Nikon Nikon Coolpix P3300

Mayank

Veteran
Looks pretty appealing to me: Nikon Coolpix P330 Hands-on Preview: Digital Photography Review

It has the same 1/1.7", 12 m.p. sensor as in the P7700, which got a pretty decent rating at DXO mark for RAW IQ:
Nikon Coolpix P7700 - DxOMark

It has RAW mode, plenty of manual controls and a 24-120mm equivalent lens in a pocketable form factor. Looks pretty appealing on paper but I can't help wondering if the lens, like that of the Canon S110, is overambitious and if it will deliver in terms of contrast, sharpness, geometric distortions and aberrations. One term that seems missing from the text around the lens is "ED" :eek:

I’ve been using the Nikon Coolpix P330 for a few days. I’m starting to like it. Here are a few photos:

DSCN0064.JPG
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

DSCN0074.JPG

DSCN0130.JPG

DSCN0223.JPG

DSCN0119.JPG

DSCN0109.JPG

It’s been a while since I’ve owned a camera this small. It’s nice to just throw it in a pocket and head out for a walk. I really like the 24-120 zoom range, and getting that range in a camera with a larger sensor requires a significantly larger camera. It starts to feel like the camera is taking me for a walk, rather than the other way around.

Image quality is OK. Color, tonality, and malleability of RAW files are all decent. Detail and soft corners at wide angles are not worse than other cameras of this size I have owned.

I haven’t used the GPS, and probably never will. I would be more likely to use the Wi-Fi in the P340, but not all that likely. I got a good deal on this camera (in white!), so no regrets about the Wi-Fi.

All in all, this is a Compact that I can be Serious about. The fact that, “They don’t make ‘em like this anymore,” is sad, but I can understand why. A bigger camera with a superzoom lens or a 1” sensor is easier to sell to people who are ready for something better than a phone camera.

Back