Nikon 200mm f/4 non-Ai

Feb 6, 2015
Central Ohio, USA
Andrew
Stopped by the camera store today, have not been there for a while looking for anything in particular...but I wanted to see if they had a manual focus 200/4 or 135/2.8. They had both!

I was hoping that the 200/4 would be the AI version, but not today. Price seemed OK and I wanted to try it out, so pulled the trigger. Glass was not perfect, but I've used worse with little to no ill effects - usually just worse flair performance.

So why the 200/4? While I love to use the Nikon 180/2.8 ED AIS, there are times when I don't need the f/2.8 or want to bring that size of a lens along. I heard good things about the 200/4. I used to own the 200/4 Q version and it performed well, but was very long.

This is an example of the lens that I got.
From this site.

I did not get much "trigger" time with it on the Nikon Df today and I may try and work with it again here soon on the Z6.

It was lunch time pretty soon after purchase, and got this image. Uncropped, and just a lightly massaged JPG from the Df.
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

I'm a fan of the bokeh here and in good light, f/4 is a good base to start anyway. I still need to shoot with it more and see how it compares to simialr shots against the 180/2.8 ED AIS.

Anyone else have thoughts on this lens? Would love to hear them!! :)
Share your images here too!!

rayvonn

All-Pro
Jan 19, 2015
Pretty sure it’ll be the same optically as the 135mm ais in which case you’re laughing. The only reason I didn’t get the same Nikkor is that I already bought a pristine 200mm F4 Takumar for peanuts. Having that as well as the Nikkor for me would be overload.

mnhoj

gee aahrr
Jan 27, 2012
Los Angeles
John
Here's my copy. Non-AI(K?).
Haven't used it much but it makes nice images and has a wonderful mechanical feel - smooth focus.

A sample from this afternoon showing it's OOF.

And one on a PN-1 extension tube. Cuts down the long min. focus and adds a tripod mount. A nice distance for non macro flora close ups.
Nikon 200mm F4k with PN-1 by john m, on Flickr

Feb 6, 2015
Central Ohio, USA
Andrew
Got a chance to use this lens on the Z6 at the Cincinnati Zoo. It did well, I feel.

Latest posts

Latest threads

Top Bottom