it would be great for portraits.

More with the 105/2.5, with a YellowK2 filter on the M Monochrom, at F4 and F2.5.
Taken at Mt Vernon.
L1001529.jpg
L1001470.jpg
L1001484.jpg
L1001489.jpg
L1001496.jpg
L1001513.jpg
L1001527.jpg

Last edited:
I paid $300 for this one, a few years ago on rangefinderforum.com. Prices of lenses are up a bit, but this one should run "about" $350~$500, depending on condition. Telephoto lens prices are more reasonable than 50mm and wide-angle lenses. It takes the Nikon "standard" 52mm filters and hoods. I use the hood made for the RF lens, which is not as deep as the SLR hood. The latter creeps more into the viewfinder.

Thanks for the info Brian. Good to know the range. I might get one. I got an offer for one at $450.00. I just need to know more about the condition.

Thankyou- I think this is my all-time favorite Telephoto. It was specifically designed to provide smooth out-of-focus areas, 60 years ago.

My experience- the 90mm framelines give a almost a 100% FOV for the Nikkor. Roland on RFF worked this out on a thread, that 90mm framelines designed for 0.7m would really match a 105 at 5ft or so.

Looks spot-on to me! Whatever assumptions that Nikon made about film being flat in a camera, worked out for using with a modern Digital Leica. That is not true of all manufacturers.

The 90mm framelines are accurate for the Nikkor 10.5cm focal length.

This is a great lens, for sure. I'm getting old and shaky, but it was not hard at all to nail the focus. It balances nicely on the camera too. The only fault is that it mounts a bit too far to the left - the scale tilts to the left and the tripod mount to the right. I't makes no difference in daily use, as it raises the 90mm frame lines and focuses perfectly. The 90mm frame lines are fine with this lens.

I believe I'm the one who sold the lens to Paxnobiscum. Hope/glad it's working out for him =)

That lens is pretty nice, I had actually forgotten how good it was until I carried it around to use/take test shots for demonstration.

Welcome for Leicaplace!

It looks good- I've used a Nikkor 105/2.5 for over 35 years now. The Sonnar formula is amazing, was designed 60 years ago to give smooth out-of-focus areas "decades" before the word "Bokeh" was invented for it.

Back