News Nikon 58mm f0.95 for the Z-Series - what a Beast!

Yeah, the original promise of Mirrorless is mostly a lie now - although m4/3 are keeping it alive, Fuji to a lesser extent after having produced the XH-1.

And just like that, Leica 50 Noctilux is very compact. Of course between 50mm and 58mm at F 0.95 the difference in aperture sizes is absolutely huge so the amount of glass must correlate. (The area of a 50mm circle = 19.6 cm² ; for 58mm circle it's 26.4 cm²)

If I were a commercial portrait shooter, 58/.95 would be a very, very interesting lens. I just like it a bit wider. This thing must be designed for those kind of portrait photogs, and judging by the size, designed for studio work and designated jobs. Unlike the Leica, which many happily take outside for casual shooting.

The best bargain for a Super-Speed lens is the Voigtlander Nokton 50/1.1 at $700 new, and the 7Artisans 50/1.1 at $369 new. The Nokton is best for those shooting mirrorless cameras with thicker filter stacks over the sensor. The rear element of the 7artisans lens is very close to the sensor, which works very well on a Leica or for film. The Nokton has a long/drawn out optical path that handles digital sensors quite well. That extra 1/3rd of an F-Stop costs too much for me. Plus, I have the Canon 50/0.95- bought when they were out of fashion and only $200. In 10 years, the 50/1.1 Nokton may gain the appreciation that it deserves.

View attachment 141773

Voigtlander 50/1.1, wide-open on the M Monochrom.

Last edited:
Back