Nikon Coolpix A Announced! APS-C Compact with 28mm Equivalent f/2.8 Lens

I don't understand why they can't put grips on these cameras (like the Ricoh GRD). The lens sticks out a bit anyway and a grip would really help.

You have handle one of these cameras? I don't think they have been released. It does actually have a grip. I think the Nikon will be really nice--I like both my E-P1 and RX-1.

28/2.8 just seems so blah. 43/1.9 would be so much more interesting....

I find 28 absolutely fascinating! F2.8, not fascinating, but more than adequate with a sensor that'll do 6400 pretty easily. 43, f 1.9 I wouldn't even give a second glance. Seems so blah...

I guess blah and interesting are in the eye of the beholder...

-Ray

I find 28 absolutely fascinating! F2.8, not fascinating, but more than adequate with a sensor that'll do 6400 pretty easily. 43, f 1.9 I wouldn't even give a second glance. Seems so blah...

I guess blah and interesting are in the eye of the beholder...

-Ray

28mm lens on APS-C is interesting... ;)

I think a lot of GRD shooters are carefully checking out this camera (and so are Ricoh itself I'm sure)! Everyone has their favorite focal lengths - 28 is one of mine.

Welcome to the forum.

Olympus 45mm f/1.8 lens is pretty small. You can combine that with e-pm2 as a small 90mm package with sensor stabilization.

Wish somebody would do a 90mm-e or 100mm-e APS-C camera this size.

Pair it with a Coolpix A or X100s, and I'd be travel ready.

Welcome to the forum.

Thanks. I've been lurking for a while. :)

Amin's sites are a pleasant change from the zoo-like atmosphere of DPReview's forums.

Olympus 45mm f/1.8 lens is pretty small. You can combine that with e-pm2 as a small 90mm package with sensor stabilization.

Yes, that actually is what I had in mind for a 2 camera travel kit... the Olympus 45/1.8 on a Panasonic GF5 (or similar) and a Fuji X100s. That gives me the two focal lengths I care about most, with prime-lens big-sensor image quality, in a small and light kit. The redunancy of a 2nd camera is also insurance against battery or mechanical failures.

The other option I was considering was an LX7 or X20 + GF5 with 45/1.8.

I've been vacillating back and forth between those two possibilities. I have until June (my next trip) to make up my mind.

Yes, that actually is what I had in mind for a 2 camera travel kit... the Olympus 45/1.8 on a Panasonic GF5 (or similar) and a Fuji X100s. That gives me the two focal lengths I care about most, with prime-lens big-sensor image quality, in a small and light kit. The redunancy of a 2nd camera is also insurance against battery or mechanical failures.

I've been vacillating back and forth between those two possibilities. I have until June (my next trip) to make up my mind.

The question of a X20 or LX7 vs. a X100s comes down to your desire for large sensor image quality + 35mm vs small sensor + zoom. How important is image quality for you, compared with the flexibility of a zoom in a small camera?

With a Panasonic 14/2.5, you would have a 28mm equivalent along with the 90mm of the Oly 45. You'd be covered at 28 and 90, and if you add the X100s, you'd have the middle covered as well.

I have to say that even though I have the Ricoh GXR 28 and love the image quality, I use the OM-D with the Panasonic 14/2.5 much more because it is much faster, focus is silent, and it has an excellent movie mode. I'm wondering if the focus speed and movie quality of the Nikon A will be up to the level of the OM-D, because each new camera makes me raise my standards. The video on YouTube of the focus speed does not look promising at all, though. The focus hunts a lot, and misses focus unsettlingly often. At least the GXR 28 locks on very reliably, even though it's a bit slow and noisy.

Thanks. I've been lurking for a while. :)

Amin's sites are a pleasant change from the zoo-like atmosphere of DPReview's forums.

My two camera vacation combo lately has been x100 and rx100. The rx100 set in iAuto can be handed to anyone to take a picture of my wife and I. The quality of the images are good enough to stand on their own. M43 overall iq has gotten better since my gf1 days.. But I since getting the xp1, have not gone back..

Gary

Now this is interesting. The Nikon A is smaller and has far less protrusions that the Fuji X10! While it lacks a viewfinder and zoom, the Nikon A's smallness is impressive. It's definitely taller and longer than the Sony RX-100, but the Sony is a very small camera to begin with. I can see the Nikon A very easily slipping into a jacket pocket or cargo pants, or taking up very little space in a shoulder bag.

Compare camera dimensions side by side

Is the fastest shutter speed 1/2000? If so does it have a built in ND filter? That would really limit when you could use apertures below F4. I think they sell an filter adapter though for $130.

Pentax GRD5:)

According to photorumors.com:

"Pentax will introduce also a new compact APS-C based camera similar to the new Nikon Coolpix A which will be priced at around $700 ($400 cheaper than the Coolpix A). Maybe this will be the Ricoh GR Digital V camera that is rumored to have an APS-C sensor?"

The pricing sounds right if it comes with GRD5 package...

Pentax rumored to announce several new DSLRs and a new compact APS-C camera | Photo Rumors

According to photorumors.com:

"Pentax will introduce also a new compact APS-C based camera similar to the new Nikon Coolpix A which will be priced at around $700 ($400 cheaper than the Coolpix A). Maybe this will be the Ricoh GR Digital V camera that is rumored to have an APS-C sensor?"

The pricing sounds right if it comes with GRD5 package...

Pentax rumored to announce several new DSLRs and a new compact APS-C camera | Photo Rumors

If it's f/2 with a retractable lens, that would be VERY tempting to me. I'm not really an 28mm shooter, but a small enough camera with decent handling could probably get me to switch.

The question of a X20 or LX7 vs. a X100s comes down to your desire for large sensor image quality + 35mm vs small sensor + zoom. How important is image quality for you, compared with the flexibility of a zoom in a small camera?

Most important to me are image quality, size and weight. I mostly zoom with my feet. The 45/1.8 would be mainly for flatter perspective and shallow DOF.

The main attraction of the X20 and LX7 would be for macro and deep DOF shots. I'm not sure which has the better lens.

With a Panasonic 14/2.5, you would have a 28mm equivalent along with the 90mm of the Oly 45. You'd be covered at 28 and 90, and if you add the X100s, you'd have the middle covered as well.

The Panasonic 14/2.5 is nice. If I get the GF5, I'd certainly get it with the 14, and not the zoom. As a 2nd body, small and light are the most important to me.

I have to say that even though I have the Ricoh GXR 28 and love the image quality, I use the OM-D with the Panasonic 14/2.5 much more because it is much faster, focus is silent, and it has an excellent movie mode. I'm wondering if the focus speed and movie quality of the Nikon A will be up to the level of the OM-D, because each new camera makes me raise my standards. The video on YouTube of the focus speed does not look promising at all, though. The focus hunts a lot, and misses focus unsettlingly often. At least the GXR 28 locks on very reliably, even though it's a bit slow and noisy.

The Nikon A is exactly the type of camera I want, in terms of size and weight, but its FOV is a little wider than what I'm used to and f/2.8 is a little slower than I was hoping for. Also, I'm not sure that I trust Nikon to pull off version 1 of this camera without bugs, or marketing dept imposed limitations. I think I'd put more faith in Ricoh/Pentax in that regard.

Back